new vw, probably chico

lupolot

mods can you delete the posts from people confusing the new chico with the old one. there is no argument here. please read the thread properly before commenting.

Nobody here is confused mate, we all know that the picture i posted was of the old Chico circa 1990ish iirc. There is also no argument either :wacko:

Haha, sorry mate no can do - he doesnt listen to me anymore :lol:

Meanwhile, back on topic...Is this just a childish wind up or a re VW really producing a new car? Coz i love the new Rocco, and so far the Mk6 is looking fine - so another new dub (Chico or not) could be a good thing :)

With beach, sorry, lupolot, anythings possible.

Back on topic, I think VW's venture back into the true small car arena will have to be a hit, cars like the new KA, 500 and others are just too good. Even the current Panda is better built and better designed to fit its need than the Fox ever was, and that Panda is due a replacement fairly soon.

Whatever VW come up with will have to be effective, and I'm actually quite optimistic.

i didnt know it had a problem in cross winds, do you have a link? or are you referring to the test cars which were rear engined? these had stability issues in cross winds. but the up is front engined now.

yup, older rear engines ones.

Yup economy...5" smaller wheels = quicker rolling radius...otherwise known as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the wheels.

Small wheels = Economy...get it right VW!!!

And what do you mean its not to do with stability in cross winds? The VW Up! is a big FAIL because it can't handle cross winds...I was merely stating the obvious to VW.

Why are small wheels more economical, have you not heard of gearing? If you do some research, you will find that there are more advantages to larger wheels apart from the increase in unsprung weight.

You seem very well informed about the UP. Rear engined cars sometimes have issues in cross winds however I think VW have abandoned the rear engined concept with the UP which is a great shame IMO. Sod the cross winds, there are real advantages to rear engined vehicles, quieter, less complex transmission (no issues with steering the driven wheels), power to the driven wheels at the right end (when vehicles accelerate the CofG transfers to the rear which favours rear wheel drive).

Why are small wheels more economical, have you not heard of gearing? If you do some research, you will find that there are more advantages to larger wheels apart from the increase in unsprung weight.

Gearing makes a difference yes...that's why my 3 cylinder Polo can barely achieve 20mph in 1st gear without revving the timing chain off it. We all know that smaller wheels require less work from the engine to turn...and going from typical 14" wheels to an 18" alloy is not the best of things nor the cheapest of things.

14" steels would do the trick and is cost effective. Or you could put 18" wheels on it and call it a Lupo 4x4. That and how expensive are 18" tyres compared to 14" tyres?

As I have said many times above...I was merely pointing out the obvious of things. No need to imply I'm thick...research boy.

Edited by Niche

Gearing makes a difference yes...that's why my 3 cylinder Polo can barely achieve 20mph in 1st gear without revving the timing chain off it. We all know that smaller wheels require less work from the engine to turn...and going from typical 14" wheels to an 18" alloy is not the best of things nor the cheapest of things.

14" steels would do the trick and is cost effective. Or you could put 18" wheels on it and call it a Lupo 4x4. That and how expensive are 18" tyres compared to 14" tyres?

As I have said many times above...I was merely pointing out the obvious of things. No need to imply I'm thick...research boy.

Wheel diameter alone is nothing to do with it. It's all about the rolling radius of the tyre and the final drive of the gearbox.

Yup economy...5" smaller wheels = quicker rolling radius...otherwise known as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to spin the wheels.

Small wheels = Economy...get it right VW!!!

You don't half come out with some good ones :lol:

Thankfully, VW have a much better grasp of engineering than you do.