Lupo GTI Engine Details...

Chris Dunderdale

I would be doubtful that they were genuine GTI's.

RAB

Martin works in a dealership...so I would say they probably were

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my gti has W chassis code. the engine has poland embossed on it, but wolfsburg is not in poland. what does this mean?

Engine built in Poland, car built (assembled) at Wolfsburg.

RAB

None GTIs were built in Brussels rather than Spain or do you meen GTIs?

I think you will find that all 3L's, GTI's and FSI's were built at Wolfsburg. They all shared the same lightweight body (thinner but stronger steel) and were so different to other Lupos, that when production of all other models moved to Brussels, 3L, GTI and FSI production continued at Wolfsburg. That's why production of the 3L and GTI continued until December 2005, when production of other variants ceased in June or July 2005. The FSI was a petrol 5L version of the 3L with an automated gearbox, trip computer etc. It was only sold in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I am not sure when production of the FSI ceased.

RAB

Edited by RAB

• 1 year later...

The original Engine (AVY) of my GTI is made in Poland.

My Race-Engine (AVY, tuned by Lehmann Motorentechnik from Liechtenstein) is made in Germany. Has anybody a german Engine in his GTI ??? is there a difference between the german and the polish Block ???

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If I purchase in *AVY* engine from a polo will the induction be cable operated as opposed to fly by wire then ?

Dec

Edited by Dec

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you look on the German Wikipedia, this also states that Lupo 3L's and GTi's were only built at Wolfsburg. If you have a B in your VIN it is likely not a genuine VIN. I originally got this information from the VW website but it's no longer there.

The reason was that the 3L's and Gti's (and FSi) shared a completely different body to the other Lupo's.

RAB

• 4 years later...
On 14 March 2008 at 2:54 PM, Tigz™ said:

The sump is different, and the engine top is not red but other than that its the same engine.

The gearbox is different, the Clutch on the Polo is cable operated and the linkages have also been changed.

The polo engine won't fit with the Lupo six speed box, bell ousting bolts don't line up 

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

The polo engine won't fit with the Lupo six speed box, bell ousting bolts don't line up 

Well bumped!

:roflmao:

2 hours ago, jon_273 said:

It might be a thread from 8 years ago, but Tigz's car probably still isn't on the road!

Will it ever be?

• 5 weeks later...

Good Morning everybody.

I have a guy in my country who says he can import cars. I want to see if he can bring in a Lupo GTI for me, but he requires a VIN / Chassis number.

Would anyone mind please inboxing me their VIN number to see if this guy is able to organize me one.

Thanks a lot! (Admin, I apologize if this is the incorrect topic to post on)

13 hours ago, 4Cough said:

Good Morning everybody.

I have a guy in my country who says he can import cars. I want to see if he can bring in a Lupo GTI for me, but he requires a VIN / Chassis number.

Would anyone mind please inboxing me their VIN number to see if this guy is able to organize me one.

Thanks a lot! (Admin, I apologize if this is the incorrect topic to post on)

You'd be better starting a fresh post ^_^

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2012 at 7:22 PM, RAB said:

If you look on the German Wikipedia, this also states that Lupo 3L's and GTi's were only built at Wolfsburg. If you have a B in your VIN it is likely not a genuine VIN. I originally got this information from the VW website but it's no longer there.

The reason was that the 3L's and Gti's (and FSi) shared a completely different body to the other Lupo's.

RAB

I'm sorry to bump this old thread but I've read it through and it's not entirely clear to me that there's a consensus about the GTIs with a B in their VIN not being genuine. Can someone offer additional proof? I also know a "B" Lupo and by all means looks genuine down to the tiniest details, but maybe I'm being fooled?

I'm pretty sure towards the end of Lupo production they switched the factory to Brussels. VW do this quite a lot so that they can fill their quotas of an old model but set the factory up for the new model. Also in some countries, they will still sell the old model for a number of years, for example, South Africa with the Citi Golf.

Lupo GTi's with a 'B' chassis number are still a genuine factory built GTI, just built in Brussels rather than Wolfsburg.

Edited by lupogtiboy