What in the name of Christ!

Lukus 9N

Try working 15 hour days mate!

Try sitting through Linear Systems and Control lectures with foreign lecturers who do nothing more than read notes to you for hours on end in something which barely resembles English. You wouldn't believe how hard it is just to stay awake!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Putney i'm 32 next year, i finished uni ~3 years ago, i severely doubt the £40 odd quid i NOW give to the sls is going to pay off my 16,000 student loan debt by the time i'm 40 and i can't afford to pay more. i had just as much trouble getting a job without a degree as i did with one, infact more so with a degree as most employers don't want me as i'm "overqualified", you can get round being underqualified, much harder to get employers heads round the overqualified rubbish. My first job after uni paid me £11,000 pa, this was after 4 months of looking and i was put in the bin during the first rounds, only after they had interviewed their prime candidates and found no one suitable did they dig me out again, my BSc was a BIG problem for them. After 2 weeks tho they figured out i'm quite happy sweeping the floor up and washing the windows without being asked to when i'm out of work. The ONLY reason i left there was because i had to move to england to live with my fiance. i love my job now, but it took me 2 years in england to find it. i was literally being made redundant every 6 MONTHS until may this year, fingers crossed.

TIGZ - alot of students do work more than 15 hrs a day, say 4-8 hours lectures, lab work, 3-4 hours pt work at night then studying, report writing. pt work at the weekend, alot of students do 7 day weeks. but yep they do get 6 months holiday to make up for it, unless you count the homework, labs, fieldtrips, extra classes over the holidays, working your pt job(s) full time over the 'holidays'.

we don't get paid to go to uni, we get loans that we have to pay back at LOW (not no) interest rates and work pt to buy the essentials, i will never do my msc or get a phd, i simply can't afford not to work ft and get into more debt, i can't be doing with the stress and struggle of making ends meet.

not all student's are lay abouts who get drunk at every opportunity.

TIGZ - alot of students do work more than 15 hrs a day, say 4-8 hours lectures, lab work, 3-4 hours pt work at night then studying, report writing. pt work at the weekend, alot of students do 7 day weeks. but yep they do get 6 months holiday to make up for it, unless you count the homework, labs, fieldtrips, extra classes over the holidays, working your pt job(s) full time over the 'holidays'.

we don't get paid to go to uni, we get loans that we have to pay back at LOW (not no) interest rates and work pt to buy the essentials, i will never do my msc or get a phd, i simply can't afford not to work ft and get into more debt, i can't be doing with the stress and struggle of making ends meet.

THANKYOU!

Someone who realises that students (or at least not all of them) don't just lay about all day doing very little.

My course involved working 9-5 all week doing lectures, tutorials, and project work, then we would do a few extra hours in the evening, work over the weekend and back into lectures on the monday.

On day while I was feeling completely swamped, I took a break and worked out exactly how many hours the uni expected us to do. The result - 28 hour days for three weeks would have been needed to get one set of projects done (and that didn't include sleeping).

Oh, and my loan went on those completely unnescessary things of rent, bills and food...any time I wanted some spending money I had to work for it.

Edited by lunalupi

1 if your on the drug indefinitely you get medical exception card

2 drug dealers ARE scum of the earth end off all should be shout...

3 students should have to pay tax

4 and 1 thing that really pisses me off is if you have a degree even if its not in the field you work in you get paid more money ??? whats all that about ??? I understand if it was a degree in your chosen career ??? :furious:

Which you get back!

Yes of course we do. Our petrol is only a few pence and we get pounds knocked off clothes, food, and electrical goods too.

What tax do we get back?

NOCK

Edited by NOCK

lol Putney i'm 32 next year, i finished uni ~3 years ago, i severely doubt the £40 odd quid i NOW give to the sls is going to pay off my 16,000 student loan debt by the time i'm 40 and i can't afford to pay more. i had just as much trouble getting a job without a degree as i did with one, infact more so with a degree as most employers don't want me as i'm "overqualified", you can get round being underqualified, much harder to get employers heads round the overqualified rubbish. My first job after uni paid me £11,000 pa, this was after 4 months of looking and i was put in the bin during the first rounds, only after they had interviewed their prime candidates and found no one suitable did they dig me out again, my BSc was a BIG problem for them. After 2 weeks tho they figured out i'm quite happy sweeping the floor up and washing the windows without being asked to when i'm out of work. The ONLY reason i left there was because i had to move to england to live with my fiance. i love my job now, but it took me 2 years in england to find it. i was literally being made redundant every 6 MONTHS until may this year, fingers crossed.

well said!

I cant stand the 'our taxes are wasted on students' attitude alot of people have. its a very small % of tax that goes to students; we pay our loans back (including the interest), we pay what we can towards our tuition fees, many people have to pay studio fees on top of that. not to mention that student acomodation is a rip off for what you get!

if i hadnt been to university i would prbably have left school at 17 and got a full time job in a shop like many of my friends. id be earning little over minimum wage, therefore id be paying a low amount of tax. but with my degree i hope to earn alot more than that so the extra tax ill be paying will easily pay for any money the government have given towards my education.

p.s. the student life is mint - and being able to study, work part time and get bladderd every other night is nothing to do with being at uni - its called being young, having a laugh and having the energy to burn the candle at both ends!

4 and 1 thing that really pisses me off is if you have a degree even if its not in the field you work in you get paid more money ??? whats all that about ??? I understand if it was a degree in your chosen career ??? :furious:

Well they are better educated, the more qualifications you have the more money you can demand.... Thats how the game works mate!

If students end up in higher paid jobs then they do pay more tax. They also fill the positions thick buggers who don't have degrees can't fill... So there is a need for students!

carry on.

Yes of course we do. Our petrol is only a few pence and we get pounds knocked off clothes, food, and electrical goods too.

What tax do we get back?

NOCK

Well as far as Im aware all the students that work for us get taxed and then get it rebated.

Well as far as Im aware all the students that work for us get taxed and then get it rebated.

Anyone that earns less than £5220 (or thereabouts) per year gets their tax back. So that is why, not because we are students.

NOCK

only a certain amount - and if they didnt theyd probs need more of a loan to pay for all their acomodation and living expenses - so you lot would have to pay even more!!

your supposed to constantly drink water... or you will die, well get seriously ****ed up at least

Dude never take E if thats what you think you have to do .. you'll probably end up dead

i cant see how a person who makes money from selling something that takes control over someones life.

and how is that different to the bloke that sells you intoxicants in a licensed/off-licensed premises ?

I'm reluctant to go to university, because I don't want to borrow the money .. then again I don't want to be in and oput of mediocre jobs for the rest of my life, then again a degree is no guarantee of a decent job either :(

but thats not because they are students... I think thats because they are earning under the £5k year thresh hold.... So you are taxed monthly and get rebated...

Anyone that earns less than £5220 (or thereabouts) per year gets their tax back. So that is why, not because we are students.

NOCK

Ok I shall take note of that and put it in my funfax.

Dude never take E if thats what you think you have to do .. you'll probably end up dead

and how is that different to the bloke that sells you intoxicants in a licensed/off-licensed premises ?

I'm reluctant to go to university, because I don't want to borrow the money .. then again I don't want to be in and oput of mediocre jobs for the rest of my life, then again a degree is no guarantee of a decent job either :(

I think you hit the nail on the head...

A degree will Not guarantee a decent job.. BUt a degree with a good grade will let you apply for the generally higher paid jobs and better prospects..... If you are not the person they are looking for that job then having a degree wont help at all...

Some people are very good in the class room but suck in interviews....

Ok I shall take note of that and put it in my funfax.

Mr brown very kindly gives us £5k of our hard earned for free. what a nice man he is.... :)

yeah i saw that... Nobody asked me. Sooner they are out the better!

we all just gave another £3bn to northern rock, sure we can spare some change for the poor students lol

Interest rates held at 5% again. That'll mean another 0.25% on my mortgage 'because of market conditions', the b'stards. Last months totally unwarranted increase cost me another £17. The sooner that mortgage is paid off, the better. Anyone got a spare £115k knocking about?