Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

Safety first :-p

Yeah it's an all in one hi-vis. That's my mate in the pic and he's a fabricator. Been there, done that with the shard in the eye so is always careful now.

I'm going to have to have a rethink on the frames by the looks of it. They're making the new seats sit way too high. Ugh...

I'm going to have to have a rethink on the frames by the looks of it. They're making the new seats sit way too high. Ugh...

:( thats what happened to my Porche seats when i fist trial fitted them.... i then stripped as much away from the base of them and they turned out to be pretty low :)

I've since stripped some of the frame away from the base and made it sit at a manageable hight. Still a bit higher than I'd like but no more than standard. The MK6s sat lower than the standards. I've now got a problem that the lupo bases are wider than the seat I want to fit to them. Jesus H Christ!

Well after another saturday in a shed on top of a hill, we've managed to get the seats sitting how we want them. It was a little disconcerting dismantling £1500 worth of seat and cutting the frame but thankfully it worked. They're sitting fractionally higher than I'd like but there's not much more give in the standard frame so we'll have to live with it. Sadly I forgot to take some pics so you'll have to wait until next week to see the handy work.

Then today we whipped off the upper front door cards so everything is now out and ready for the trimmers.

IMG_2334.jpg

Whilst trial fitting the front seat we also pulled out the Mk6 Golf Gti steering wheel i've had sat for the last year or so. After a little lightbulb moment, we've stripped it down for some painting...

IMG_2335.jpg

And a couple of quick random shots..

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

Only person I know who's used them is Stu (with the mad custom dashboard). I removed mine and had the panel plastic welded and smoothed over. Sold the MF buttons on the 'bay and got £20 for them too lol

• Like 1

Cheers mate. Really looking forward to this year and getting a load of things done. The list so far:-

1. Get the new front seats fitted.

2. Retrim and refit the rear seats and doorcards

3. Find airbag and fit Mk6 steering wheel

4. Get the boot wired up

5. Repaint the dash centre

6. New exhaust

7. More engine goodies and a bit of tidying

8. Install

9. Build up 2013's wheels. :thumbup:

I'm sure there's more....

• 3 weeks later...

Well we finally got around to finishing the frames for the seats this weekend. A couple of the plastic trims need some modification but I'm not too concerned at the moment. We also had a call from the trimmers that the seats were ready so we finally got around to fitting them this afternoon and here's a teaser...

IMG_2489.jpg

- Recaro CS trimmed in nappa leather and fixed to modified Lupo/Recaro frames

- Gti rear seats, door cards, modified C-pillar trims and gear gaitor trimmed to match.

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

Hopefully I can get some better photos next weekend. The battery was flat again so couldn't move it out of the garage.

A big big thank you to Mr Colin G too for help in modifying the Lupo frames!

Edited by Huw Pugh

I did toy with the idea of solid heardests but i prefer the shape of these ones. I also toyed with covering the holes so as to retain the shape but have a solid rest. We must have designed 10 or so different designs for the rears but settled on this one. I'll have to give it some more thought.

hope you dont think i was slating this btw dude.......

Because I LOVE THIS CAR :D

Not at all mate. We always appreciate comments - good or bad - as it's nice to have other peoples perspective on things :D

Interior's blimmin' gorgeous :wub: Loop hoops have never looked so good haha

Cheers mate. Appreciated!