Cheapness of the car

Picola

Ok right so you want a very cheap car (circa £1000-£1500) but you have some requirements.

-No common faults

-Cheap

-Is presentable to look at

-Fairly cheapish to run

What would you choose?

Im looking, or trying to as ebay is been a looser, at 106's. Few cheap Gtis on there, but whats with the god awful interior in these cars. Cheap and nasty. But they look fun.

Not that Im pushing the idea of another Lupo again. But when (and if I finally) sell the Polo, Ill need a car ASAP and not many Lupos fall in this price bracket.

So aye.

No common faults and for that price, i dont think it will happen tbh.

Ive owned a few 106s , mainly s1 rallyes and ive got a quicksilver coming in soon, they have loads of faults but they are so cheap to fix.

Most of the parts can be used of saxos etc and the main problems seem to be suspension parts wearing, ball joints drop links etc etc

Check the rear axle if the torsion bar has been lowered as hey can look like this /----------\

depending on the year and model then you can have problems with coil packs on the gti's and map sensors, also some can have cracked or leaking plastic inlet plenums which give the same effects as a broken sensor but leaves you chasing your tail.

Best bet on older ones is to replace the mounts too, you will be able to feel the engine rocking on acceleration and braking easily enough and group N replacements are cheap enough a set.

Oh and gear linkages are known to wear giving sloppy changes , these are about 30 quid to replace all 3 and only take minutes

106gti's go for loads more than vts's. lob a gti interior in a vts and you would be sorted.

you want something cheaper to run than the polo, why are u looking at a gti? the gti has a 1.6 16v engine with the same power as the polo, only difference is the 106/saxo is lighter.

saxo/106 gearbox's are sloppy at high mileage but are dirt cheap to replace, interiors rattle like hell and are light and not very solid.

my vts is still probably the most fun i've had in a car and it handled amazingly.

Edited by Adam K

rare for me to say it but

pug 106 diesel not the prettiest but a good all rounder. and pug diesels are among the best.

Yep. Had one for my first car. Fun to drive though.

not sure how you can call it fun to drive? they do 0-60 ranging from 15-18 seconds depending on model. surprised you didn't fall asleep at the wheel from boredom and die.

the dash is awful in a 106 but if you get one with leather they are ace.

i miss my 106 GTi so much, you wouldnt believe how tempted i am to get another :(

i'd have another vts in an instant if i was looking for a 2nd car, all that puts me off is the image that saxos have gained really. people underestimate how quick they are and how well they handle.

not sure how you can call it fun to drive? they do 0-60 ranging from 15-18 seconds depending on model. surprised you didn't fall asleep at the wheel from boredom and die.

When you get it up to speed bombing down country lanes it's fun!

I'd get a VTR, I couldn't care less what stigma they have attached, at the end of it all they are a fun car to own and run, plenty of spares for when they do go wrong.

Only get one if you have small pixie feet though.

I'd get a VTR, I couldn't care less what stigma they have attached, at the end of it all they are a fun car to own and run, plenty of spares for when they do go wrong.

Only get one if you have small pixie feet though.

vtr's are a bit half arsed. vts's are no more expensive to buy and they are a lot more fun to drive.

vtr's are a bit half arsed. vts's are no more expensive to buy and they are a lot more fun to drive.

I'd agree they probably don't compare to VTS/106 GTI but I know I would get bent over on insurance for one, whereas vtr would be ok.