Megane R26.R

MattyB

Few discussions going on about the "point" of this car:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/222252/r...egane_r26r.html

£24k for a 'compromised' hot hatch, which some argue is against the point of a hot hatch. If you can make compromises over space/seating, why bother have a FE-FWD? Why not get a 2-seater RWD? Why not just get a standard R26 F1, probably not much slower but has all the practicalities of an everyday car thrown in??

Still, could make an interesting purchase after someone else has taken on the horrid depriciation cars of this type usually suffer...

I adore it, I'm pretty sure that 90% of the public could drive that round donnington faster than a similurly (sp? Phone) powered RWD two seater.

That's the point of it.

Most people will crash a fast RWD car.

That car doesn't drive like a FWD car, that diff is clever.

Want one badly.

In that colour.

Tigz. Chav.

90% of the public don't want to drive round donnington though, and the people that do would probably know, or want to learn, how to drive a RWD car fast.

Dont think theres much point to it myself.

doesn't matter how much experience you have in a rear wheel drive car, its most likely to catch a member of the public out more often than driving one of those,

i like the wheels, i like the look of the car, you always know cars with colours like that are gonna be quite fun to drive and suprise alot of people

i would like ago in one round donnington... i think meganes are ugly..they should put the engine in the clio FTW

I am with Tigz in a way. I love the R26R but also understand that it is very compromised and will appear to a very small window of people.

I have 2 rear wheel drive cars (have done 45,000 miles in them in the last 2 years), my Mercedes which is pretty steady and my 200bhp Elise which is pretty quick. Both are a handful in the wet and both have been sideways when I did not want them to be sideways. I therefore fully agree about how moderm fast fwd hatches can be pushed along quicker than a rwd with the *average* driver in control. Fwd just inspires more confidence whereas rwd always makes you wonder if it will suddenly break rear traction and spit you off.

I have driven the 'Ring and Snetterton this year and I think I could have lapped the ring way quicker in that Megane. Howver after half a day at Snetterton I think I would have been quickere in the Elise.

Anyway, enough rambling, yes I do like the R26R. Any car where you can have a full cage and harnesses as an option is cool...haha.

I am with Tigz in a way. I love the R26R but also understand that it is very compromised and will appear to a very small window of people.

I have 2 rear wheel drive cars (have done 45,000 miles in them in the last 2 years), my Mercedes which is pretty steady and my 200bhp Elise which is pretty quick. Both are a handful in the wet and both have been sideways when I did not want them to be sideways. I therefore fully agree about how moderm fast fwd hatches can be pushed along quicker than a rwd with the *average* driver in control. Fwd just inspires more confidence whereas rwd always makes you wonder if it will suddenly break rear traction and spit you off.

I have driven the 'Ring and Snetterton this year and I think I could have lapped the ring way quicker in that Megane. Howver after half a day at Snetterton I think I would have been quickere in the Elise.

Anyway, enough rambling, yes I do like the R26R. Any car where you can have a full cage and harnesses as an option is cool...haha.

id agree with that haha

Put me down as another 'I love it, but probably wouldn't buy it'. I think its great, really great, I like the slightly questionable paint jobs a la GT3 RS, I love the fact it has sod all in it and that any man who buys this is either going to cop merry hell when he brings it home to show the other half or is never, ever going to be allowed near the dealership.

Of course you could use it every day, but I think the standard R26 would be just as effective without some of the downsides for most people. Its already a niche car, this is a niche of a niche.

Love that it exists and all credit to anyone that buys one. The only occasion I can think of that I would entertain buying one would be if I was setting up a trackday experience company or such like.

Would love to take one to Wales though, I can imagine why it was the car EVO selected from the first batch of cars on the EvoCOTY this year to take down to France against the super cars. There is also a test in the latest issue of Performance Car magazine which I haven't read yet.

I like it in the sense that it does the RenaultSport brand proud and that I admire Renault for doing something thats a bit far out. The same applied to when they built the Clio V6!!

Its quite clearly been done to rival the upcoming Focus RS, as in it'll be as quick round a track due to clever handling and tweaks rather than all out power.

But for me, the whole point of buying the Megane 225 is that its fast, loaded with features and damned comfortable to go with it. This version is pretty much a track day special to the point where even the radio is optional.

I personally think that for road use, you'd find a re-mapped Megane 225/R26 as quick day to day as this version but you'll get the advantage of enjoying aircon, xenons etc. Its a great car, no doubt about it I just wouldn't buy one.