Lupo GTI Engine Details...

Chris Dunderdale

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

German Wikipedia clarifies the production issue. Production of the GTi was switched to Brussels in 2003 but the 3L was always built in Wolfsburg, up until the end of production in 2005. This probably had something to do with the 3L sharing only about 20% of parts with a 'standard' Lupo although it shared the body shell with the GTi and the FSi. The FSi was also never built in Brussels; production ceased in 2003.

RAB

It does beg the question about how a car maker switches the location of a production line or assembly plant. A production line is a very big, complex beast. And then you have to have all the components nearby ready to fit... Switching location to chnage final trim or wheels or final stuff yes, but the entire line??? I find it hard to believe.

They did the same with the 9N3 polo, the last versions of those were built in South Africa. In fact, the last versions of the Mk3 Golf, mainly GTI's were also built in South Africa.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Suspect VW has all the assembly lines set up with the same underpinnings or able to accept a VW standard so they can swap out everything out without excessive downtime. all the need to do is change out the parts bins and train the workers.

Nowt wrong with Brussels - quite partial to a bit of Moule et Frites - with lashings of mayo

How to make moules frites | Tesco Real Food

Mmm. 

I've long wondered about the differences between the various 1.6 twin cam vdub engines used in the Gti. I'm convinced the same basic lump was used in everything from Bora's, Mk4 Golfs various Seats and some Audis. I know the cam belt kits are the exact same across the range, the capacity is the same, so the only thing I can think of is the cam system (or profiles). Anyone? Just curious...

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Mmm. 

I've long wondered about the differences between the various 1.6 twin cam vdub engines used in the Gti. I'm convinced the same basic lump was used in everything from Bora's, Mk4 Golfs various Seats and some Audis. I know the cam belt kits are the exact same across the range, the capacity is the same, so the only thing I can think of is the cam system (or profiles). Anyone? Just curious...

I think most bog standard 16v in like the mk4 golf dont have VVC?

Maybe the heads are different also, ports and valve sizes?

Makes sense that it's cam related, but can't be a big difference as they use the same cam belt (and small cam belt) set. I think the 1.6 16V Bora had VVT. @Rich will know which other VAG cars had the same lump (besides the Polo)... @Rich ???

There is a fair difference in power though- like 110 compared to 125.

The engine is unique in that the block is different to a Polo GTI AVY engine, they have similarities as in the head is the same, VVC on the exhaust side, twin cambelt system, but the block is a different part number, hence the Lupo gearbox doesn't fit. The Lupo block only fits the Lupo, even the sump is different on the Polo. 

The gearbox is also unique to the Lupo, though it's a close relative of one used on a Touran iirc, and the Up GTI uses a newer version of the 02U 6 speed Lupo gearbox, even down to some of the internals being the same, though it's designated an 0DQ gearbox in the Up.