Confused on keeping GTi...

Pepsi

Pick it up 15mm at the front and 25mm at the rear and tell me how it is

Don't listen to the ghey-wheels and decked-is-best crowd

Yep! Mine is down around 60mm off the standard on KW v1 and really cranks around the roads up here.

195/45/15 Michelin Pilots on the rear and Dunlop 2040s on the front.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually look forward to putting my Bathursts back on in the Winter as i raise the front up a bit when i do it, they also have proper tyres on and the handling is so much better.

Sell it if thats the case.

Think i remember seeing, top gear when the 172cup was on it and it kept lifting when pushed hard into the corners...Surely this aint a good thing.

There not bad cars and good enough money for what you get but everyman and dog has one. :lol:

Sell it if thats the case.

Think i remember seeing, top gear when the 172cup was on it and it kept lifting when pushed hard into the corners...Surely this aint a good thing.

There not bad cars and good enough money for what you get but everyman and dog has one. :lol:

Yeah all the clio's cock the inside rear wheel on hard cornering, my 1.2 did it a few times when pushed hard!

I love them, more common than the GTi's but I'm not overly fussed, rarer than a mondeo so it's ok!

iv got a lot of friends that are into the whole boy race scene the clio sports are quick and handling is like there on rails but their kinda 1.2 look a like and at the end of the day they arent overly impressive for 182bhp.

but my mates vts is not as quick on the straights as my GTi especially off the lights and he keeps on saying its his clutch slipping (likely story plus his is the fastest of his friends vts's)

and another friend of mine has a 106GTi but his is heavily tuned but goes pretty well (but still is a chav mobile)

but a lupo gti is not a car for speed its a real enthusiast car with plenty of character and looks plus id rather push a vw than drive a clio or a 106 again

but the choice is yours get what you feel comfortable with i know id rather have my gti than a clio anyday plus iv never clapped eyes on a chavved up gti yet (could be mistaken)

iv got a lot of friends that are into the whole boy race scene the clio sports are quick and handling is like there on rails but their kinda 1.2 look a like and at the end of the day they arent overly impressive for 182bhp.

but my mates vts is not as quick on the straights as my GTi especially off the lights and he keeps on saying its his clutch slipping (likely story plus his is the fastest of his friends vts's)

and another friend of mine has a 106GTi but his is heavily tuned but goes pretty well (but still is a chav mobile)

but a lupo gti is not a car for speed its a real enthusiast car with plenty of character and looks plus id rather push a vw than drive a clio or a 106 again

but the choice is yours get what you feel comfortable with i know id rather have my gti than a clio anyday plus iv never clapped eyes on a chavved up gti yet (could be mistaken)

I see what you mean, but the point of the clio is A to B fast, the straight line speed isn't what they are about, on a B road they really excel. I've wanted one for ages and I suppose I shouldn't have bought the GTi, but I'll put it down to experience!!

I know they are an entusiasts car, which is why I don't want to ruin one by using it on the track, they should be appreciated.

XSP_8080.jpg

XSP_8047.jpg

XSP_8022.jpg

not quite in the air but i reckon i dryer track and it would have been not really any detremental effect on the handling followed a williams clio last wednesday and he was locking the rear inside wheel on every corner then went all the way round it with inside rear a good 4 inches off the floor

ps. taking it on track wont hurt it solong as you keep out of the barrier and get it serviced more regularly

Edited by matt~black

Matt Black - nice pics! The leather is too slippy in it for hard ocrnering, and I think it is such a mint car as it is theres no point risking ruining it when I can get a more capable tool for it and let osmeone enjoy the car for what it is for. Thats what I wanted out of it but things change I guess.

Lukus, feel free to buy it, I'm not worried whos money it is as long as it's real ;)

I took my gti to an oulten park porsche trackday tagging along with my old man,

It was awesome, showed up a few porsche's bigstyle. The guy who actually ran the

porsche trackdays told me if i ever sell it he'll have it off me lol.

Its down to the driver alot, carn't say ive ever had a clio,106 vts stay with me

through a roundabout when ive got the g60 steels and contis on. Handles so well

i still havent put my summer wheels on.

i had a 106 GTi, it did not put a smile on my face! repair bill after repair bill does not make earni smile!

Lupo GTI makes me smile every time i drive it, especially when tossers in such cars mentioned above, try and embarrass you and the results are the other way around! i havnt had to spend a penny on keeping my lupo tip top other than cambelt change and a wheel bearing.

in conclusion - french cars are poo. fast but poo! i know what country my cars will be from in future

French cars will always be famed for there handling, and there's a reason for that, they're bloody good. A Clio Trophy is probably one of the best cars out there and i've yet to see VW produce any small hot hatch to rival that. The Lupo GTi is a great car and it's a great car mainly for it's 6 speed gearbox and it's eager nature, what you'll find with it is that you can jump in it drive like you stole it and it'll put a smile on your face, the very next day you can take it on a nice relaxing drive and it'll quite happily cruise along. They take so much abuse and they just don't give up, you wouldn't be able to abuse a clio as much and it last quite as well as a Lupo would. Further to this i think that a lot of people are missing the point some what, say the car did handle perfectly and you had insane amounts of grip, then what? Surely then it would lack any sort of character and charm, and then you'd be saying it was underpowered? I know that from moving my GTi that now having tons more grip with the R that if the Lupo would have had the same amount of grip it really would have been boring. However i did find with mine that when i lowered it on the KW's that it wasn't any where near as great as i had expected it to be, it still understeered pretty badly until i had a the camber set up at -2.5º, once i did that it transformed the car you could seriously feel the front end pushing back at you in the corners and it was significantly more planted and stable in corners , and contrary to popular opinion i had no real issues with tyre wear either.

my uncle has a 172 and it is a very quick car but i found it to be souless and the interior is just plain bad. I love the loop and if i did'nt have to sell i would keep it for a long, long time.

It seems as though you have made your mind up already but each to their own, maybe it just isn't for you. Good luck with whichever decision you make mate!

Nath

Edited by v3rmin

Grip does not equal handling

The car that but the biggest smile on my face ever had 165s, 45bhp and 4 gears

Mini's are like go karts...

I only really like rear wheel drive cars now. The Cupra R had to go as it had too much power through the front wheels.... it handled very well for a big car, the brakes were awesome.. the Lupo Gti was underpowered but I thought it was a great little town car. The suspension was too soft for fast b roads but in london i wouldn't really want hard suspension.. the roads are shockingly bad in town...

I liked the fact there were hardly any other lupo gti's on the road... You also have lots of nice little things to make the car feel a lot more grown up.... The dials, the lovely 6 speed gearbox, center exhaust, xenon lights, cool little wheels.... It felt really well put together. They were around the 10k mark when I had mine so hardly any boy racers had them... 125bhp was a good amount of power to have in a littel town car in 2001.... Things have moved on now but if you think that car was designed 8 years a go or more.. it was way ahead of the rest.

I think you bought the lupo for the wrong reasons... its obviously not what you were looking for in a car.... sell it and move on... sounds like you have a good spec one and it should sell pretty quickly....

i would be half tempted to take that off you myself for the mrs......

Thanks for the sensible replies.

I wanted it for the right reasons, a nice well built and specced nippy car, but since havign it I've had the urge for track use and the car just isn't made for it. The worst thing is the leather, it just doesnt hold you in place so im constantly hitting the door on left handers!

It isn't stupidly low on the coils, been pro set up and has -1.5 degree neg. camber, so it should handle well. It does handle well, but it's just not as fun as my old clio, and as a 172 will be. It's hard to explain.

Personally I think it is one of the best in the country, for condition, spec and how well it has been looked after (excluding the coils and full tyres I have put on the car I have over £3k in servicing, MOT and consumables reciepts). So I don't want to ruin it. The toys are great but it's not the kind of thing to keep me in a car, I want the smile factor everytime I drive it. the Lupo gets attention which I love, but is just missing something.