'R' - Drivers

And1Lupo

NORTHERN IRELAND ROAD LAWS / RESTRICTED DRIVERS

All the time I get looks, signs sometimes maybe even the appreciative comment with the fingers up, but it rips the A*** when ppl lean over the drivers side trying to give the signalling of only being limited to 45 - when on the busy motorway at prime time.

No one ever cares when anyone else is maybe 5, 10, 15+ mph over the speed limit but when we go over what is to be 45mph on motor-ways or watever its like - O-M-G :o

- Thats my small rant over for 2 day, but let me know how some of yous find it bein the classed: 'R' driver / speed demon B)

Edited by And1Lupo

Northern Ireland - Newly qualified drivers can be identified on the roads by 'R' ( meaning Restricted to 45 MPH on all roads)the plates that must be displayed on their Car for a period of twelve months after qualifying. 'R' drivers are widely disliked by other drivers and often unfairly described as dangerous due to their newly qualified status. In truth 'R' drivers are the least likely to cause an accident as their newly gained driving skills make them on average 30% safer on the road than a driver in the Province with five years experience.

I'm not surprised really. I know it's not your fault that you're restricted to 45mph, but 45mph on a Motorway is ridiculous.

Edited by Philplop

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Lol I'm talkin about going the national speed limit of 70 (up north), while meant to be restricted to 45mph

We don't have restrictions (after passing your driving test) in England, pretty sure Scotland and Wales don't either, unless its a new thing that i didn't know about? Maybe you shouldn't go on the motorways?

Edited by Adam

Stands for being ®estricted - to 45mph - 1st yr after passing test :coffee:

here mate , we dont have the first years restricted speed on hte main land here so this will be lost on the majority of people . at first i thought you were on about Cupra R drivers and R32 drivers....

Lol soz - its because im up in N. Ireland, - yous dont have it over there still lol, but motorways over here are the way to every where over 50mile trips so to use other routes it would be longer and use a lot more petrol usually,

Its just too dangerous going 45 wen cars fly by at around 70/80mph

Does that mean you can't go on motorways then? I thought the minimum limit for motorways is 50!

TBH, thats sucks! :lol:

Well yes - we are allowed on the motor way but must stay @ 45-50, however shouldnt really as thats dangerous - so most ppl take their restricted plates off and speed away, I never have trouble with police but many times do i get looks and gestures from other drivers - It does suck but ive never actually been on for long at 45mph - usually speed at say 60 -70 :(

Does that mean you can't go on motorways then? I thought the minimum limit for motorways is 50!

TBH, thats sucks! :lol:

thought it was 40mph over here for the min speed

Personally, I think restricting new drivers to a lower top speed is a good idea. There should also be a limit to one passenger too (as in France).

Tell those that are moaning to Feck Off. They were learners/new drivers once and should appreciate the position you're in.

I think they should brng it in over here too. Possibly the the time being extended to 5 years of "restrictedness".

I would love to laugh at new drivers doing 45mph on the motorway!

:lol:

Dear Mr Brown,

I have just had a jolly good idea regarding young drivers...

Personally, I think restricting new drivers to a lower top speed is a good idea. There should also be a limit to one passenger too (as in France).

Tell those that are moaning to Feck Off. They were learners/new drivers once and should appreciate the position you're in.

Lol I do try 2 be nice normally by waving as I pass by rather than provoking anyone. As for lower speed limits for new drivers is fine, but its a problem and is dangerous for all drivers as we are prompt to speed up to avoid accidents; while others have to break hard or change lane unnecessarily to keep traffic flow - Unless a specific lane was designed for even slower drivers lol but its the danger thing I find when going slower so the actual speed limit proves safer i think :confused:

I think they should brng it in over here too. Possibly the the time being extended to 5 years of "restrictedness".

I would love to laugh at new drivers doing 45mph on the motorway!

Dear Mr Brown,

I have just had a jolly good idea regarding young drivers...

LMAO, I know but never happens because everyone either takes their plates off and speeds, or just slows down when no cars are around - i.e nite time etc - (which of course is the perfect traditional time for speeding in N. Ireland

LMAO, I know but never happens because everyone either takes their plates off and speeds, or just slows down when no cars are around - i.e nite time etc - (which of course is the perfect traditional time for speeding in N. Ireland

Sorry did I say 5 years? I meant to say 15!

Nope.

Although driving slowly without any good reason might be seen as dangerous, or careless.

Exactly my point on the restriction for such drivers as myself - I find it dangerous rather than a safety measure :rolleyes:

canny believe that ****. never known anyone to b taunted when driving on r plates. pretend ur outta control and swerve towards em lol. i didn drive on r plates very often cause its to easy to get points.

its rather funny no one new wat u were on about though.

Edited by scoobydoo

canny believe that ****. never known anyone to b taunted when driving on r plates. pretend ur outta control and swerve towards em lol. i didn drive on r plates very often cause its to easy to get points.

its rather funny no one new wat u were on about though.

LOL, Ano i've been pulled once over in carrickfergus, but i did deserve it after I decided 2 pull out from the inside lane infront of the mr unmarked police Vectra @50mph,

Lucky escape however - got off with a £30 fine - wasnt bad for smooth talking 2 offences - ive been cautious ever since tho - was onli last week that happened

Lol - I onli realised ppl wouldnt catch on after id posted.... My Bad!

Edited by And1Lupo