Wet roads and lowered cars

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there any furniture history buffs out there, would you like to confirm?

Im not a furniture history buff, but i am in the buff...

And i reckon its true. Nobody likes bugs biting them bed. Thats my job hehehehehe.

Im only, joking - its not nice to bite people.

:D

Edited by Clairey Fairy

Just going back to the original point, I was thinking it was mostly likely to be your tyres.

My ex had a Clio 182 and decided to buy Kwik-Fit's own budget tyres. 205/40/16s for £50 a corner. Felt fine in the dry but get a bit of rain on the road and it was shocking. Come off a roundabout and where before you could give it some acceleration, this just pushed out wide. Really demonstrated how important decent tyres are.

My Sport is dropped on a set of coilovers and running a set of Dunlop tyres and it really does inspire confidence on the bends. In the dry you can keep your foot planted without a hint of understeer.

My Sport is dropped on a set of coilovers and running a set of Dunlop tyres and it really does inspire confidence on the bends. In the dry you can keep your foot planted without a hint of understeer.

Thats odd, most people on here, including me, slate dunlop tyres, expecially the ones fitted to the 185/55/14 size, Dunlop Sport 2000E or something? IIRC.

No tyre beats conti premiums for that size, truely the best there is!

To be honest mate, I can't compare it to much else as these were on the car when I bought it. Seems to be pretty competent though, I don't ever feel like I'm lacking the grip I need.

Doesn't quite compare to the Continentals on the Megane but then again they are 225/40/18s! lol

Thats odd, most people on here, including me, slate dunlop tyres, expecially the ones fitted to the 185/55/14 size, Dunlop Sport 2000E or something? IIRC.

No tyre beats conti premiums for that size, truely the best there is!

Yeah I agree with cardaft. Contis FTW!!

I have Conti Sport Contacts, but is there any difference between that and the premiums?

They handle really wellm both in the dry and wet (unlike my previous firestones!!)

Well I have Dunlop 2040s on the front of the GTi and they haven't let me down yet.

When they wear out I'll be putting the Michelins Pilots from the rear on the front and I have a set of Avon Z3, which Which? give a poor write-up for in the wet, to go on the rear.

To be honest mate, I can't compare it to much else as these were on the car when I bought it. Seems to be pretty competent though, I don't ever feel like I'm lacking the grip I need.

Doesn't quite compare to the Continentals on the Megane but then again they are 225/40/18s! lol

Maybe i try too hard round bends then! Although i never got on well with them, and they were on my 1.0, so not exactly much power for them to harness! Ive never used a more scary tyre in bad winter conditions, although they were getting a little thin then. Maybe you will start hating them when winter gets closer ;)

You can tell by looking at them they will be poor, most tyres have small cuts/slits through the tread to offer better water drainage and flex to the road to give better grip. For wet weather grip you need silica in the rubber compound, Dunlops being an age old mould now i doubt they have much.

TBH, most tyres perform similar in the dry, the main thing with dry handling is a stiff sidewall and less tread around the tyre shoulders.

Its wet performance where you test tyres, and usually where cheap or old designs fall down.

These things seem to rely heavily on good tyres for grip, ive driven cars which dont matter if you have the most budget tyres, they still handle and grip well, its about suspennsion set up too!

Yeah I agree with cardaft. Contis FTW!!

I have Conti Sport Contacts, but is there any difference between that and the premiums?

They handle really wellm both in the dry and wet (unlike my previous firestones!!)

Ive not tried the sportcontacts, but i really do recommend the premuims, only thing i would say is their sidewall is soft, so push it and they roll over onto the wall. Although grip is always superb, even in the wet they inspire confidence. They squeel when pushed to their limits, a nice little reminder! Excellent tyres.

I now have Michelins, they are very good too, not really pushed them in the wet yet, but so far ive not wanted more grip from them.

Edited by cardaft

Interesting diagram of inflation footprints and profiles...

inflated-tyres.jpg

Do they do a diagram showing tyres running different camber settings. Would be interesting to see the footprint with various tyre pressures.

Still cannot believe the camber some of the old 3 series BMW touring cars used to run on the rear.

Its all that excess weight sticking you to the road!

Polo weighs in at 1045KG Unladen Weight. Not much more than the Lupo Sport...Aluminium body on a Mk6 FTW.

Is the Polo a he? :lol:

The Polo is an old she. :blink:

But on a serious note the Polo just doesn't lean when you corner. Corners unbelievably well.

Edited by Niche

Do they do a diagram showing tyres running different camber settings. Would be interesting to see the footprint with various tyre pressures.

Still cannot believe the camber some of the old 3 series BMW touring cars used to run on the rear.

Well the more camber the more pressure is on the inside tyre wall. Making your tyre look ok from the front, but on the inside the tyre may be too softer pressure. Id stick a little more psi in if i was running serious camber.

Though i hate camber, so i wouldnt anyway :lol: