Lupo 1.4 tdi to 1.9 tdi engine swap....

pietch

Has been done: See tuning section for the Lupo with a 1.9TDI engine in. Not cheap but can be done.

Not seen any tuning companies offering this as not many have been converted and there's no known specific way to do it.

Think before people said it'll cost around £6-7K depending on how much you can do yourself and what parts you use.

If you know what you are doing and have a couple of mates that can help out then it shouldn't really cost 6-7k.

Engines shouldn't be that hard to get hold of. Most of the ones out of the Golf Mk4 era (same identical ones found in relevant Seat, Skoda models) with 130BHP came with a 6spd gearbox. This making it hard to fit and the guy who has done it had to do a lot of custom work to make it fit!

Saying that, the 5spd earlier models may also hard swap

Out of the £6-7K, a lot of the charge will be spent on labour and also if you want them to 'shop' for all the parts too.

But as with the conversion that has been done, he did have a lot of the parts. But yes i agree it can be done cheapily, but 'custom' work will need doing which tends to be the biggest hurdle as with 1.9TDI engines there is no specific way to convert them as next to none have been done, so there's no rule bit with what parts can be used or to use.

Oh and 'lupo pd 150' did state he was going to do a 1.8T converson, but ended up going for a 1.9TDI as he had a lot of the parts lying around from his stores. But following people undertaking 1.8T conversions, the basic parts needed for the larger conversions do add up from simple thing to larger brakes, lupo GTI rear beam for disk conversion, intercooler and piping etc...The engines are easily available and cheap to get hold of, its the smaller parts required to make it work.

Its been asked a lot of times and as most people find its not for the faint hearted.

We need to see more of these conversions!

Trust me, Its not that bad to do, any questions just ask

Are you a mechanic per any chance as you make the engine conversion sound so much easier than others have said in the past? More people will be doing these if there was a definate shopping list so to speak, i know I would, but obviously i'd convert a SDI rather than a TDI as it'll be cheaper i'd suspect

Edited by g-man85

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

would really love to do this conversion, just bought my first lupo, 1.4tdi, and its quite quick :surprised: . i have no problem doing the conversion just neeed the time and money (dont we all), so keeping half an eye out for damaged gti (well if your going to do it may as well do it properly!) and diesel engine and box, if one comes up at the right price i will start collecting the parts,

240 bhp????? fancy some of that by the way whats the fuel consumption with the bigger engine