Paradox In The Afternoon

Lukus 9N

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. If God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?"

Epicurus, as quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the freewill argument from school, whats the point in having life if your just a puppet. Therefore God supposedly gives us free will and the result is evil.

Either way its all a load of crap to calm the masses, and for desperate people who have to feel there is something after death. :shades:

If you believe in a "God" you would believe your "God" was wicked? :blink:

that's not what I meant, and to be honest I can't remember what it was that I did mean!

But it is a good argument, if god does exist in the way that he is supposed to then why is there so much trouble in the world?

We deserve it?

We create it?

God does not exist?!

Oh my life i so totally had this argument at work yesterday!! A Pie should be an enclosed pastry case eg, with sides. If its just a bottom with a pastry lid then its just meat wearing a hat.

The argument was re-ignited here today with the old fish pie debacle. It has a mash potato top and might have pastry sides. That's not a pie in my book.

I had a very good steak and ale pie from Selfridges on Saturday. Well worth £4, just to avoid the schoolgirl mums that frequent Greggs. I'm trying the steak and merlot one next time.

It has a mash potato top and might have pastry sides. That's not a pie in my book.

Same. We sell fish pie with a cheesey mash top and i dont call this a pie. We also do a Steak and Ale with a pastry bottom and lid and a Steak and Kidney with the same top. A proper pie needs sides and a proper lid, mash doesnt count i reckon.

If there was a god he wouldn't have created you without fingers so the rest of us would be spared from your **** threads.

You know, you don't have to read my threads if you don't want to, or even post your **** into them. GTFO.

My history teacher sent me out the class for being an atheist... :lol:

She asked everyone what religion we were and it went round the class.... I told her i was an atheist... she told me i wasn't.... and that I was too young to know...so I asked her what she was... she answered Church of England... I said no you're not... You're Muslim.... with this she sent me packing for being cheeky... I asked if we are all too young to know then why the hell are you asking everyone... :lol:

Why do you always have to start such sh!te topics.

You do it purely to get a reaction and to irritate people!

We get it...you are an ASW!!!!

Why read it and then waste your time replying to it? :rolleyes:

On topic. In school I got a G in RE, probably not the best person to talk to about God and stuff. In my opinion, religion causes more problems than it solves. I'm surprised people take something based on fantasy and not fact so seriously.

that means he cant get it up

i think you mean omnipotent

I believe you're wrong. Impotent means both the lack of strength to do something and also in males defines lack of sexual arousal. Called impotence.

And being omnipotent is having unlimited power which clearly someone who could not rid the world of evil would not have. Thus they are impotent.

Edited by Lukus 9N