replacement engines for ahw 1.4 16 v, how too

right the ahw engines are pants and long in the tooth some being 10 years old now and replacements are a risky game as you never know what your gonna get and so many it seems suffer from emmisions failure caused by cylinder bore wear, i myself have had 3 with this problem and all were 60/70 thousand milers.

now then, the ahw engine is used in most low cc model vw's inc the golf however the golf block is different the starter motor is on the front whereas the lupo /polo is at the rear, i know this as i bought the wrong one :blink: thinking ahw all shall be well,think again.

anyway bby.

the bby is basically the same engine allbeit fitted with independant coil packs for each cylinder, a different inlet manifold with the oil breather return located after the throttle body and obviously the wiring is different.

i sat my ahw next to it and basicaly swapped everything over one thing again that the ahw does not have that the bby does is a breather in the cam carrier, this i have capped for now as the crank case breather will suffice but i may route it into the air box in a few datys time.

now then the beauty thing about this engine is that they were available from 2003 onwards maybe late 2002 up until 2005 so low mileage examples are around.

if anybody wants some queestions answered please post them here,

mitch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi, my sports burning oil, if i found a replacement engine. . . what code would it need to be, or what code engine would fit?

would 1.4 s blocks fit with the sport head? and what wiring would i have to do on any engine transplant?

my engine code is an AFK,

cheers for your help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just bought a Lupo 1.4 75bhp ´99 with a broken engine...

So what you are saying is that I should look for an engine with the enginecode BBY? And I don't need to use my cylinderhead from the broken engine? Does it matter if it originally was mounted with an automatic or manual tranny?

The original engine gave up after running out of oil, and stopped due to the "suddenly increased friction", so I don't think there is so much left to use in that one... :)

Regards,

Anders.

Edited by Janebrink

hello, i'm currently removing the above engine from the lupo as i'm moving forward with my build so it will be for sale in a week.

runs exceptionally well and is a straight in job.

I thought BBYs had a poor reputation for going through piston rings?

Never heard that said about the BBY, I think that was a problem of the older engines :huh:.

The BBY was used in Lupos since at least September 2002, the Lupo 1.4SE used it (available from '52 to '03 reg). If you can find a 1.4SE in a breakers then it will most likely be a BBY engine :).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

For those who are interested out there, I can tell that I bought a BBY from a Skoda Fabia ´04 and it fitted after some exchanging of parts from my old AHW. For example, I had to loosen one tensioner to the cambelt so I could dismount the plastics surrounding it. That needet to be switched among other things.

but it took me a couple of hours, and now I have an engine that is about 4 years old with a milage of 20000 miles. :)

I thought BBYs had a poor reputation for going through piston rings?

the ahw is the same motor as bby but older and the risk of a poor ahw is higher than bby .

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have the same problem. I own '99 Lupo SE and I am looking for an engine replacement. My engine code is AKQ and I have an opportunity to buy BBY engine with all the wiring. As far as understand from previous posts in this thread it should fit, or should I keep looking for exactly the same AKQ engine?

Please help a lady... :blush:

As long as your engine is a 75bhp 1.4 litre, it should be just fine. :)

It's only one thing I havent fixed yet, and that is the pipe coming out of the valvecover. Don't really know where that should be connected... I've connected it to the airfilterbox as for now... Must look into this soon. :)

But go ahead and make the switch. Don't think you'll be having so much use for the wiring.

Cheers and good luck!

Answer to my own question:

My boyfriend took the block from the broken Lupo AKQ engine and went to compare it with BBY and guess what - they are different... At the and where the gearbox should be attached to the engine, BBY has more fitting holes than AKQ and the fitment of the starter in different...

I'm already loosing hope to find a new engine :(

as said before the differences are only in the starter motor mounting position, any replacement for a lupo must have the starter mounting to the rear of the block.

As long as your engine is a 75bhp 1.4 litre, it should be just fine. :)

It's only one thing I havent fixed yet, and that is the pipe coming out of the valvecover. Don't really know where that should be connected... I've connected it to the airfilterbox as for now... Must look into this soon. :)

But go ahead and make the switch. Don't think you'll be having so much use for the wiring.

Cheers and good luck!

it's just a breather return it into theairbox, or leave blanked.

• 2 weeks later...

just a bit of extra info i have a lupo with an ahw in it i bought an auh out of an arosa sport and pretty much everything swaps over easily inlet manifold ect not started mine yet but that will be coming soon

• 1 month later...

Is there a difference with the BBY engines??

I've found a replacement AHW engine for my car but the starter motor was in the wrong position, at the front instead of the back, and I was wondering if this is the same with the BBY engine and if so, how do you determine which BBY engine will go into my Lupo??

Is there a difference in codes??

A friend will be getting me the engine from his contacts in the south of England and we are in Glasgow and he won't be able to see the engine before he gets it so all info will be helpful.

Regards...

Never heard that said about the BBY, I think that was a problem of the older engines :huh:.

The BBY was used in Lupos since at least September 2002, the Lupo 1.4SE used it (available from '52 to '03 reg). If you can find a 1.4SE in a breakers then it will most likely be a BBY engine :).

So does that mean the engine in my 04 1.4s is a BBY?

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread....

However I just wanted to add that I have completed the AHW to BBY Conversion now and I am pleased to report that all is working fine.

What mitch says about finding low mileage BBY is quite true! Picked myself up a bargain engine with only 13k on the clock :)

One thing to add, I needed to block off the EGR outlet on the side of the BBY engine as my AHW has its EGR connected to the exhaust manifold. All is good though as VW sell a blanking plate for this. You need the plate, two screws and a gasket - costs about £5.

I also couldn't find the cam case breather too until it spat in my face! Its on top of the engine next to the top right engine cover screw.

Thanks go to mitch for the advice!

Chris