20v 1.8T Conversion........423BHP 2019 Updates!

My_Names_Buck

Go to last page for most recent updates. Currently running 423bhp. How she stands at the moment.

image.jpg.75f2267e873163e58119b51c740534

Hello,

Before I start I just want to say a quick something to all those people who go on about people who pay for these kinda things and don't get a finger dirty! Its not that I don't want to do my own conversion, I'd love to do it myself but I don't have the skills required or the time that would be needed. Things that I can do myself like brakes, suspension and other bits and bobs I have but this is just too far past me, Lol! But hey if you wanna have a pop at me feel free smile.gif lol!

My car is a 1.4sport on a 1999 plate. I've already uprated the brakes to 280mm G60's on the front and it has black diamond drilled and grooved discs all the way round with black diamond pads as well! Its lowered on FK highsport silerline coilovers and is currently runnin on G60 steelies.

The car is being done by PSI Tuning in Stoke on Trent who've had the car for about 3-4 weeks now. They've not long finished off the custom mounts and have the engine sitting where its going to be going.

The engine is a 225bhp lump with a five speed box on it.

Here are the pictures during....

Sam_Bedgley_019.jpg
Sam_Bedgley_020.jpg
Sam_Bedgley_018.jpg
Sam_Bedgley_004.jpg
DSCF0013.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Sam.

Edited by My_Names_Buck

Not trying to be rude panda, but why should he say how much it has cost... every time a thread comes up like this and that question is one of the top questions... and its never answered.

Im fed up with constant PM's asking me how much my conversion costs...

If you want to know, why dont you go and ask a company, or price it up yourself?

Rant over

Conversion looks cool.... they will be more common than GTi's sooon!

John

Well clearly he doesn't have to say anything but surely as part of a "Car Club" we should help eachother out (fellow Lupo lovers that is ;) ) with help and advice? If I want to find an accurate price for the conversion I could ring PSI and just ask them myself?

If you dont want people asking help, advice and information etc then put a banner up saying, "Do NOT ask!! :lol:

Ladies and gentlemen.... I give you the new boy'dup

Do you know how many times that question gets asked?? and how many times its actually been answered?

BTW, those mounts look brilliant.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Yawn.. Old news that mate and Im sure Chris will be offended with the comparison...

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC - Buck, did you have to source the engine/box yourself or did PSI sort that out for you aswell?

Edited by electricpanda

Firstly, thank you to everyone for all your comments on it so far. I'm very pleased with the work they have currently done on it :) I should hopefully have some more photos within the next week or so.

I was wondering that aswell and which engine did you use for this and have you upgraded or replaced any engine components

Its a BAM engine so the 225bhp one, the engine will be completely stock for the moment, the reason I chose the 225bhp over the 150 or 180 was due to the better internals to start with so if (I mean when) I decide for more power :P It should hopefully stand up better to it. Its also going to be runing just standard management at the moment. I wanna get used to the power as it is before gettin it mapped to anything more :s lol!

Nice one, there seems a lot more work required on the engine mounts than I thought would be needed.

Are PSI doing all the work, ie wiring and plumbing?

Yea the mounts have taken quite a while, bout 3 weeks or there abouts :o Yea as much as I'd like to be able to give some of the work ago PSI are doing all the work, I just don't have the time or skills to attempt it meself :s lol!

Yawn.. Old news that mate and Im sure Chris will be offended with the comparison...

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC - Buck, did you have to source the engine/box yourself or did PSI sort that out for you aswell?

Yea PSI sourced everthing out for me. I had looked at sourcing my own engine/box and enquired with The Phirm about fitting but they were mega busy and couldn't do it for about 10 months, so I decided to go with PSI who have so far been great :)

As regards the costing debate, I gets everyones point of view, lol! If you wanna go into details of the costing then give them a call as they are very helpful and will happily price something up for you. But the base price to supply and fit was £5500+ VAT (but this is without any optional extras; ie dump valve, exhaust, polishing, samco hoses, any smoothing, remap, etc, etc) so as you can probably guess it does really start to add up as you get more and more carried away with bits and bobs, lol!

any qestions feel free to ask and i'll keep you updated :)

Sam.

Its a BAM engine so the 225bhp one, the engine will be completely stock for the moment, the reason I chose the 225bhp over the 150 or 180 was due to the better internals to start with so if (I mean when) I decide for more power :P It should hopefully stand up better to it. Its also going to be runing just standard management at the moment. I wanna get used to the power as it is before gettin it mapped to anything more :s lol!

the internals are better from an n/a agu, well the head is at least. the benifit the bam has is that is has bigger injectors and a bigger turbo,

but you probably knew this. and to be fair its probably easier finding an agu head than the injectors and turbo.

the internals are better from an n/a agu, well the head is at least. the benifit the bam has is that is has bigger injectors and a bigger turbo,

but you probably knew this. and to be fair its probably easier finding an agu head than the injectors and turbo.

well thats wrong the internals are not better from a n/a as they are higher comp than you want .

think what you mean is that a golf 1.8t has a better head as its a big port one but if you need to swap to that then you have past the usable power mark for the lupo

past the usable power mark for the lupo

I hate this term, it's **** and isn't even an actual defined amount of power. Or does anyone know how much bhp is exactly too much for a Lupo?

A 300bhp Lupo may be not much quicker than a 150bhp Lupo on a small track, but on the A1, when you want to play with a Porsche 911, it makes a difference. If I was building a "sleeper" Lupo, I'd want a sick amount of power so I could do just that, I couldn't give two ****s how it goes round corners if i could annihilate anything on the straight bits.

More power = more smiles.

Nice project btw. Wish I'd done that to mine now.

I hate this term, it's **** and isn't even an actual defined amount of power. Or does anyone know how much bhp is exactly too much for a Lupo?

A 300bhp Lupo may be not much quicker than a 150bhp Lupo on a small track, but on the A1, when you want to play with a Porsche 911, it makes a difference. If I was building a "sleeper" Lupo, I'd want a sick amount of power so I could do just that, I couldn't give two ****s how it goes round corners if i could annihilate anything on the straight bits.

well if you had spoke to anyone who had driven the venom lupo with 360 bhp they ALL will say it was to much it got detuned for god sake it had a lsd and still hated been on the road . where is the fun playing on a motorway where are you from the u.s a bend is what sorts the men from the boys :coffee:

You can neva have to much power :P As you said more power = more smiles :D lol! But yea I suppose your right, on a track silly power might not be much quicker than one with half the power, but for the amount of time i'll be on a track compared to on straight dual carraigeways i think the more power option is calling :P lol!

Only thing is i've got recaros to go in with a cage lined up..... which might affect the sleeper look :s lol!

Sam.

You can neva have to much power :P As you said more power = more smiles :D lol!

when its raining i think you might wish you did not say that :wacko:

just thought liamD drives a polo that hates bends so yeah stick to the motor way think its safer for you

Edited by noddy

well if you had spoke to anyone who had driven the venom lupo with 360 bhp they ALL will say it was to much it got detuned for god sake it had a lsd and still hated been on the road . where is the fun playing on a motorway where are you from the u.s a bend is what sorts the men from the boys :coffee:

Erm, yeah, I have spoken to the previous owner of the Venom Lupo and I'm very good friends with people who built one of the very first 20vt powered Lupos. The Venom Lupo was a show car... make it more suitable for handling the power and it'll do a much better job of putting down the 360bhp it had.

but for the amount of time i'll be on a track compared to on straight dual carraigeways i think the more power option is calling

My point exactly. :shades:

Exactly what I'm building my car for, track days are too costly... good old RWYB and the odd blast up the trunk road is the way I like to do it. Oh and to piss off people with cars 10 times the price :D

Erm, yeah, I have spoken to the previous owner of the Venom Lupo and I'm very good friends with people who built one of the very first 20vt powered Lupos. The Venom Lupo was a show car... make it more suitable for handling the power and it'll do a much better job of putting down the 360bhp it had.

Exactly what I'm building my car for, track days are too costly... good old RWYB and the odd blast up the trunk road is the way I like to do it. Oh and to piss off people with cars 10 times the price :D

well when jamie had it he was the one to put it on 15's and put gti brakes on and still says its the scaryist car he has ever driven yes fast in a straght line but one bit of camber it was everywhere .

a motorway is never a good place to go fast its boring and easy and the best place to be done for speeding .

when its raining i think you might wish you did not say that :wacko:

just thought liamD drives a polo that hates bends so yeah stick to the motor way think its safer for you

That is very true, altough with that much power going through the front wheels in the wet I doubt it'll ever stop wheel spinning and get moving :D lol!

Yea after speaking with a few people about the venom lupo I've been told it wouldn't even go in a straight line for all the power :o lol! Yea i hope for it to still be driveable thou, its having a Quaife LSD in it so that should help matters a bit and hopefully the brakes will be upto the task.

But there is nothing better than pissing people off with expensive fast cars :D lol!

Sam.

UPDATE:

Quick update on things by the way, the bay has finished being smoothed and prepped for paint now and should be painted by tuesday so will hopefully have some more pics of the smoothed bay this week coming :P

Sam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, sorry about the delay in updating current progress on the project. I've got a few more pictures of the bay without the engine in but the smoothing prep and the smoothed wings.

P051108_141901.jpg

P051108_1420.jpg

P051108_1419.jpg

09_101.jpg

09_102.jpg

09_103.jpg

Let me no wat you think, the engine is almost completed with the bits and bobs going onto it and should hopeully be back in the car within the next couple of weeks :)

Thanks for looking, Sam.