1.9TDI Conversion

lupo pd 150

tbh thats impressive, very nice, overall a cracking motor.

whats the handling like with the weight?

I can tell its a little bit heavier on the front but nothing to be concerned about it still handles like a go cart

I believe the cylinder head work has has alot to do with the turbo spool up time as i have a golf mk2 1.8t with a pe1820 hybrid turbo and that has also been commented on by a big company (who did the mapping for me) and they said they had never had another 1.8t want to rev like this and it spooled up very quickly

I can tell its a little bit heavier on the front but nothing to be concerned about it still handles like a go cart

I believe the cylinder head work has has alot to do with the turbo spool up time as i have a golf mk2 1.8t with a pe1820 hybrid turbo and that has also been commented on by a big company (who did the mapping for me) and they said they had never had another 1.8t want to rev like this and it spooled up very quickly

very nice, bet its shocked a few people over time

have you got an estimate for the costs or are you keeping that schtum? lol

Lag much

TBH, The exhaust side of that turbo is from a VNT17, Thus It'll spool up only a tiny bit slower than the standard one, It'll barely create any lag at all, what with it being VNT...

Its a vnt 17/20 hybrid from allard, Should be good for 200+hp and 340+lbs/ft

I will get this fitted soon with a different gearbox with a taller diff as i am finding the gearing touran unit far too low

That is going to be impressive!

Not that it isnt already, i was the person with Jon when he collected those arosa springs.

Its an awsome car, certainly has some pull! B)

• 4 weeks later...

I have hardly even lifted the bonnet in the last month or so, its just getting used and abused! I am still on the look out for a 5 speed gearbox from a polo (9n) 100 pd. I could build a gearbox with all the ratio's that would be perfect but it would cost me a fortune for the parts and moneys hard when you have 3 projects on the go.........

Hey I like this thread I am looking to buy a lupo for a daily driver and do this conversion.

What parts will I need exactly? gearbox? If you could PM a list of parts and number any info on wiring ect that would be great!

One other question do think the 2.0 BKD/BMN would fit?

This is my first post

Edited by mikemph

• 1 month later...

Had a 'before' dyno run last week just so i knew that the motor was doing what it should be.

For some reason I am unable to post the pics from photobucket ?????????

anyway we had 158.3bhp @ 4,073rpm and more importantly 268lbft at 1970rpm!!!

This was running in standard form apart from the headwork and exhaust so I was pleased with the results

I'd say a fair bit more than selling yours and buying a TDI, considering the fuel differences there's a lot to consider. Different box is a must for starters.

Edit: Ahh, I see - you meant a 1.9... probably still a lot easier to start off with a diesel

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I will dig out the part numbers when i get into work tomorrow, I used a mk3 golf tdi shaft for the drivers side (100mm inner joints to match the 02S gearbox that i used) with the lupo outer joint fitted,perfect length.I had to shorten a passenger side shaft by a couple of inches and again used lupo outer joint and 100mm inner.

Not sure what kind of times this thing would pull,but they should be reasonable

:shades:

Hi again have you had a chance to get the part numbers for the parts you used >

Thanks Karl

Would this be of any use for the 5 speed box you are talking about getting http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=849

• 4 weeks later...

Would this be of any use for the 5 speed box you are talking about getting http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_in...products_id=849

[/quote

That would be perfect for it but i think i have found a polo box for sale that already has a 3.1 diff as standard so i just need to do a deal with the lad

• 10 months later...

Just a quick update, The lupo is still going strong it was remapped a couple of months ago and its the 2.0l 170hp turbo welded onto the 1.9l manifold .

Too be honest i dont even lift the bonnet other than too check the oil and top the sceenwash up!!

^ Let me know if you ever decide to sell this.

I wont be selling am afraid!

what issues have you had with the gearbox, would you recommend a 5 speed box for anyone else looking to undertake this?

Yes the 5 speed box it the way to go !

Just a quick update, The lupo is still going strong it was remapped a couple of months ago and its the 2.0l 170hp turbo welded onto the 1.9l manifold .

Too be honest i dont even lift the bonnet other than too check the oil and top the sceenwash up!!

These are the type of Project cars I like to read about.

Ones that just work.

Nice job dude.

• 1 month later...

sweet good to know, i shall be doing a 130 conversion into my sport late next year after i get my interior sorted

Definately echo the 5 speed 'box comments :)

Getting an O2m in was... interesting.

Research research research if you are planning on doing this conversion. One false move and you can cause yourself weeks of agony.