Roof rust

Remember some time ago a topic on rusting roof channels

My 99 Lupo has now developed the plague

Anyone any advice on tackling the warranty man

I recall that it had to be rusted through but VW had changed their views. Any info such as reference numbers from VW would help as my local VW garage in Willenhall says its the first one they come across, sucked his teeth and said go away

DaveS

Linz and Byron queried their warranty man about repairs. They were told thet the body shop would just rub it down and repair the paint, not cut out the "demon worm" and do a proper job.

Depends whether you're looking for longevity or cosmetics.

Paint warranty is 3 years, body corrosion is 12 years.

From the VW warreanty page

"You'll also receive a 3-year paint warranty for any manufacturing defects in the paintwork of your new car.

Our Body Protection warranty protects all Volkswagens against internal rust-attacks - for 12 years from the date of registration"

Linz and Byron queired their warranty man about repairs. They were told thet the body shop would just rub it down and repair the paint, not cut out the "demon worm" and do a proper job.

Depends whether you're looking for longevity or cosmetics.

As above - when I asked the guy to tell me exactly how they would repair it he was very vague and umm'd and ahh'd. My car was due to go in and get the full re-spray the next month so my painter asked me to find out if they were going to be cutting the section out and patching it, and if not, then tell them to leave it and he would repair it properly himself (if they were going to then all the better, let them fix it - one less job for him). The guy told me in no uncertain terms that they definately would not cut and patch the roof, and that it would be rubbed down and re-painted. I wasn't convinced so went with the peace of mind of getting it repaired myself.

Although, if you have a search for the original thread, there are quite a few people who did have it repaired by VW and seem to be happy.

Chances are if my car wasn't being repainted the following month I wouldn't have enquired so in depth and just gone ahead and got them to do the repair under warranty. As it happens I am still waiting for them to call me back to let me know about their application - to let me know if VW are in fact going to do it under warranty!!! I feel I might be waiting a while!

The paint on my gutters was bubbling up and obviously had rust underneath so to stops it from progressing i cut back the paint to use metal. The rust was nothing just surface rust it was a nice surprise as on my mini i would usualy expect a huge hold underneath. For that amount of rust i would not dream of cutting a new section in. It would be a waste of time and not achieve much. I have treated it to stop the rust taken it back to clean metal then coated with zinc primar.now i am looking into what my best option is for re painting. I have other body work that needs doing so i may as well get it done all at the same time. Cutting a new section in is only needed if the rust has structubly effected the car. If its just surface then sanding back is fine. I treated many patches of surface rust that way on the mini and they have never returned even now its just sitting as a shell. Good quality zinc primar is the best protection from re rusting on a treated area that i ever found. I use to paint zinc then red oxide then paint primar then paint, for a mini prone to rusting it worked a treat. Not one part has re rusted back. The rust rate of the metal on the lupo is very slow from what i have seen . The rust would have be un noticed for a long time to get bad enough for cutting in.

I also have rust around the roof gutters, have it on both sides actually, i went to see VW and he done all the paint thickeness checks, he done them on the bonnet wings etc even though the area with rust was in the roof gutters...

They said that from the paint thickness readings the car had been resprayed, i think it was the door that has been resprayed by the previous owner. That immediatly invalidates my paint warrenty and they wouldn't carry out the work which was a bummer.

I also have rust around the roof gutters, have it on both sides actually, i went to see VW and he done all the paint thickeness checks, he done them on the bonnet wings etc even though the area with rust was in the roof gutters...

They said that from the paint thickness readings the car had been resprayed, i think it was the door that has been resprayed by the previous owner. That immediatly invalidates my paint warrenty and they wouldn't carry out the work which was a bummer.

Paint warranty is only 3 years. Anti perforation is 12 years.

Bummer.

That's an absolute fob off. If the roof hasn't been resprayed, why should a resprayed door void the anti-corrosion warranty? I wouldn't have taken that at all.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but thought this may be useful.

Took my Y-plate GTi in today to have the rust on the roof repaired, payed for by VW under the anti-corrosion warranty.

Ironically, I have took it to the VW bodyshop in Willenhall that i persume is the same one as mentioned in the first post.

I was also told that they had never seen one before lol. They tried to fob me off at first telling me it isnt classed as corrosion teling me it would have to be a hole for it to be covered. After arguing with them for about an hour managed to get them to take pictures and send for authorisation from VW. After about three weeks got a phone call to say that VW had gave auth and asking when they could get the work done.

If your Lupo is suffering from this i would go to a VW bodyshop and no matter what they say get them to send for auth from VW. Hopefully you will then get the same result as me.