Insurance question

DanK

The other night i was stopped at the traffic lights with people crossing, was sitting there for about 30 seconds and then some stupid girl slammed into the back of me, we got out, exchanged details and i said i would contact her in the morning when i can have a good look at the damage in the daylight.

Theres a dent on my rear bumper and as its plastic the paint has cracked round the outside of the dent, theres a few scratches and grazes. Anyhoooo i contacted her, her and her mum came round to have a look and have contacted their insurance company who have just called me up.

They said its totally their fault and the repairs will be carried out which is fine by me but the only problem is that they have said the repairs will be carried out at a pretty shabby bodyshop to be honest, bad reviews, poor quality repairs.

Im pretty sure but am just double checking that im well within my rights to say no, i want the repairs carried out at a bodyshop of my choice as i want a decent job?

If i am well within my rights to say that then obviously i want the best service so it makes sense going to VW for the repairs. Now my other question is do VW have on site bodyshops? It may sound a stupid question but im pretty sure the one near me doesn't

Thanks for any help :D

I think some will but others will have a local one they have approved.

And I also think you are able to specify it to go to a certain bodyshop, but the repairs may take longer as the insurance will often send out assessors to make sure the bodyshop isn't doing a dodgy repair. If the one the insurance want it to go to aren't VW approved and the one you want it to go to are, thats a good argument for it to go there.

This recent thread on SCN (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196237) is a similar situation to yours and has come good points, especially this one:

Stuart. Your insurance aren't paying for the repair so they shouldn't be dictating where you have to take it. They have their procedures but that's mainly for a claim on your policy where they control the costs. This isn't a claim on your policy, but on someone elses. If you want to take it to Seat then push for it. I'd also ask Seat how this would affect the anti corrosion warranty (in writing) and if they say the warranty will be invalidated by third party work then you'll have a choice to make as to where it gets done. Ultimately the other partys insurers are going to be paying the bill so they may have some say in where it gets done.
Edited by lunalupi

Thanks for that, seems to be pretty much the same situation however mine is ALOT less damage than that, on mine theres only a dent the size of your fist on the bumper and some grazing.

Im not going through my insurance, im getting the repairs payed for by her insurance so im going to try and push for the repairs to be carried out at VW.

If not then i have a friend who has a friend who owns a bodyshop, quality is superb and is local to me but theres no hire car facility at that bodyshop which i need.

Are you sure that she is using her insurance? Given the amount of damage you describe, it sounds like she might be paying for it herself, hence using a cheap place.

I got a call from quinn insurance saying they have spoken to her client (the girl who bumped me) and because its obviously their fault they will pay for the repairs.

I haven't contacted my insurance as theres no need to, ill be claiming from her.

I did say to the girl that ill be happy to get a quote from a bodyshop and she pays for it but for some reason they want to go through insurance

Edited by DanK

Your insured with quinn, or bell?

If its motorworld in portsmouth then avoid them like the plague! My car went back to them 4 times for corrective work as they screwed it up differently every time.

I had all sorts go wrong, they were working on the rear wing, and managed to scratch the roof and blow in the front bumper with some blue paint! they missed a patch on my bumper and gave ti back to me in grey primer too! They dont use VAG paint either, some thing stuff, and you can onyl tell this when you go to machine polish it and it behaves totally different to the rest of the car.

They guys there are very nice if you confront them to the face, over the phone then there complete wasters. Id just avoid it as they do things on the cheap....

Hope that helps

John

No im insured with Norwich union but i haven't contacted them and the girls insurance (quinn) contacted me saying they will pay for the repairs, i live in farnborough so im pretty sure the repairs will be carried out locally.

You do NOT have to use a bodyshop they choose.

You have 2 options:

1) Wait for it to go through officially as a non-fault claim for you (ie wait for the other party to officially accept liability) and then go to the bodyshop of your choice or

2) Go to the bodyshop of your choice now, but you might have to pay your excess now and claim it back off the other party once they're accepted liability.

I had a stupid tart drive into the side of me at some traffic lights and I went for the first option - unfortuntely for me, she failed to notify her insurance company and I had to wait for her insurance company to contact her. She then failed to reply to her insurance company and they legally had to accept liability on her behalf 28 days later. Eventually, 3 months after she hit me, I was finally able to get my car repaired.

In the past I've usually gone for option 2 as my insurance company at the time always said that due to the nature of the claim I would definately be able to claim my excess back. In fact I do believe on 2 occasions they waived it completely for me.

Thats good, spoke to a top guy today who owns a small bodyshop, mainly does work on custom american cars but knows his stuff. He said to avoid the bodyshop which the girls insurance has suggested as the work there is so poor quality.

Ive spoken to her insurance on the phone and the woman admitted that its their fault completely, i havent contacted my insurance yet, i think i should though as they can advise me what to do, ive been given some good comments about a bodyshop in camberly so ill be letting her insurance company ide rather go there.

Thanks for the help guys

Just make sure you also declare it as a non fault to your insurance company or that is a loop hole and they can cancel back to inception (when ur insurance started-which could be years)

when u set up/change insurance the question asked is "have you had an accidents, losses or thefts? Regardless of whether a claim was made"

insurances keep ur details on cross reference systems so they'll find out *most likely if u have an accident and have to claim from them

Definitely go through your insurance company - they'll sort all the paperwork out & the legal side of things and will be able to negotiate the courtesy car/repairs etc for you.

Exactly, i wont loose my no claims or have to pay anything though as im claiming off her insurance and is her fault?

I know that sounds stupid and seems pretty obvious but im just double checking, can't trust these insurance companys :lol:

Nope - if they've admitted liability, it'll go down on record as a non-fault claim so you won't have to pay for anything and won't lose your NCB.

You *do* have to declare it to future insurance companies when you get quotes for insurance though, but as a non-fault claim.

i live in farnborough so im pretty sure the repairs will be carried out locally.

Is the garage you're concerned about called Rainbow? (Used to be called Whites) I had Snowy repaired there on an Insurance job and it was quality work. Almost better than he was in the first place :lol:

If i am well within my rights to say that then obviously i want the best service so it makes sense going to VW for the repairs. Now my other question is do VW have on site bodyshops?

:lol: If only it was the best service!

Some VW dealers do have a body shop, but not many. If you go to VW for repairs and they dont have one they will send your car to one in the same branch name which does. Providing one of them does.

Our VW has been to one of lookers bodyshops for a rust warranty job ... i could have got less overspray had i done it myself with a rattle can! Needless to say it went back and they did a slightly better job, but its still not right and some of the paint they have repaired has been ripped off by the rubbers around the doors. So they are currently booking it in again to have the work done again.

Ask around people you know, see if they can recommend a good indy, rather than going main dealer, which imo is very rarely the best for anything service wise. We have a great little bodyhop we use now, i can't really fault them, unlike VW!

Ive decided not to go to VW, spoke to a few people and they said exactly whats been said by cardaft. Ive been recommended a good bodyshop so ill have to contact the girls insurance and say i want the work carried out there :shades:

Had a call off her insurance company and they have agreed to take it to the bodyshop of my choice OR accept a cheque to get it repaired whereever and whenever i want too, ill have to see what the quote is at the bodyshop but ive been told by a friend who owns a differernt bodyshop that ide probably need a new bumper as pulling the dent out could cause a few problems and a new bumper would be far easier.

What sort of price do VW charge for a new bumper?