Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

Aye bit of stretch & they'll work I reckon. Anyway they're stunning, nice work mate!

Thanks guys. We were going to try some stretch but I know in my mine it just wouldn't look right and Ellie wont be happy driving it. I spoke to Braid this morning though and they said they would exchange the 2" for 1" so subject to them being happy when I send them back, it should be problem solved and we can get the tyres straight on.

• 1 month later...

Everything about these wheels is a pain in the chuff! The new lips should be here tomorrow then it's time to build them up but I'm struggling to find some tidy valves - they use a 90 degree type rather than the usual straight type but the hole is approx 11mm where as the Rays valves are 8mm. :ouch:

Anyways... tyres are my next problem. What would you run with a fitment like this? I was originally planning on 195/40/16 but I'm not sure it'll give enough stretch on a 7/7.5" rim to tuck in the arch...

DSC_1060_zpsfb6077c6.jpg

Edited by Huw Pugh

The 165 on a 7 seems to work...

7_165_40_R16_595.jpg

I think it'll be too much for a 7.5" though? :(

195/40 give a basically flat sidewall on 7's,I went for 165/45/16 on a 7, it's not quite as extreme as 165/40, especially on 7.5's.

They will look mint when you get them on though!

Have you got any photos mate? If I was going to go for a 195, it'd be for the rears which would be a 7.5 but even then, I'm not sure there's enough stretch?

7.5_195_40_16_Dunlop_SP_Sport_9000_595.j7.5_195_40_R16_4_595.jpg

The only pictures I've got at the minute, the angle kinda makes them look more stretched then the pic you posted. I'm not sure if there are any other options for the rears, you might just be able to get away with 195 if the arches are rolled flat and a little bit of camber

20120821_145347_zps3f3c5d0c.jpg

20120821_145404_zps1c2b6431.jpg

Thanks mate. They sit great. :thumbsup: I think I'll have a try with some 195's for the rears with a bit of camber. I've got to change a hub as one of the holes is threaded so shouldn't be too much more work to pop a couple of shims in while we're there.

• 3 weeks later...

Rim Style I think it was mate. Should be a tenner plus postage.

So I've been throwing my toys out of my pram this week as things seem to be taking a lot longer to sort than I'd like. Part of it is my fault while I waited for some new dishes to be made but I've been without other parts for 6 months and I can't even remember when I took the car to the paint shop :lol:

Sadly I don't think it's now going to make Early Edition which I really wanted to do but I'm hoping we'll have some decent updates over the next week or so.

To cheer me up, El sent me these comparisons from when she got the car to now.

0E43FA79-0A89-4A77-9459-8264D1495E23-245

89539EE2-B5D0-43F0-BECD-132838B7BCDF-245

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...