lowest mpg

matt~black

there's loads of topics on how many miles people get from a tank but i want to know what is the least miles you've ever taken to drain a tank on the road mine came empty at 130.2 miles today i've drained it in about 100 on track before now

there's loads of topics on how many miles people get from a tank but i want to know what is the least miles you've ever taken to drain a tank on the road mine came empty at 130.2 miles today i've drained it in about 100 on track before now

If I sat out of gear at 7krpm for a while, I bet I could do less miles.

i've just done a road trip of 175 miles from my home town to plymouth and cruised the motorway at 85/90 for pretty much the whole stretch of the m5 and my loop was at 5krpm for the majority of the time...eeeeeak! (1.0L) and i used just over 3/4 of a tank...

Edited by bekki :)

i've just done a road trip of 175 miles from my home town to plymouth and cruised the motorway at 85/90 for pretty much the whole stretch of the m5 and my loop was at 5krpm for the majority of the time...eeeeeak! (1.0L) and i used just over 3/4 of a tank...

EeeeeeeeeK indeed!!

I think it'd last quite a while still a lad i know got Tboned by a truck in his clio so he put a brick on the accelerator and left it after about 10minutes he had to go take it back off because it was pissing everyone off and that's an inferior french car

Edited by Nicki

*yawn* ive seen as low as 3mpg , even on day to day driving i struggle to get 250/260 miles to 40litres with the cupra

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

I emptied the tank of the gti in 80 miles once in an asbolute balls out countryside trash.

No chance, thats 11mpg. You wont get as low as that from a 1600cc four pot. Unless there was something wrong with it anyway

*yawn* ive seen as low as 3mpg , even on day to day driving i struggle to get 250/260 miles to 40litres with the cupra

I guess thats from an instant readout though? As if you averaged that you have a problem

Edited by Defcon5

Over the last 200 miles ive averaged 47MPG in my TDi.

I would not mind if it was a big car, or even a fast one, but thats just crap MPG from a tiny diesel.

Im less than impressed with it atm! :angry2:

Its not all about the size of the car though. The lupo is a bit of a brick really and i am amazed they

did so well with the 3L. I have not managed to find the Cd for the lupo but i don't expect its fantastic

with its box rear end and its messy underside.

Try upping the tyre pressure.

I could easily put up with low mpg if i had a fast or big car, but not with a little diesel citycar :wacko: Its party piece should be its economy. My 1.0 Arosa gets 47 with out of town use, and never below 40.

Its not all about the size of the car though. The lupo is a bit of a brick really and i am amazed they

did so well with the 3L. I have not managed to find the Cd for the lupo but i don't expect its fantastic

with its box rear end and its messy underside.

Try upping the tyre pressure.

I don't know how VW set the combined MPG figure for the TDi as 64, i struggle to get that on a good run. Although i have had over 70mpg a few times, when i first got the car.

Im convinced there is something wrong with mine, my MPG has dropped considerably over the last few months.

So im trying to find out what, if anything, is wrong with it, its not easy finding out though! Ive got a new thermostat as the garage said he thinks mine is faulty, so we will see.

I know of much bigger cars with bigger diesel engines and more power which easily beat my MPG, which is why i think mine is low, for the kind of car it is.

Edited by cardaft

I get an average of 33mpg regularly out of the Fiesta. For a modern small car that's crap and Ford should hang their head in shame.

My old BMW e21 316 used to average 19mpg on 4-star. A J-reg (that's J at the end) Range Rover we once had managed to average 7mpg around town and 14mpg on a run. Ouch.

The Ibiza can be got down into single figures if it's really hoofed, but only sporadically. Normal average is high 40s.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have a 1.4 TDI polo (01 Y reg) which also went into the Lupo, and also a 1.0 Lupo also in the family.

I have had a Golf GTI, Driver, and lots of other VWs (including also a GT Polo from brand new in 91) none of these engines touch the 1.4 TDI in my opinion. I was doing 450 miles per week until last year. The Polo does 64mpg on a country drive. Now I commute into Plymouth on a mixed cycle it does 57mpg (this is the polo by the way). I use only Quantum Oil and change all filters every 10K and clean fuel system regularly. It accelerates great, even my M3 driving friend impressed...

I'm diapponited with 1.0L lupo engine, you really have to work it hard, although mixed cycle it's doing 44mpg (has been serviced similarly well in its life). Love everything else about the little yellow car though

Dad gets 15mpg on a good day in the 'vette...

:lol:

(When Mum & Dad went out in the 'vette a couple of months ago, it popped a hose and they had to call out the RAC. When they eventually got home, Dad pointed out that it had actually saved them about £50 in petrol by not going the whole way to Snetterton & back!)

I could easily put up with low mpg if i had a fast or big car, but not with a little diesel citycar :wacko: Its party piece should be its economy. My 1.0 Arosa gets 47 with out of town use, and never below 40.

I don't know how VW set the combined MPG figure for the TDi as 64, i struggle to get that on a good run. Although i have had over 70mpg a few times, when i first got the car.

Im convinced there is something wrong with mine, my MPG has dropped considerably over the last few months.

So im trying to find out what, if anything, is wrong with it, its not easy finding out though! Ive got a new thermostat as the garage said he thinks mine is faulty, so we will see.

I know of much bigger cars with bigger diesel engines and more power which easily beat my MPG, which is why i think mine is low, for the kind of car it is.

I've just changed my coolant temp sensor and don't think its had any effect on M PG. Wonder which sensor the ECU uses to calculate how much fuel to inject? (presuming here that diesels work the same as petrols)

Yes ive done that, im sure its made MPG more constant, as it would vary a lot before. Im shutting up about MPG for now, i think its my driving :lol:

I get between 51-55 atm, which is good really, about average for a TDi. Though i remain, there are bigger/quicker diesels which will do similar MPG! If you really try you can improve itsMPG, but its difficult, even if i stick to 60-65 on motorways it only improves a tiny tiny bit, so i dont bother. With other cars i find it much easier to get better MPG.

What MPG are you now getting?