replacement engines for ahw 1.4 16 v, how too

Hi guys has anyone done an aua to ahw engine swap, and if you have is it just a plug and play straight forward swap or is there a lot involved.

Any info or knowledge would be really appreciated.

Many thanks lee

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/7/2008 at 1:12 AM, Mitchell said:

now then, the ahw engine is used in most low cc model vw's inc the golf however the golf block is different the starter motor is on the front whereas the lupo /polo is at the rear

Is it possible to swap Golf gearbox in Lupo by using Golf AHV engine block?

It is possible to swap anything with anything, if it fits within the vdub world. Most gearbox mounting flanges are exactly the same. But the differences are the mounts to the body and the angle at which the engine-box combination sit in the engine bay. Some engines lean back, some forward, so you need to change sumps and engine mountings, exhaust manifolds and gear shift mechs. Plus a few other things.

AND the ECU usually will notice that something is different, so it wont run right. This is true for the entire range of vdub stuff.

Unless you have access to ECU programming tools and a detailled parts compatibilty catalogue (local breakers yard), plus deep pockets, I'd say try and keep everything orginal. It gets expensive real quick... :)

9 hours ago, mk2 said:

It is possible to swap anything with anything, if it fits within the vdub world. Most gearbox mounting flanges are exactly the same. But the differences are the mounts to the body and the angle at which the engine-box combination sit in the engine bay. Some engines lean back, some forward, so you need to change sumps and engine mountings, exhaust manifolds and gear shift mechs. Plus a few other things.

AND the ECU usually will notice that something is different, so it wont run right. This is true for the entire range of vdub stuff.

Unless you have access to ECU programming tools and a detailled parts compatibilty catalogue (local breakers yard), plus deep pockets, I'd say try and keep everything orginal. It gets expensive real quick... :)

Yes, you are right, there is no plug and play swap to get rid of 085 gearboxes, however I don't understand a lot of problems You mentioned, Mitchell told only difference between those two engines is starter motor position, if thats true, there should be no problems, to make directly swap from Lupo AHV to Golf AHV engine, but starter motor would need rewiring due to change of position. I don't see why would ECU even notice this swap.

Im thnking about 02A gearbox, therefore no problems with shifter (because shifter tower is the same), but would have problems with

• hydraulic clutch (only in some rare ocasions 02A gearbox has wired clutch);
  • gearbox mount;
  • driveshafts. 

I already have a spare 085 gearbox for my Lupo, but 02A would be great swap.