Project GTI - Mmmm carbon .......

elliecjno1

Well done this year mate the Lupo looks awesome :)

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Awesome... Perfect! I like it..

Cheers :thumbsup:

Looking awesome Huw, well done of the trophies mate, about time this picked up some silverware ;)

Cheers Alex. Considering I wanted to pack it all in at the start of the year, we've not done too bad.

The car has been in VW with my mate for a once over this weekend. It was due a belt change and service but also changed the water pump and starter motor for good measure.

While it was up on the ramps though he spotted the subframe has taken a knock at some point and a couple of bushes needed replacing. I was hoping to fit some new suspension over the weekend but the knock in the subframe made me think it's probably worth changing that and all the bushes in one go. I'm trying to resist completely going to town on the underside now.

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Cheers Alex. Considering I wanted to pack it all in at the start of the year, we've not done too bad.

The car has been in VW with my mate for a once over this weekend. It was due a belt change and service but also changed the water pump and starter motor for good measure.

While it was up on the ramps though he spotted the subframe has taken a knock at some point and a couple of bushes needed replacing. I was hoping to fit some new suspension over the weekend but the knock in the subframe made me think it's probably worth changing that and all the bushes in one go. I'm trying to resist completely going to town on the underside now.

Good man, all the hard work has paid off! Underside detailing is the way forward ;)

I'm doing some work on the Puma at the moment, front sub-frame, wishbones, ARB and drive shafts removed for powder coating. Got a full set of Powerflex bushes to go on, new 4 brand manifold, new ABS sensors, tone rings and wheel bearings to fit. Should be completely brand new then :)

Alex

• 2 months later...

Been crap at reading through other builds, looks incredible especially when I got a nose round @ Players goodwood.. the paintwork is something else!

Did you have much trouble with the subframes for the cs's if you don't mind me asking?

Absolutely great idea with the carbon laminated engine cover.

I would say...my carbon guy got another part to do now :D

Thanks mate :D

Been crap at reading through other builds, looks incredible especially when I got a nose round @ Players goodwood.. the paintwork is something else!

Did you have much trouble with the subframes for the cs's if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers Ross. They were a bit of a mare to be honest. We had to cut the frames of the CS's and then fabricate them on to the GTI frames. They sit a fraction too high for my liking although I'm not sure why as we measured one against the old seat and they were the same. At some point I'd like to look at some alternative frames and runners to try and get them sitting lower but its not top of my to do list at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a little slow on updating this, largely because I've not done anything recently. :lol:

We were lucky enough to have won the AF competition so thank you to anyone who clicked the link and gave us a like. We ended up with an epic little goody bag.

DSC_1972-1_zpsae2cfe39.jpg

Finally got around to moving the car out of the garage this weekend and gave it a little wash. It needs a machine polish after the 2013 show season has taken its toll on the paint but all in all, it doesn't look bad.

DSC_0003-2_zpsfee602d9.jpg

DSC_0007-3_zps93649aac.jpg

Then I started work on the replacement subframe. It was looking worn when it arrived but a couple of hours with the grinder and paint and its looking spanky.

DSC_0002-1_zps7bad6046.jpg

DSC_0008-4_zps9b677592.jpg

DSC_0010-5_zps32b2d1cd.jpg

Edited by Huw Pugh

Decided to spend the afternoon fitting the new bits. They're all in for the engine mount bolts. While I was at it, I finally finished the grill by applying Gtechniq C4 to each honeycomb. It wasn't the most exciting of tasks but glad I did it. Just the lower grills left now :shifty:

DSC_0001-1_zpsff69a6a5.jpg

DSC_00032-2_zps4aacf894.jpg

Loving the attention to detail. The car looks absolutely gorgeous. Mine could do with a machine polish and although I have one, a little scared to use it !

How did you do the grill ? Did you use cotton buds to get inside or something else ?

• Like 1

Yeah, some meguires swabs. I pulled the grill off, took the badge out then used APC and a swab to clean each hole. I dried it with another swab wrapped in kitchen roll to stop any water drying and staining the plastic. Then another swab was used to apply the Gtechniq, with another swab wrapped in a microfibre to buff the excess off. It's a couple of hours of my life I won't get back but I've found it strangely rewarding :lol:

• Like 1

I rarely comment on threads just browse through but the attention to detail is amazing on this, absolutely stunning and one of my favourite Lupos. Wish my engine bay was even CLOSE to yours, incredible. :clap:

It never ends Huw :)

Too right. I was looking in the bay the other day at a couple of bolts and saw a whole raft of bits I want done :lol:

where did you get the chrome bonnet catch?

It's a stock catch that was sent to be plated.

We took the lupo to its first show this year on the weekend. It was great to get it out and see it getting some attention.

DSC_1962-1-2_zps4a9fea04.jpg

DSC_2042-2_zps16f7e185.jpg

DSC_2043-3_zpsd8c6326b.jpg

DSC_2046-4_zpsf9b0d30d.jpg

We even took the dog with us. Colour coding to the max :lol:

DSC_2064-6_zpse22bf8cf.jpg

DSC_2057-5_zps57112b29.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...