Private reg plates??

paul.ekc

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American's and Aussies have much cooler reg plates :angry:

Although I still want WOW 110T ever since I saw it on a Dodge Viper as a kid.

I had a supercar book with that Viper in it. :)

Yeah, in America you can have whatever you like as long as nobody else has it can't you?

They are :):coffee:

Do Halfords make short plates???

Yes they do have to provide doc's to prove u own the plate tho

When you say short, do you mean physically smaller than a standard plate, or do you mean 5 character ones? I'm guessing you mean the former in which case I'd be VERY surprised. They'd land themselves in deep doodoo if they got caught doing it and have to record every plate they make plus put they're mark on it, so if you got pulled with an illegal plate that was traceable to them, game over for Halfords.

I'd make them though!! Lol

And 6 digits are best, as per our matching ones! ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a physically shorter plate if the requirements are met for the border around the digits.

I could be wrong though.

I think thats right about the shortened plates too, but halfords wouldn't make them, they get long plates and large square plates in, itd have to be a very bored/friendly employee to make a shortened one.

I had a supercar book with that Viper in it. :)

Yeah, in America you can have whatever you like as long as nobody else has it can't you?

I think so. They're obviously rather pricey though.

WOW110T now resides on a Plymouth Prowler. I think the plate is probably owned by Chrysler UK.

I saw BEA55T on a Lotus Carlton before, very fitting!!

Thought that private plates were loads cheaper in America?

I saw a big Merc 4x4 with G1MPS. :lol:

And there's a Kia round here with WH05 POO.

I want a short plate. Can't find owt. :(

Edited by Philplop

Thought that private plates were loads cheaper in America?

I think you're right. I know in some states you apply for the index you want within the set parameters and if approved, you pay an initial fixed fee plus a yearly retention fee.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a physically shorter plate if the requirements are met for the border around the digits.

I could be wrong though.

You are I'm afraid. Plate sizes are set in stone, along with character font, sizes and spacing. Also what's allowed on the plate (ie slogans and pictures). There's not even any provision in the law for plates to be stuck on rather than screwed on, but that never seems to be enforced.

I doubt even a bored person at Halfords could make you one up, because most people use a particular software package (and I know Halfords do) which forces you to input all the document data (the proof the customer has to provide) before it'll let them print the plate out.

Most people who do illegal plates use vinyl, cos there's nothing (software-wise) to stop them.

Halfords dont 'print' number plates. There is a strict way to enter the details, as a complete record has to be kept of each plate made.

But the way they make them is by placing the letters on a background, and then sticking the acrylic to the letters on the background.

They could, albeit not approved, make them to any configuration they wanted. If you said you wanted it for your bedroom door for example, there is a way round it in the software, but if it looked anything remotely similar to a real car reg, I know the store I worked in wouldn't do it.

Edit: And from the DVLA Website it makes it look like aslong as the plates big enough for the letters, that there legal.

Edited by Gibbeth!

Halfords dont 'print' number plates. There is a strict way to enter the details, as a complete record has to be kept of each plate made.

But the way they make them is by placing the letters on a background, and then sticking the acrylic to the letters on the background.

They could, albeit not approved, make them to any configuration they wanted. If you said you wanted it for your bedroom door for example, there is a way round it in the software, but if it looked anything remotely similar to a real car reg, I know the store I worked in wouldn't do it.

When we had ours done at Halfords (no visible maker logo :shades: ), the set they initially made up were 24 66 R. Then the corrected pair were all wonky, so we eventually got the third set. They snapped the other two sets in front of me. Halfords do make 'display' plates, and they are a little bit cheaper, but still the standard size.

They are made by hand, rather than laser printed. My cousin makes the laser printed ones as small as you need (like on nob head bikes)

Edited by IDGM

Edit: And from the DVLA Website it makes it look like aslong as the plates big enough for the letters, that there legal.

I'm quite aware of the regs - I'm registered with the DVLA as a Vehicle Number Plate Supplier! :lol::lol::lol:

Halfords mark is actually very subtle, and is easily missed, which is the way I think it should be. People shouldn't be forced into advertising your company just cos they've bought plates from you. But I guess not everyone see's it the way I do. I have to say though, I'm surprised they place the characters individually by hand there. Poor way of doing it - too much room for error, as IDGM found out. Printing is the best way really, as it allows different legally allowed effects. However, if doing stuff that's not strictly legal, vinyl is better. But it should be cut and applied in one strip, so individual characters don't go to pot.

• 4 months later...

Regtransfers don't actually own any/many plates - they have plates people own and want to sell on (at a price they estimate) listed for sale. Also any available plate on the DVLA will come up on their site.

The RAC used to have a free lookup tool to determine whether a car was taxed, the make, model etc all from the number plate, but now they charge for it :(

DVLA had something similar too but I can no longer find it... can anyone shed any light?

While we're on the subject, by the Globe Theatre in the city, there's an Aston with the plate "2 BE" parked next to a nice looking Bentley with the plate "NOT 2B"

Now that's cool.