the Silver Sedan!

nfbr

I hope it's on and running, boosting with black smoke ;)

After a long evening in the workshop, It's on the car with a new Oil Feed and Return pipe, New Exhaust manifold gasket, Downpipe gasket and oil return gasket and fresh oil and oil filter!

Was a much easier job to remove than to refit. All that's left now is to get it mapped up.

Will put some pics of the turbo up tomorrow as they've done a lovely job of making it look nice as well as perform nicely ;)

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth the money i hope then? :D

Turbo was in need of reconditioning anyway. Seems the wrong oil was used in the car previous to me owning it.

Didn't cost me much more to have this converted than it would have to buy a replacement!

How much more BAR can this take then, or is it the way that it spools thats more important.

Standard turbo is rated to 1.6 bar but I had mine running 1.7.

This one is rated to 1.8 bar so I'll probably run it at 1.75 bar, set the fueling to match and see what It comes out with.

do you mind saying how much it was to have done,im looking at geting mine done but wasnt sure what price they charge,may be different on mine being a smaller turbo to start with,i think mine was running 22psi last time it was mapped,and my scan gauge regularly reaches 21 :) hope to see the progress and your car at edition?

The Stage 2 Hybrid conversion for the GT1749VA / GT1759VB is ÂŁ595 + VAT. That's litterally just for the work re-building the turbo. Not the removal or any of the parts to re-fit.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who does hybrid rebuilds on the GT1544S used on the lupo TDI

what is the difference to the standard one then?bigger internally?might look into it :),if i remember correctly mine is part of the manifold so will have to send the whole lot off im guessing,wouldnt mind bein taken out in yours,sounds like its a decent drive

As mentioned, Nobody does hybrid conversions for the 1.4 TDI's and I don't think it's somethint the turbo companies would consider due to the engine not being the most popular choice.

I try and avoid passenger rides as I'd probably end up getting done for speeding or something..

Some pics of the turbo:

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06585.jpg

DSC06587.jpg

Edited by nfbr

Now pushing just under 200whp :) not sure what that is at the flywheel as we didn't bother doing the calculations because every rolling road converts it differently.

There's a minor problem of either a boost leak, or what we now think could be an exhaust leak between the Head and the exhaust manifold causing a high pitch whistle/squeel on full boost. Exhaust all needs re-aligning too as it's knocking at the back after being re-fitted.

Not far off though now :)

Took it out for a quick spin after mapping and it's absolutely amazing! Even though the torque is now down to 351lb/ft, It's spread much more evenly across the entire rev range making it a hell of a lot quicker in the top end of the revs! Goes through the gears for fun now! :)

There's a little bit more to be had on the fuel and on the boost, but we're going to leave it as it is until this leak has been solved and the car has been run a bit.

Chances are it'll see a little more power once said leak is fixed! :)

Edited by nfbr

Still wrong fuel, but impressive none the less :)

I know, I know... Just wait for the Caddy Van ;) That'll be the right fuel.

Just read from mid-July.

Lovely work!

Thanks Iain :) (Now you know why I've been selling everything on eBay lol)

Cool work B)

Thanks Ben :)

will you still see typical diesel type mileage after all this work?

Well I was getting anything upto 50 when running standard (130bhp) upto about 54mpg with the initial map (160bhp), upto about 59mpg with the Pre-intercooler map (185bhp) pretty much the same again with the post intercooler map (192bhp). Of course all those figures are @ Flywheel and I didn't bother with a flywheel figure this time round.

I would imagine from how it drives I'll probably get similar MPG again on regular day to day driving as the power is much more evenly distributed throughout the rev range :)

That turbo and manifold looks flipping lovely. When you get the bay out at shows you need to have a little sign pointing down to the turbo saying "hey everyone, come see how good i look" haha

Haha, Nah, the bonnet will stay shut :) Hense why I've kept it looking as standard as possible.

The annoying bit is that it is still making this annoying whistle noise :(

Not really had a proper chance to change over the downpipe gasket / egr gasket etc. Just hoping it's something simple like that. Other wise it'll be going back to a standard turbo and the previous map state.

Yeah, wise idea. Those people who give rides across the dam at Kielder water at 100mph are really uncool... ;)

Who said anything about 100mph?? :lol:

DSC00016.jpg

I can't believe how far you've gone on the modding of the Bora in what seems like a really short space of time! Cool! :)

Cheers :)

Might not even be coming :(

Looks like theres an issue with my new turbo as it's giving a bit of blue smoke on idle...

Turbo Dynamics are blaming the exhaust not having enough back pressure, but luckily, I wasn't born yesterday so I'm basically gona ring my card company and get them to put the transaction on hold until they have resolved the problem.