going to look at a cheap diesel, help?

Boi Ninja

hey guys and gals,

i've been posting in this section for a few days now hoping that i will find my arosa or lupo, just trying to read up on them etc.

I've had my eye on one before i sold my ibiza and its still for sale now, its a bit far like 200miles away and its a cheapish car its a 2000year 1.7SDi without colour coded bumpers and high mileage ...i like it because its a diesel and £35 tax a year appeals to me.

i know its not going to the quickest car but what problems can i look for in it, he said everything is nice about the car no clutch or gearbox problem etc just a dink in the bonnet and the drivers door makes a creek, ive only driven a 53plate 1litre lupo recently (...ive had 2 ibizas and a citroen AX in total.)

my brother asked me to look if the exhaust smokes, if the oil is topped up etc. apart from that im clueless about diesels, sorry if i sound like a newbie but in a way i am.

hey guys and gals,

i've been posting in this section for a few days now hoping that i will find my arosa or lupo, just trying to read up on them etc.

I've had my eye on one before i sold my ibiza and its still for sale now, its a bit far like 200miles away and its a cheapish car its a 2000year 1.7SDi without colour coded bumpers and high mileage ...i like it because its a diesel and £35 tax a year appeals to me.

i know its not going to the quickest car but what problems can i look for in it, he said everything is nice about the car no clutch or gearbox problem etc just a dink in the bonnet and the drivers door makes a creek, ive only driven a 53plate 1litre lupo recently (...ive had 2 ibizas and a citroen AX in total.)

my brother asked me to look if the exhaust smokes, if the oil is topped up etc. apart from that im clueless about diesels, sorry if i sound like a newbie but in a way i am.

I am not sure if the 2000 year Lupo SDI's qualify for the £35 tax band. If its the old tax regime it will be an over 1550cc car so that will cost about £180 a year. Be careful and check this out first. I think the new rating system dates from 2001 so look for Loops and Arosa's after that date.

I am not sure if the 2000 year Lupo SDI's qualify for the £35 tax band. If its the old tax regime it will be an over 1550cc car so that will cost about £180 a year. Be careful and check this out first. I think the new rating system dates from 2001 so look for Loops and Arosa's after that date.

oh crap ...i think your right mate. saved me going up 200miles you know. paying 180 for it is a bit high i think. i dont know what to do now :wacko:

yea, i have a 2000 sdi, its 180 quid for tax. The engines are pretty simple and reliable. just check the pedal box, make sure the clutch isnt sitting lower than the brake and not crunching etc in the gears.

Edited by deathhead

Post March 2001 - done on the CO2 banding system. so both SDI and TDI lupos after this point are £35 smile.gif

Rub it in there mate lol, i have to pay 180 :furious:

Edited by deathhead

Its not really fair is it ;)

Wouldnt it be a good idea if MOTs and tax happened at the same time. Then the MOT test centre could test the emissions of each individual car (as they do anyway) and that would depend on how much TAX you pay for your car.

That way, for example, every SDi & TDI would be £35.

And also people who dont service their car or have a badly running car have to pay more as they are polluting more.

Say someone owns a 2002 SDi Lupo so they pay £35 a year, although its never serviced and running very badly, so polluting more than normal, they still have to pay only £35 but they should be paying more for their dirty car!

It gives an incentive to the motorist to have and make sure their car runs cleanly.

just watch cause some of the cars that are £35 a YEAR to tax are free to tax every 6months

Can you explain this because it does sound like 6 months tax is the way to go?

just watch cause some of the cars that are £35 a YEAR to tax are free to tax every 6months :lol: how f*cking stupid is that !!!

yeh i just thought there wasnt a 6month tax option, lol.

i've given up on that sdi now, wouldnt want to pay £99 for 6months for that particular car (maybe on another arosa, just not that one)

thanks everyone..im still on the look out for a cheapish car, i love the lupos and arosas i just want one bad now, how sometimes i wish i was a 6 year old girl and i could cry to daddy to get it for me. grrr.

How much was it out of interest? As £180 a year tax seems a lot of money for what it is.

My TDI went through the MOT emissions soooo easily without a CAT.

Tester came out and said 'mmm...your emissions were so low we didn't get a reading' :)

Also the 6 month tax option is blanked out on the band B cars on the tax forms, so £35 a year is the only option.

Wouldn;t bother going to look at the Green arosa on auto trader with 95k on it. Went for test drive and it felt crap. wheel wobble abit, hasn't had serive in 25k.