On the motorway...

Alex_225

Guest Lauryn

I've got an 02 Lupo Sport and at 60 mph I'd say mine sits just a smidgen over 3k. I dont really fancy ever revving my car much higher than 3.5k or so, I make sure I change gears round about that so its not overly revved. Thats just how I drive though, I revved the tits off the last car but I didnt have as much love for that one! lol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its 6,000rpm for your newer Sport.

Older Sports like mine are 100BHP at 5,000RPM...check and mate.

I'm not sure about that, I have a January 2001 sport which came with the sales brochure from the 2001 model year and it says maximum power 100ps at 6000 rpm, this is the same in the 2005 brochure.

Sport owners, i want to know, is 70 exactly 3500RPM or a little more?

My satnav says that at 4000rpm in my 1.0 its exactly 71. Although the car shows more like 75.

I was thinking they are very similar boxes? But it would seem the 1.0 revs a little higher then...

Mine is around 3700 at 70 I think, its definately a little more than 3500.

-----------

As for VW designing an engine which doesn't work how its suppose to as an engineer fills me with horror so I don't think thats the case. True the arosa was originally designed as a budget car, but VW then brought the whole project upmarket and I believe the lupos original brief was to compete with a certain BMW mini, and they wouldn't use the engines if they didn't think they weren't good enough. The fact that the whole car wasn't as good and then it was replaced with a budget car doesn't infact make it one.

I personally think the engine life is more determined by correct warming up, cooling down, oil choice, fuelling (sports are meant to be run on 98) and most of all correct and regular servicing then how many times it hits the rev limiter in its life.

I'm not sure about that, I have a January 2001 sport which came with the sales brochure from the 2001 model year and it says maximum power 100ps at 6000 rpm, this is the same in the 2005 brochure.

My brochure (October 2000 - X reg) says 100PS @ 5,000rpm. I full well believe this as my car slows down after 5,000rpm. It must be dependant on the engine they used as to my understanding there are quite a few for the 16v Sport.

My brochure (October 2000 - X reg) says 100PS @ 5,000rpm. I full well believe this as my car slows down after 5,000rpm. It must be dependant on the engine they used as to my understanding there are quite a few for the 16v Sport.

Is yours DBW or cable throttle?

I believe they changed to DBW at the same time they went to 6000rpm?

Ive also heard cars with turbos should be left running for a minute before turing off too. Somthing i never do, nor do i do what you have suggested.

You do indeed need to let the turbo cool down when you've given the car a run. Basically to keep the oil flowing round it as it cools, just prolongs the life of the turbo.

A lot of older cars such as the old Jap turbos (200SX etc) and cars like the Renault 5 GTT need to be sat running for a couple of minutes or have a turbo timer installed which keeps the engine running even if you take the key out and lock the car.

Luckily with the Megane it has an electric oil pump which on a hot day will pump oil round the turbo to cool it down gradually. I tend to sit and run it for a minute or two just in case.

The question though has to be, what about all the non car enthusiasts and there engines. Surely manufacturers take into account that the average driver won't think about anything mechanical and may miss services etc. There must be engines out there which have taken far more abuse and ignorant treatment than any engine on here? :wacko:

The question though has to be, what about all the non car enthusiasts and there engines. Surely manufacturers take into account that the average driver won't think about anything mechanical and may miss services etc. There must be engines out there which have taken far more abuse and ignorant treatment than any engine on here? :wacko:

They do take it into account, but obviously there not miracle workers and if you repeatedly abuse an engine, it will break sooner than a looked after one. I know my aunty doesn't do many miles, but she will buy a car, never service it, keep it for 5 years until it breaks, then buy a new one. lol

I can't believe there are people who would buy a car like a Lupo Sport and never rev over 3500rpm!

If you say you don't do it because you love it, you'll love it a whole lot more when you give it some beans occasionally.

I have a 2001 sport. Red line is 6, 500rpm in 5th gear 60mph is dead on 3,000rpm on the dials and GPS. 70 is 3,500 ish may be a tad more and 80 is almost dead on 4,000. I tend to sit at 75 so the main power band is there for overtaking or or floring it before a hill. I would have no fear of sitting at 4,000rpm for hours at a time the engine is not straining at all. In the real world there is going to be more wear in stopping and starting at traffic lights than sitting at a constant rpm over 4k.

Edited by Unheard

I carnt see how stop start driving will wear the engine more than doing high revs, granted, it will wear the clutch and gearbox, but not the engine itself.

I dont worry too much about sitting at 4000rpm for long periods either. The few long distance drives i have done in my 1.0 ive sat at 75 all the way, which is 4000rpm. Although i think ive only done about 3 long distance drives (300+) with the 1.0.

I find it odd that people think different tbh, that means a sport is slow on motorways, if you dont go over 3500 your bearly touching 70.

If im honest, one of the biggest reasons for getting my TDi was because i liked the fact it has a refined engine, that is low reving and quiet at speed. Noise makes long drives tiring.

I can't believe there are people who would buy a car like a Lupo Sport and never rev over 3500rpm!

If you say you don't do it because you love it, you'll love it a whole lot more when you give it some beans occasionally.

Neither can i, your getting very little of the performance at that revs! Ive not drievn a sport, but im led to believe they come to life at 4000rpm? Its half the fun of driving a petrol car!

Diesels rev lower, have their power/torque much lower in the rev range and therefore they are so refined and relaxed to drive, with power on tap all the time. Petrols need working to get the best from them, generally.

Sports come to life at 3,000rpm. Hence why I get 50MPG. The second I'm over 3,000rpm you can watch your fuel gauge drop.

I didn't say I don't rev past 3,500rpm. I just rarely do it.

Look to the left of this page...I live in London...where the hell are you supposed to drive fast? That's what the track is for.

Edited by Niche

Guys guys guys (change to Gals if that be the case...)

4000rpm constant or not should be nothing for the 1.4 sport engines so long as your oil and belts are in good shape.

The 6200rpm 'Red Line' (or whatever it is) will be the Safe maximum tolerance for the engine. Go over that and yes indeed you could probaly say goodbye to the wonderful piece of metal sitting under your bonnet.

With that in mind 4000rpm shouldnt even tax the engine in the slightest. Im not saying i'd rag it every where but so long as you dont go stupid there shouldnt ever be a problem.

I am a biker first and foremost (driving cars is new to me) but am used to things reving their nuts off constantly. It often sounds an awful lot worse than it really is.

Ok iv'e spent my 2 pennies now. Im skint. Anyone lend a me a couple of pence?

I may have gone off on a complete tangent so please ignore me if so.

Off to fit my BMC cda now.... ready for running the qtr at Volksfest next Sunday... whoooo raaaarrrr

Look to the left of this page...I live in London...where the hell are you supposed to drive fast? That's what the track is for.

I wasn't really referring to you, but that's bullshit, there's plenty of brilliant B-roads that you can stretch the cars legs on without breaking the speed limit.

Although I have no knowledge of B-roads in London...

Finding decent roads is getting harder though.

I live in Surrey so I'm just south of London and the roads round have are either loaded with cameras or speed bumps. I have to take a massive detour to get to my mums house as 4 roads out of the 5 I could take have speed bumps on em. :(

I wasn't really referring to you, but that's bullshit, there's plenty of brilliant B-roads that you can stretch the cars legs on without breaking the speed limit.

Phil I have to say I think we are quite lucky with roads around here. There are plenty of great B roads just on our doorstep B)

I think we have it pretty good round here Phil, there are some really great roads not too far away! :D

Edit: wow im slow, 3 minutes after Jon and i didnt see the post :lol:

Edited by cardaft