Hello People

Barnett

Hello

im 16 trying convince me mum to swap the punto im having for my 17 th . im grateful that they bought the punto for me about a year ago but i really want to get a lupo as i dont see many of them about around my way i havent seen one modded.

but the mother thinks just because there a small car that they are not safe and if i crash it won't protect me lol ... i was just wondering if anyone knows if i could insure a GTI or if not which engine could i be insured on?

I very much doubt you could insure a GTi at your age for an reasonable cost. I would go for either a 1.0 or the 1.4 75bhp - okay they won't be super fast, but they're cool!

And if your mum is worried about safety, I'd go for a Lupo over a Punto any day! He are some photos of the result when I went off a roundabout into a lampost last year - both me (and the car) are still here to tell the tale:

lampost-small.jpg

front-end-small.jpg

You'll be very lucky to insure a GTI as a 17 year old male new driver... its going to be expensive enough to insure a car, let alone something like a GTI. I was quoted over £1,000 to insure my GTI when I first got it, as a 24 year old female with 5 years NCB!

I'd suggest aiming slightly lower spec and going for a 1.0 or a 1.4 petrol, or perhaps a diesel lupo?

Cheers mate

me dad likes the lupo so he is in favour of part exchanging the punto in for a lupo, me brothers already had two punto s and he now has a corsa so i want something different from what he has and had.

i like the look of the GTI but like you say i probably wont be able insure one (havent seen many for sale either)...... By any chance can you buy a GTI front bumper as i really like the look of the front.

They can't be swapped onto other models as the GTi had loads of body changes when they designed it.

Plus I don't think you'll be able to insure it with mods for a year or so, at least not without paying a fortune which just isn't worth it in that first year.

They can't be swapped onto other models as the GTi had loads of body changes when they designed it.

Plus I don't think you'll be able to insure it with mods for a year or so, at least not without paying a fortune which just isn't worth it in that first year.

Agree with what Nicola has to say - you'll find it hard to insure a modified car to begin with, even if its just aesthetic modifications.

GTI's don't actually have much in common with non-GTI lupo's so there's very little that can be used as a straight swap. Obviously, most things are possible with enough time & effort, but it wouldn't be as straight forward as you'd hope.

Perhaps you should consider sticking with the punto for a year or two to get some NCB built up, whilst saving for your ideal lupo? Wouldn't offend your parents then either. :)

Lupos got 4 stars in the Euro NCAP crash tests, and the full 5 stars if the optional extra side airbags were fitted.

Safe cars.

And no chance of insuring a GTI at 17 at a decent price.

i mite do that mate cause the punto they bought it actually quite nice looking it came with a abrath bodykit on (i think that is what its called not to sure) and as nice standard fiat alloys on its a 1.2 active sport.

i probably will end up keeping in for a year due to this credit crunch :angry: theres hardly any jobs around and i left applying for college abit late so im still looking for a job so it would probably be best keep it until i get a steady cash flow and a years no claims.

ill need get the locks removed as they broke in my brothers through the locked and knicked all is sound system and flip up screen stereo .... they broke into my neighbours the same way so that would be 1st on the list.

but i definately want a lupo so hopefully within a year i should have a lupo :rolleyes:

If the Punto is modified with a body kit not may people will touch you £££££. I had a Punto and it deprecated like a stone (I saw a review of the punto and it said, the car loses more money than a christmas decoration on a boxing day sale, sadly this is true), Lupo's are on the cusp (few years) of going up in value as they are so sought after.

Get rid if you can and get a standard small engine car 1.0 Lupo would be cool. Quinn Direct do good insurance, but blokes get bent over a barrel (and taken for behinde) as we are a "higher risk". Get some NCB save for somthing with a GTi badge on.

O yer Lupo's are 4 star in euro encap witch is the same as the Punto

Edited by FLO7LXJ

A mk2 Punto isn't gonna lose much money now, they're already a few years old and have been replaced by two models. Assuming it is a mk2 anyway.

Abarth body kit is nice and shouldn't affect insurance too much if it was an optional extra. Active Sport is a nice spec too.

Punto's are fine first cars. I had one. It just broke a bit. :lol: Mostly fine though. :D