Turbo-ing a 1.0l

alice

Well i really want a lupo gti but being only 17 i cant get insured at a reasonable price :wacko: also my dad doesnt want me to have one until im a bit older, so for the minute I have my arosa 1.0l!

For some reason ... because my family are mad on cars dad said he would let me turbo charge the little arosa :) so basically this post is for help about where i should start looking for a turbo that would suit a 1.0 .... any help would be appreciated.

Also i wouldnt be doing this work myself! ha!

xx

Complete and utter waste of money imo.

come on dude, it would be good for novelty value

turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbo

but it still only does 0-60 in 14 secs or summit..... how distinctly rapid lol

:lol:

little chris

xxx

it would be a laugh tbh! catch some peoples attention "a 1.0 turbo"

trouble is i cant imagine it being a simple job

the internals will most certainly be upgraded

theyre not exactly the type of lump designed to be tuned

well we'll see what everyone else says

little chris

xxx

A turbo conversion would cost probably twice what your car is worth...

Custom exhaust manifold would be needed, custom head spacer plate and two head gaskets, a turbo small enough not to explode the engine on the first run, so something from like a charade GTTi perhaps... Then all the pipework, then maybe injectors from a 1.4 8v if they'll fit, and a custom ECU, together with all the wiring and mapping, Your already looking at around £3500... So uttely pointless its unbelievable!

if he is not letting you get a gti then there is not much point turboing the 1.0l. i think insurance would be more than a gti. also iam sure it would cost more to turbo your arosa than to buy the gti. i know there will be a lot of engine work and then you would need to update brakes, exhaust, custom pipes. etc.

and i really dont see it pushing more bhp than a gti.

iam not 100% on this as it was a while ago i looked into it but i think it was something like 4-5k to get the 1.0l up to 100bhp if that. so should just buy a sport.

but if you do it it would be a laugh

why bother with a 1L?

learn how to properly drive, get some miles under your belt and save your cash for your next car

just my opinion though...

give that boy a cookie! from driving the 1litre for years i got used to having no power and it makes you think more about how you drive , as you need to plan your overtaking etc etc and builds up your no claims and now i have the cupra i find it easy to drive purely because i was that used to being careful in the 1litre as to where i overtook etc etc and how a car handles if you do something stupid

Im all up for doing something different... But in this case you have to really look at cost against benefit... Yes you can make a bullet proof one litre engine which is reputable as a 1litre turbo, but its going to cost alot of money as there's going to be no off the shelf parts, which means custom!

If you have the ability to weld, and have the materials and know-how to do it all yourself, then go for it! But if you are looking to buy the kit and bolt it on, then its not going to happen unfortunately!

Not only have you got to consider the turbo manifold, oil lines, coolant lines, intercooler piping, fuel injectors, compression ratio, and ECU - I think the main problem would be the block itself, and it won't be designed to take much extra power, which may mean you'll just shred the engine, but it may hold out... you just wont know until you do it!

If you are determined to go down the forced induction route, a supercharger is going to be easier for you to get running. First thing is first - Id think about if the standard management will run it, ring a few of the tuning companies about a remap, explain what you plan to do and see what they say. If your ECU won't run it then you're looking at changing your engine wiring and ECU for standalone, which for full set-up and installation is going to be the best part of a £1k on its own!

As others have said, you still won't be getting faster, maybe boost it up to 80bhp?

Youve got to think long and hard if it is worth it as you could just be pouring money down the drain...

give that boy a cookie! from driving the 1litre for years i got used to having no power and it makes you think more about how you drive , as you need to plan your overtaking etc etc and builds up your no claims and now i have the cupra i find it easy to drive purely because i was that used to being careful in the 1litre as to where i overtook etc etc and how a car handles if you do something stupid

Yeah, with little engines you can drive on the limit, and if you make a balls of it you are still going slow enough to recover. Try that in your 1.8T and you will end up dead! :P