2 wheels and pedal power ...

MattyA

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yum :shades:

Why thank you! I've always wanted a dark coloured Kona, but could never justify or afford one, but i just had to have it when i saw the matt grey paint and now i pedal to work when its nice, so its all good! :)

I miss my Norco Torrent off roader and my Diamond Back framed street bike :( Pics to follow when I can be arsed to find my "backup" hard drive lol

Tons of pics lol

I was gona buy a Tomac Omen frame to replace the ol' Diamond Back frame, what with practically everything else on the bike being replaced for brand new good quality stuff, Especially after the loss of my norco :(

6d1.jpg

6d2.jpg

6d3.jpg

6d4.jpg

6n1.jpg

6n2.jpg

6n3.jpg

6n4.jpg

Edited by nfbr

LGG your C16 is beeeaaaaaautiful. Love the forks :wub:

I have recently taken delivery of an 08 Tarmac, Carbon Frame, post and forks, 10 speed Ultegra / 105 mix. Had some horrendous Shimano OEM wheelset on it which i quickly swapped for my Mavic Aksium training wheels which are sooo comfy in comparison! On the look out for something deep and carbon to race on. :coffee:

SNV86637.jpg

Please excuse my disco slippers.....

I have always had a fetish for old skool 80's Racing bike. Raleigh Banana, Record Sprint, Vitus 979, Bob Jackson, Peugeot, Wester Ross and my Kona Kikupu.

Bikes001-1.jpg

Bikes012.jpg

Westerside2.jpg

thats hwta i want the falcon to look like when i get some money! :P

love this :wub:

single speed it please :shades:

thats the plan for the falcon! planning to ride into central to work once ive finished uni!

So, in terms of hard tail MTB's, what companies are good nowadays?

I've had Marin's and GT's in the past, and I've been promising myself a new Kona for about 8 years now, but as I've been out of the bike loop for some time I've no idea who make good stuff now.

I've had a look at all the websites and to be honest I can't even find a colour I like, the Kona Cinder Cone is about the only one.

I still ride my bike occasionally, but its feeling a bit ropey, its got Rock Shox Quadra 21R's and they are in dire need of some sort of service. I would ride to work, but never feel safe around Dudley riding. When we move I'm planning on using the car far less and treating myself to a decent bike so I can ride everywhere instead.

What is light for a hard tail now? And what kind of money do you have to spend to get something reasonably light?

My friend has recently bought a Cotic - Soul

and I have to say it is a fantastic ride very responsive I'm 5ft10 and find the top tube just the right length so I can pop the front end for drops and things while freeriding but its not so short that I catch my knees when climbing

However its hard with mountain bikes because what suits one person will more than likely not suit another

for exmaple I'd rather run the Cotic - Simple as ride with single speed and use rigid forks basically because i love the low maintenance simplicity all i have to do is look after the brakes and bearings

Cotic only sell the frame so you can custom build the rest of the bike around the frame

Oldskool GT Dyno Compe with Mag wheels, YES mag wheels!! haha! they are unbelievable! If they bend, put them in the freezer and next day they are back to normal 100% strength!

Also, i share a specialized rockhopper with my brother, thats great fun on singletrack!

So, in terms of hard tail MTB's, what companies are good nowadays?

I've had Marin's and GT's in the past, and I've been promising myself a new Kona for about 8 years now, but as I've been out of the bike loop for some time I've no idea who make good stuff now.

I've had a look at all the websites and to be honest I can't even find a colour I like, the Kona Cinder Cone is about the only one.

I still ride my bike occasionally, but its feeling a bit ropey, its got Rock Shox Quadra 21R's and they are in dire need of some sort of service. I would ride to work, but never feel safe around Dudley riding. When we move I'm planning on using the car far less and treating myself to a decent bike so I can ride everywhere instead.

What is light for a hard tail now? And what kind of money do you have to spend to get something reasonably light?

Quadra 21's are sooo retro. I wouldn't look into getting them serviced, they won't preform anything near as well as even a budget modern suspension fork.

Giant, Scott, Specialized & Trek all make good hardtails to suit any wallet. Light I'd say would be under 25lb?? Obviously depends how much you spend.

DSCF1549.jpg

my 24seven slacker

was a replacement for my kona scab which i destroyed (bike + tree = HUGEEE dent)

its my toy...dirt, street and even send it downhill

Edited by Jay_whitt

my old collection-

dscf1095bb5.jpg

dscf1095bb5.fc20ebecd7.jpg

loved the cove but it got stolen in thetford :( so now have this-

18102006051lh5.jpg

18102006051lh5.6dd54c0615.jpg

the trek is now a singlespeed and the racer has a few ultegra parts. the giant has some pikes and a 205mm disk on the front. its really good all round bike now. uturn forks are brilliant wack the seat down wind the forks up and blast down a mountain :)

Rode the XC world champs course at Fort William this week, excellent, but hard!!

Have a lusting for a steel hard tail. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Just got this at the weekend. Upgrade from a 12 year old Saracen from Halfords!

DSC04971.jpg

Back at the shop having the front brake fixed already! Hope it's just a simple adjustment, only been out on it twice but absolutely love it!

I got one of these at the weekend.

zNbt5Oc276123QAJEfkmV0b3d07qWWEd.jpg

A scott scale 50. Its so light and easy to ride, I must use this more then my old bike!

My dad also got a Trek 9.7 Elite. Carbon fibre frame...Now that is light! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...