Poly Engine Mount Bushes

CasperGTI

I thought i might aswell see how many people would be interested in these as im going to get a set made and it would be cheaper if a load of sets were made.

I am going to send off my engine mounts to a company who are going to produce a set of the rubber bushes and spacers in the engine mounts out of polycarbonate which is a much stiffer material.

Please put down in here if you would be itnerested. This will probably go in to producton over the next 2-3 weeks as i definatly need them whatever.

Im guessing that they may cost in the region of £125-£150 a set. But i really dont know at all.

John

Lowers the engine movement, which in turn allows the enigne to put more of its available power to the gearbox. And also increases the handling as the engine does not bounce about as much.

sorry for the lame explanation, thats how i understand it anyway.

John

I would advise that you dont do this unless you have to restrict engine movement for other reasons VW will have made the mounts with some movement in them to absorb shock by making them stronger / less give will transfer this energy elsewhere and wear out components within the drivetrain.

Also if you intend to change both the engine and gearbox mounting bushes you will feel a lot more vibraton through the car, the gain is far less that the later problems which it may cause .

If you only want to reduce the rocking movement see the link below -

http://www.monkeytuner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=847

The chap wanted to restrict movement of the engine in his elise and filled the old torque mount with liquid rubber now this works as the standard mount is kept and the liquid rubber is just added into the mount , he didnt touch his engine mounts though .

I have don the same thing with my Lotus Elise as the Honda lump i put in was a lot bigger than the Rover K lump so it would make contact with the chassis when in use so i made some custom torque mounts and filled them with liquid rubber to stiffen them up .

karl

The stainless exhaust you are talking about is supplied with a flexi piece welded in ! if not i would suggest you get one as you will need to bolt the engine direct to the chassis before it stops breaking it .

Well that's an interesting opinion...I thought the main reason was down to passenger comfort rather than wearing out other components.

I know what you mean by Vibration...my mate had this done to his G40 and the whole car vibrated (especially the seats) like a vibrator. It was quite bad and the engine didn't sit level.

The stainless exhaust you are talking about is supplied with a flexi piece welded in ! if not i would suggest you get one as you will need to bolt the engine direct to the chassis before it stops breaking it .

Yeah mine had a flexi pipe on the downpipe but it didn't stop both rear exhaust hangars snapping off.

Ok so thats one... plus me, lol

I need them, with 220bhp i think the engine may dissapear through the slam panel with the ammount the gti engine rocks anyway. Of the charger will leave a print in the front grille!

Ill update when i know more.

John

Ok so thats one... plus me, lol

I need them, with 220bhp i think the engine may dissapear through the slam panel with the ammount the gti engine rocks anyway. Of the charger will leave a print in the front grille!

Ill update when i know more.

John

Cool so you have a right little fire breathing beast .

• 5 months later...

Cant recommend up-rating the engine mounts enough, got inserts fitted to mine on the civic to firm things up and the difference is great.

The gear shift is now much more precise, and pick up on the clutch is more paddle clutch like, power is their instantly with no lag, and there is no longer any hop if the wheels spin.

Downside is the extra noise in the cabin, the car vibrating on idle and its slightly harder to drive in traffic.

If you cant get the mounts what about making something like this fit. http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?...id_product=4612

:)

I would advise that you dont do this unless you have to restrict engine movement for other reasons VW will have made the mounts with some movement in them to absorb shock by making them stronger / less give will transfer this energy elsewhere and wear out components within the drivetrain.

Also if you intend to change both the engine and gearbox mounting bushes you will feel a lot more vibraton through the car, the gain is far less that the later problems which it may cause .

If you only want to reduce the rocking movement see the link below -

http://www.monkeytuner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=847

The chap wanted to restrict movement of the engine in his elise and filled the old torque mount with liquid rubber now this works as the standard mount is kept and the liquid rubber is just added into the mount , he didnt touch his engine mounts though .

I have don the same thing with my Lotus Elise as the Honda lump i put in was a lot bigger than the Rover K lump so it would make contact with the chassis when in use so i made some custom torque mounts and filled them with liquid rubber to stiffen them up .

karl

where do you get liquid rubber from?

• 3 weeks later...
Cant recommend up-rating the engine mounts enough, got inserts fitted to mine on the civic to firm things up and the difference is great.

I had them on the ITR, certainly wouldn't bother unless you value reponsiveness far greater than anooying rattles and comfort! I had a full set of Mugen ones on mine, supposed to be 20% stiffer, made the whole car rattle. Did feel better though.

Are there *any* uprated engine mounts for the Lupo? Can't find anything on the web...

• 11 years later...
On 2/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, Pedrodct said:

Did you manage to get the engine mounts, if yes can I buy some please thank you.

12 year old thread 😂

...try Kamracing

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/volkswagen/vw-lupo/suspension.html

Mine came with a custom solid insert on the big disc area, still has rubber bush at the small end - didn't experience old mount - but engine is in there good and solid front to back without any annoying vibrations:

image.png.582cd0e93cdd26d2dc0030f69036e489.png

Cant imagine getting a disc of aluminium turned to size will be very expensive 

or dependant on size a hockey puck could be installed here.

edit - stumbled on an in-situ before powder coating picture:

KyJr9C.jpg

Edited by LR5V