The definitive Gearbox thread

• 1 month later...

I have taken my Lupo 1.7SDi into Selecta Gear in Middlesbrough today to have the gearbox sorted.

Symptoms are heavy whining noise on deceleration, grinding noise under load and jumping out of reverse. Oh, and the clutch release bearing is noisy.

I will let you all know the price and outcome when I get it back, hopefully, on Friday...

Edit:

Got the car back and was charged £450 to:

Remove gearbox.

Replace gearbox bearings.

Check synchro's etc.

Fit clutch kit.

Replace gearbox.

The car runs really well now with no whines, cruches or noises :D

Edited by freakyeke

• 4 weeks later...

IVE GOT A LUPO 1.0L 03 PLATE , 42 K MILES , MY BOX IS VERY STIFF IN EVERY GEAR , IT IS NOT NOISY AT ALL ,NO PROBLEMS JUMPING OUT OF GEARS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I NEVER DROVE IT ALL WINTER AND IT SEEMS EVEN STIFFER. I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE NEEDED GREASED AROUND THE SELECTOR LINKAGE BELOW GEARSTICK, NOT TRYED ANYTHING YET AS I NEED A DRIVESHAFT. ANYBODY ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT WAS THE CURE ??? REGARDS JOHN.. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

My 01 1.0 arosa has 75k on it, whines pretty much all the time and makes a metallic clicking when coasting in gear with the clutch disengauged and then makes a rubbing sound when the clutch is at its biting point. Goes into gear ok and doest pop out or grind. The car does still have its original clutch so either way it needs a new one, would rather get the box done before it goes big time. Any one had anything like this?

After driving it again today I thougt **** it made a few calls £475 recon fitted and if I supply a clutch he'll fit it as well (£50 off eBay) box has got a 6 month warrenty to boot. Im happy with that only draw back is the 2 hour yomp to Wolverhampton from somerset! But the best I could get round here for that is £800 and they want a couple days to do it. So I'll be putting off coilovers for a while longer :-(

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've got a 1.0E X-reg Lupo.

Gearbox is noisy on power and overrun, but it's not a whine, it's a chuffing, a bit like a steam train, but still definitely drive-train related (its not a blowing exhaust). It has been getting slowly louder over the last 4k miles or so. The noise goes away when the clutch is depressed. The noise gets more high-pitched, and faster, the faster the car goes. It doesn't change when I change gear, except that it briefly stops when I depress the clutch. (By which I mean whatever the gear, the noise is the same, as long as speed is constant).

The gears are still as easy to change as always, no problems there.

I assume this means its my output bearings?

However if this is the case why doesn't it happen regardless of clutch position as the output is always turning whilst moving?

Its not the clutch release baring as there's no rumbling from the depressed pedal, and the baring's only under strain when the pedal is depressed.

Still looks like its a new gearbox no matter how you look at it :( . Will be emailing 1st Gear Transmissions tomorrow :(

Edited by TomLS

• 2 weeks later...

At high speeds when going into the next gear or gear below with my clutch fully in. It crunches into gear? not the pedel box as its just been replaced. Clutch cable?

At high speeds when going into the next gear or gear below with my clutch fully in. It crunches into gear? not the pedel box as its just been replaced. Clutch cable?

Try tightening it, see if that makes a difference

Could do with some possible gearbox related help if anyone has a clue.....

For a few months I've had quite a loud clicking from the front end of my lupo gti 6 speed over bumps etc which I thought may have been the arb bushes which were to be replaced this weekend. Until this morning I had a few loud knocks and bangs from the same area - front left I think :(. It now sounds like a spitfire when driving in gear although revs fine in neutral and goes into every gear ok??? Pulled Over straight away and didn't have much time to check so can't say much more but I'd be gratefull if anyone has any ideas or advice at all!

Thanks

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

help!!!- is my box sh@gged?

it has been slipping out of fifth for a week when coasting, today started slipping out of fifth under load as well. at times i could only put it in 4th, then a few minutes later i could only put it in 5th. also started to make a bit of a whirring noise!!..

cheers

I have the gearbox whining problem. But rather than to describe it, I recorded it and here is the link.

My mechanic changed a bearing in the gearbox. Not sure which one. It didn't work. I hope someone recognizes the sound and tells me what to change. Because other than the whining the gearbox is fine. So it should be a bad bearing somewhere.

I would be weary weary happy if someone could help me.

Best regards.

help!!!- is my box sh@gged?

it has been slipping out of fifth for a week when coasting, today started slipping out of fifth under load as well. at times i could only put it in 4th, then a few minutes later i could only put it in 5th. also started to make a bit of a whirring noise!!..

cheers

Hi mate my gear box was doing the same thing. Turns out there's a hole in the casing and it basically needs changing because there's know oil in it. Which is pretty serious I'm just scouting around trying to find a reasonably priced one. Badtimes if it's the same as mine :(

• 1 month later...

I've got a 1.4S and theres a small noise that sounds like something being sprayed whenever I release the clutch pedal.

Verdict??? :/

Hi

My gearbox is nacked i think its hard to select gears when moving but when standing still in gear it moves forward and when i brake to stand still it stalls but if i mange to get it out of gear while idleing the try to select 1st it doesnt want to know unless i switch off the ignition select first then let it pull away of its on own accord with the clutch down to the floor it still pulls away and whilst driving its hard to go down gears and crunchs in 3rd but as soon as its in gear its fine, so can anyone tell me if its the common fault peddle box or i need a new gearbox cheers

• 3 weeks later...

nothing tops my bear gox :) day1 massive bang crash and thump from that reagion hard to get in gear and loud whining and crunching through all gears..

day2 went to work init welded back up the custom rear engine mount and selected gears better crunching went and whining was at its lowest

day3 just comming home from my second job adn now a nice sexy nocking sound is comming sounds like a live band comming from my gearbox lucky scrappy near me has plenty of boxes i can pick up for a few quid on tursday so its only got to last tomorrow :)

• 3 weeks later...

mine is starting to whine when in 5th gear and gets louder the fast i go, only in 5th gear, no ther, will this be the pinion bearing??? :(

I had my centre console out and the grease on the selector is dry and brittle.

I had been having some weird resistance going into 3rd, but it turns out the foam section round the mechanism was catching, all tucked out the way and that is fine.

Any recommendations for cleaning off the old grease and what to replace it with? I've loads of lithium grease around from my bike but it isn't meant to be too kind on rubber or plastic.

where is the best place i can get a re-con box from?? anyone know?? asap

• 3 months later...

Just had my gearbox refurbed, all bearings and syncros for £285 inc vat at Kent Transmissions. I highly recommend him. Such a nice chap and I dropped it off on Thursday afternoon to have it done on Friday morning. Somewhere else was quoting me £485+ vat and the people on ebay didn't understand that by me supplying my old unit to rerurb and give back it was the same principle as an exchange unit. so they tried to charge £475

I had a bearing noise from my gearbox about 5000 miles ago and it had progressively getting worse however all gears still engaged fine. They were noisy when coming off the throttle though.

I a video of what it sounded like when it suddenly went, it was a long drive home and apparently i just stopped in time because when the main shaft was taken from the casing the bearing fell apart.

PHEEEWWW

All in and working wonderfully.

:-)

• 1 month later...

The 16v box can fail really suddenly. I had mine replaced with a recon part a month later I pulled off from a roundabout and it just failed. Big bang, no drive and a huge oil slick. Leek Transmissions refused to replace it even with a year warranty