20v 1.8T Conversion........423BHP 2019 Updates!

My_Names_Buck

Yeah, I love those type of threads.

But these ones hidden away in here are my favourates LOL

Yeah, sorry I meant 4th :lol:

I need to email dubsport or find the previous owner to try to find out about the history of the items they didn't supply, I don't know much about the engine, box, ecu or the mapping and they are all very good.

I'm on my phone so can't link, but if you google 'GTI summer festival Santa pod' the details will be on the top two searches.

I raced the GTI at Spring festval which my first time drag racing.

I was hooked.

I lost every race but I was up against some cool cars, and I came very close to beating a MK3 Golf GTI.

Gonna do it right this time though.

Seats and door cards out and take my motorbike helmet incase my car goes over the quarter mile line over 100MPH.

A couple of years back I went down on my Aprila RS125 from Yorkshire and some guy with a mk2 20v I'd never met before came and asked if he could use my helmet for the day and gave me his mobile to save.

Not gonna make that mistake myself!

There is a dude with a 6 speed Lupo GTI 20v I raced in the spring.

Hope he's there again this time, I want to win him this time.

He has 270bhp if my memory is still working at this time! LOL

Yea it would be good to know the exact spec of everything i'd have thought someone out there will know the rest of it :s lol! Would that be GTI Festival at santa pod on Sunday 5th July? thats the weekend after GTI international then isn't it, mmmmm I would really like to go pod as I've never been there before so its a very real possibility Andi! Do ya need a helmet then to abide to their rules and regulations? haha I won't make the same mistake as him then im sure i still got my helmet kicking around from my scootering days :P

I just watched that video of use two down the strip didnt look the best weather then? Yea that figure sounds bout right if hes had a decent map on it.

I'll definitely let ya know closer to the time thou Andi for sure as I would love to go!

Sam.

The polo in the video is mine.

The vid was recorded on my camera and I uploaded it LOL

But no, a supercharged 1.6 is not gonna beat a 1.8 turbo unless you've spent serious money and have a massive charger.

Seconded there I must say ;)

We will see......... ;):lol:

Depends what power i see once its completly finished, it will be very interesting though.

The way i see it is... the lupo engine is quite alot lighter than the 1.8t. Believe it or not.

The 270bhp lupo has standard suspension, standard clutch and drivetrain.

Coliovers, paddle clutch and soild engine mounts, Which i have will help alot to launch times and power delivery.

You couldnt use a larger charger than an M45 on the 1.6 engine. There would be too much air for the engine to cope with, a good 15psi+ can be acheived by an M45 if its geared right. Ample power to see 230bhp plus.

My basis on that is 0.6 bar (approx 10psi) saw 210 bhp on a 1.6 engine. so with another 5 psi, you should see another 20bhp. I dont know what mine will have once ive finished the mapping, but we reckon that changing the injectors may see me get 250. But we will see over the next few weeks.

John

Theres not that much in it with the weight difference with the two engines tbh, althou yea it looked like he did have standard suspension and what not, I've got a paddle clutch on mine now though as I'd managed to destroy my original one in about 2500 miles :blink: wasn't impressed at tht lol! Also lightened fly wheel on it as well.

Again thou I still think it'll take quite a bit of work to see 250bhp outta the 1.6 engine but I suppose with the right work done and money spent in the right places it would be possible. Again thou i think yours would still make for a very interesting race thou :P

It's how you put the BHP down that counts

Yoof's Polo G40 does a 12.5 with only 193bhp.

yea thats a slight problem of mine at the moment with only 175's on it traction isn't the best although the LSD does help!

Sam.

Theres not that much in it with the weight difference with the two engines tbh, althou yea it looked like he did have standard suspension and what not, I've got a paddle clutch on mine now though as I'd managed to destroy my original one in about 2500 miles :blink: wasn't impressed at tht lol! Also lightened fly wheel on it as well.

Again thou I still think it'll take quite a bit of work to see 250bhp outta the 1.6 engine but I suppose with the right work done and money spent in the right places it would be possible. Again thou i think yours would still make for a very interesting race thou :P

Sam.

I think its about 55kgs heavier including the box and the shafts. Which is alot over the front end of the car, so its quite substancial.

10psi on a 1.4 sees a 95bhp increase. which is a 95% increase in power.

Base that on a 1.6, a 95% increase in power will see you touching around 240bhp.

Ive seen charged VTS's and 106's with 300bhp. So id think its easily doable to get the power out of the gti engine.

Lupo cup cars have seen 200bhp before naturally aspirated. And wasnt it vw racing that took one to 250bhp before the valve train fell appart.

Its an unexplored engine really.... Let me get my internals sorted and then ill take it as far as i can!! and im sure icegeezer will do too!

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks just a quick update, I went to GTI International at the weekend and managed to get some times down the strip. I only got two runs on saturday with a best of 5.6 to 60 and a 13.7 quarter. Not quite as good as I'd have hoped but traction was the real issue as my 175 kumhos weren't really doing the job and i've also got a problem with boost dropping off once into like fourth and fifth gear so im having the map looked at soon and gonna turn up the boost a bit :)

Also had it RR and recorded 269bhp and 307 f/lb of torque. was quite impredded with the torque figure, I will try and get the print outs up at some point there is also a video that someone has put up on youtube of me racing an arosa if you wanna have a butchers :)

I did however manage to crack the nearside engine mount as well so had to hunt all day sunday for a new one but by the time I got it sorted I didnt have much time left and with the very hot weather and a passenger I didnt manage any better than saturdays but I should hopefully be going to santa pod this weekend so will try my luck again :)

Sam.

Arr you gonna be at Santa Pod on Sunday?

Id love to race you in the Polo!

i've just asked you the same question on your polo thread :s lol! im 99percent sure that I will be andi yea. defo up for a race dude :D

• 2 weeks later...

not to bad a day at santa pod, managed to get a slightly better time than at gti international although the new vf engineering mount that I purchased there i managed to break it :o the bottom rubber completely split in half after a very vicious start. it was very sticky and i got an awful lot of wheel bouncing off the line that subsequently split the bottom rubber bush in half :s

I am also dropping my car off on wednesday to have my roll cage fitted :)

Mate, had a mint race!

You seen the videos?

Youtube Video ->

Original Video

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Thanks Liam.

Buck my old china, come next year with this engine and a K03s/hybrid Im coming for you!

Sort out that engine mount.. what did they say about it?

Hehe, hows it goin andi? I was gutted with that mount breaking AGAIN on me but least it was still driveable :s well the mount has gotta be ground down a little because its obvs for a mk4 golf so doesn't fit quite right, its a bit sque wiff so it might have meant it was under more strain but eitherway should have it sorted soon :) they reckon bout forty quid for a new rubber on it.

My reaction times were shocking :o lol, but was a gd race what was your fastest in the end that day? best I had was a 13.6 at 105mph I think.

I want more power thou :P lol! shame we didnt get a couple more runs together, dam that engine mount! :(

your polo was runnin quite well especially if its only got about the 220bhp you reckon.

Defo need a rematch thou :D

Pete got the best time of the day with a 14.08, I got a 14.33 which I was over the moon with.

The car held up well, we did 38 runs in total Nd with the exception of the tyres, no I'll efects!

The engine is going in the Lupo.

Simple as.

Next time we meet, I will be closer to you!

My best reaction time was 0.27.

Pete got the best time of the day with a 14.08, I got a 14.33 which I was over the moon with.

The car held up well, we did 38 runs in total Nd with the exception of the tyres, no I'll efects!

The engine is going in the Lupo.

Simple as.

Next time we meet, I will be closer to you!

My best reaction time was 0.27.

ooo so u neva managed to beat his time then. but still well done thts pretty gd goin 38 runs think i got about 10 in or summin like that, at least its reliable thou isnt it! will be another kettle of fish once its in the lupo :P

a pretty gd reaction time if ya ask me, all of mine were shockin, lol!

• 2 weeks later...
Nice project!

Tell me.... What does your insurance company think of 1.8T engine in a Lupo??

To be fair its not to bad considering I suppose.....

Its £2500 with everything on the car declared and as I'm only 19 I don't think its to bad!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, just a quick update, I've picked the car up today with the roll cage now completed :)

I will get some photos soon will try and get some tomorrow if the weather is ok :)

Sam.

Cool, what cage have you got ?

Its the omp cage with door bars added and also the bar for the harnesses across the back added in. I was going to have a sparco one but the factory in italy shuts down throughout august apparently so couldnt get it at the time :( Am very happy with how its turned out though really added to the feel of the car I think

Sam.