whats the best setup for my 1.4 75 bhp lupo

lupedup

Hi there,

On that engine a remap would see only about 6-8bhp - so a bit expensive at about 400quid for the power increase.

Could get an exhaust and air filter for it to make it breathe and sound better.

The lupo sport the 1.4 100bhp model has uprated cams and a larger throttle body I believe, to give it the extra power over the 75bhp model.

To be honest I think to get a lot more power out of the 75bhp engine would involve alot of cash, and would be cheaper to either buy a sport already at 100bhp and charge it or buy a gti, or 1.8t it or somethin!

If your looking to spend little money (manifold, decat, air filter, remap) that should see you near GTI power if you had a Lupo Sport.

However if your want to spend real money and not chinese dim sums (all of the above + cams, throttle body) than you have the better car to start off with.

Throttle body on the S is cable operated and not fly by wire like on the Sports which means you have a larger choice in throttle bodies. Unless of course your talking about having individual throttle bodies than you aren't talking dollars, you're talking british pounds.

And bear in mind that the Sport is higher spec all around (rear disc brakes), Arosa Sport is a bit of a spoilt bitch as you get much more for your money.

Out of interest, what kinda increase in bhp should you expect from a BMC CDA in a Lupo Sport? Sorry to spam, no point in starting a whole new thread!

Some say a couple of HP, I think its bull poo, I think if you run your standard car on the rollers and then fitted the BMC I wouldn't think you'd see any increase.

Been throwing down the gauntlet for years, no one ever takes it up.

I had a stainless steel back box and pipercross filter put 10 bhp on my 1.4 16V 75bhp engine, RR a few months before mods at bang on standard 75. RR after mods with 84.6... I was amazed tbh! Same rollers too, at Midland VW.

Edited by veedubdude

Throttle body on the S is cable operated and not fly by wire like on the Sports which means you have a larger choice in throttle bodies. .

Who told you that? Im sure thats not right huh.gif

All lupos, no matter what engine, have a DBW system, providing they are not before (i think) around late 1999 early 2000 model year.

Both my Arosas certainly have DBW.

Hmm, ive driven a 1.4 75 and it did im sure :huh:

I've never come across one, and Elsa doesn't give the option of DBW on this engine.

There may be exceptions, my GTI engine in the Lupo had a cable throttle body.

But the 75hp should have a cable throttle.

Maybe most do, im not sure, i know around 2002 models do have DBW.

Easiest way to check if you have DBW, is to drive along, and lightly press the brake with your left foot, if the engines power is cut then you have it, if not then you dont and you can left foot brake in future :lol:

Dont worry, the engine picks back up again after your take your foot off!

Even with a cable throttle, lighting up the brake light switch can cut the the engine power.

How does that work?

I thought it was something with the DBW which was cut off when you press the brake. Cable throttle would link directly to the engine, and other than totally turning the engine off, i dont see how i can cut the power?

All Lupo 75hp Lupos and 6N2 Polos had cable throttle bodies mate.

We have discussed this before many times. You are forgetting that there are many different engine codes for the 1.4 16v 75bhp, some have cable throttle and some are DBW.

Year 2002 and onwards seem to use the BBY engine, these are all DBW. There is one sitting in my garage right now and Ill post pics of the DBW if you don't believe me :P

How does that work?

I thought it was something with the DBW which was cut off when you press the brake. Cable throttle would link directly to the engine, and other than totally turning the engine off, i dont see how i can cut the power?

How could the throttle body put the car into safe mode?

It's only a butterfly valve.

The ECU tells the engine what to do, it works out there is a possible problem and attempts to protect the engine.

We have discussed this before many times. You are forgetting that there are many different engine codes for the 1.4 16v 75bhp, some have cable throttle and some are DBW.

Year 2002 and onwards seem to use the BBY engine, these are all DBW. There is one sitting in my garage right now and Ill post pics of the DBW if you don't believe me :P

Ah! That explains why there is no option for DBY on Elsa for my 75hp engine code.

There you go then, larger cable throttle body for an older 75hp, and a later Sport DBW Throttle body for a newer 75hp!

How could the throttle body put the car into safe mode?

It's only a butterfly valve.

The ECU tells the engine what to do, it works out there is a possible problem and attempts to protect the engine.

My technical knowledge running out yet again there :lol:

Looking at the engine codes , AHW, AKQ, APE, AUA, BBY are all 75bhp 1.4 engines ;)

Back on topic, here is the guy who works for Jabba: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...c=32494&hl=

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...32572&st=26

Edited by jon_273

• 2 weeks later...