Definitive Coilover Thread

heartagram

• 2 weeks later...

vmax are the same as the ta ones.. pretty much all the budget ones are made in the same factory in the netherlands and then sent out the door with a different branded sticker..

how come they are much more expensive??

different brands put different markups for when they set there RRP. They may not necessarily get them in at the same price due to volumes etc. trade discounts they offer retailers can also vary restricting how much a retail outlet can supply to a customer at.

Edited by Kam Racing

• 2 weeks later...

different brands put different markups for when they set there RRP. They may not necessarily get them in at the same price due to volumes etc. trade discounts they offer retailers can also vary restricting how much a retail outlet can supply to a customer at.

Are FK streets considered budget? They're £40 more than joms, are they worth that extra £40?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here had any experiences with Spax RSX? I'm looking for some coilovers with good adjustability for track use. I would like to go with KW but they don't offer V3 for GTI :unsure: Spax seems to have the adjustability that I'm looking for. I just don't know how are they against corrosion and how is the quality? Also are there camber plates available for GTI? I have seen some been installed here but they all seem to require a lot of modifications to the top mount.

• 1 month later...

9095963589_d5c772094b_b.jpg

9095963973_e02fcaa437_b.jpg

9095963181_e2e83e5513_b.jpg

6 Months after fitting AP's. Cant tighten or un-tighten as the hex has corroded so badly it has sheared as soon as i turned it. Very disappointed how they've rusted in this short time, warranty dosent cover rusting either.

Other than that, fantastic ride quality, would buy again if they sort out the rusting.

Edited by Trx 33

• 2 weeks later...

hello..
Dont´t you have a problem with "stabilizer" (I don´t know, how its right in english; torsion rod to chassis)? I have only lower springs with sh.-absorber, probably -80mm (maybe more) and now I cannot go lower, because the "stabilizer" now is cca 5mm from chassis/cabin.

How can you go lower without cutting to chassis?? :surprise:

Now it´s my lowering:

https://fbcdn-sphoto...095496634_n.jpg

37040_481189491952186_1974223425_n.jpg

Edited by DyDy

• 3 months later...

I know everyone here says that KW V1 are the best but how do they compare to the AP (in terms of ride, handling and comfort) which are also highly rated ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at the FK silverlines and have heard that the rear springs on the silverlines allow you to get the rear of the lupo much lower than other set ups without taking the adjusters out

Does anyone here run silverlines or anybody know if this is the case?

Edited by hoxmeister

I know everyone here says that KW V1 are the best but how do they compare to the AP (in terms of ride, handling and comfort) which are also highly rated ?

You would have to find someone who has run both to compare. My GTI has had KW V1s on my GTI since nearly new and they are still comfy and performing well. Coating has now come off the springs though @ 56,000 miles.

Are JOM coilover any good? Anyone used them? Got a £200 budget or can anyone recogmend better ones in this price range?

If you are going cheap; most of the cheap brands are actually the same hardware, but labelled differently, so you may as well go for the cheapest. Don't expect top notch performance\handling though.

JOM @ £178.99: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-1-0-1-4-16V-1-6GTi-1-4TDi-1-7SDi-99-JOM-Coilovers-Kit-741071-/330856805340?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d089a33dc