Chipped Arosa TDi ? ?

Primmy

Just got my 51 plate Arosa S TDi last week, managed to squeeze 320 miles out of the tank (although the needle was touching the last line on the dial) but wanted to find out if my car has been chipped at some time.

The reason I ask is that the pick up is great when the turbo cuts in and the acceleration is really surprising for such a small engine. It already has a performance filter (and looking underneath), a sports exhaust (not sure what make) but I am wondering if its been chipped and how can I find out?

Thanks

Ade

The only way you can tell is if you have it rolling roaded or drive one that hasnt been remapped or whatever. Although they do seem to vary quite a lot in their output. Some seem faster than others.

Although it may have one of those little tuning boxes on which gives about 15bhp so that would be pluged in somewhere between the ECU if you have a tuning box.

Remapped it should be quite quick indeed. I dont think they are bad as standard.

Thanks guys.

Just a bit worrying on the insurance side of things really as I did declare the airfilter as non-std, dont want to them to wriggle out of anything if it has been chipped and I am not/was not aware it had been done, etc.....

Ade

Going off how hard it would be to find out its very doubtful your insurance would find the chip, You should be more worried about the visit from the club lupo polics should you stuff it!

You should be more worried about the visit from the club lupo polics should you stuff it!

HA! highly unlikely I would say! This is my commuter car so hoping to get at least 60mpg out of it from now on....I leave all the hooning around for my weekend toy! :lol:

With regards to the chip its hard to detect as most companies encrypt their map data.

However like Cardaft says their nippy to begin with as most will punch out 80hp as standard.

However do you know where you purchased it from? Also ask DVLA for previous owners names and you could write to them to find out.

With regards to the chip its hard to detect as most companies encrypt their map data.

However like Cardaft says their nippy to begin with as most will punch out 80hp as standard.

However do you know where you purchased it from? Also ask DVLA for previous owners names and you could write to them to find out.

When I took mine to jabbasport it put out 76bhp which they told me was quite well up on standard...

At jabbasport most of the TDI's tend to get between 70bhp and 73bhp as standard, however the transmission loss seems to be low on them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Chirs you tdi is punchy, mine wasn't really anything like yours?!! Was abit better when I put some of your dads cleaner in! Get proper re-map and will be really nippy

Chirs you tdi is punchy, mine wasn't really anything like yours?!! Was abit better when I put some of your dads cleaner in! Get proper re-map and will be really nippy

:lol:

Yeah it does seem one of the quicker ones :D

Ive been in 4 TDis now and its noticably nipper than the others. Dont know why that should be though, but im not complaining ;)

Its been said that mine drives more like a petrol car rather than a diesel. It revs nice and freely, has power right across the rev range and its also one of the quieter ones. Its not like a typical diesel to drive, where as other TDis seem a typical diesel.

Its strange how the same cars can differ so much :wacko:

Id like to get it remapped one day, it seems it will be a good base car to get a good remap from. So hopefully it will happen some time!

Wonder if yours is re-map'd chris? Did you buy yours new? I know my brother just sold his Leon Cupra R to someone without telling them it had a Revo on it, and he was impressed so no one will actually ever know its on - lol

Edited by g-man85

Wonder if yours is re-map'd chris? Did you buy yours new? I know my brother just sold his Leon Cupra R to someone without telling them it had a Revo on it, and he was impressed so no one will actually ever know its on - lol

itds a good point.. thats why i got mine roaded, it did seem nippy. so if its like this now, imagine it with 30 more horses and 50 torque :)

bow down to the TDi massive ;)

No i didnt buy it new, although i dont think its quick enough to have been remapped anyhow.

It was a seat dealer demo car new, then someone owned it for about 8 months but did very few miles, and then it was owned by the people i bought it off, whi had it about 3 years i think. They didnt seem the people to remap it. It had only done 26K when i bought.

Chris bought a pre-ragged tdi too, remapped but the neons were removed before he bought it.

Mine dies at about 2k rpm lol :)

Haha :lol:

Mine revs all the way to 4,000 and even more, still pulling! Usually in a diesel its not worth reving it high as the torque is low down, but mine isnt like that :wacko: Although i dont often rev it that hard.

itds a good point.. thats why i got mine roaded, it did seem nippy. so if its like this now, imagine it with 30 more horses and 50 torque :)

bow down to the TDi massive ;)

Well when daryll had your TDi mine seemed to have more pull, and yours feels quick anyway.

What did you get on the rolling road? Ive forgot!

However if Chris does have a very good example of a TDI, he'll get the best from a custom map instead of a generic so they can utilise the most of having a perky engine.

Would be good to see his rolling roaded

Yes thats what i was thinking, means ill have to get a custom remap then! :lol:

I drove my mates lupo TDi a few weeks ago and thats totally different, it needs more press on the pedal to make it move, it doesnt have the urge that mine has, it seems to flatten out power wise at about 3Kish, its noisier and is diesel like. Its strange, they are so very similar yet so very different :huh:

Edited by cardaft

A lot of these guys reckon you'll jump from 75ps to about just over 100ps.

Some one done this, thought they was the smart guy and had a drag race with a standard petrol 16V Sport and got their arse handed to them. :lol:

Bear in mind the things that make a Sport a Sport.

1) Its 50kg lighter

2) Maximum BHP is at the end of its rev range...6,000rpm

3) No turbo lag...N/A

4) A lot of standard Sports have been rolling roaded at 105PS no modifications.

Now I can be sarcastic...

1) It has a chrome rear centred exhaust...nuff said. :bleh:

Although with an exhaust system and an induction kit you might be able to have a standard 16V Sport.

-Nick-

Edited by Niche

A generic map gives about 100 - 105 bhp for the TDi. A custom can give 110 and more if with induction, exhaust or whatever.

Arosa TDis are lighter than lupo TDis is seems, well in the brocuhre anyway.

TDi doesnt have much turbo lag, and when booting it from a stand still there inst any lag, as your in the power band already.

Id say a remapped TDi will have a sport easy, ive been in a sport its not that quick!

Thing is, with the TDi, it feels gutsy all the time, ive been driving a petrol car for the last 2 weeks which, on paper, is quicker than mine, it just doesnt seem it because its got no guts. Unlike my TDi where i just plant my foot at any time and it would be off! So for me thats better, it feels quick all the time, even though this 1.6 in driving is actually quicker, it just doesnt feel it. If you see what i mean.

Im a diesel convert :D no going backwards now ;)

If i do get a remap, you had better be ready for a bit of a drag! :lol: Only joking, i dont race, but it would be interesting to see, id put money on the TDI!

Edit: that sport vs TDi is a roumer, there is no actual proof, probably some pure petrol head wanting to put the diesel down!

You really need to try one (a good one) to see how comparable they are.

Edited by cardaft

Some one done this, thought they was the smart guy and had a drag race with a standard petrol 16V Sport and got their arse handed to them. :lol:

Now now Nick, Tigz doesn't need you to post on his behalf :rolleyes:

Now now Nick, Tigz doesn't need you to post on his behalf :rolleyes:

I know...unfortunately Tigz cant be expected to post on every single thread hence where I come in. :lol:

As I and Chris have discussed before it would be very interesting to see the difference. Chris remap now you stupid boy. :wacko:

I've been in a Focus TDi and that ran out of boost at about 105mph, it then carried on very slowly to about 110mph and gave up.

Diesel convert is something I plan to do in a years time. But I want to play with unleaded first. :)

-Nick-

Edited by Niche

The thing is people with re-map'd TDI's vary so much in torque and power delivery, that not every remap'd TDI will be passed back on the drag strip. nfbr's made 117hp, others make 105hp. So bit generalised to say that a remap'd tdi would get its arse handed back.

Also drag racing a TDI down the 1/4 mile has so many techniques. Some people belive short shifting to the higher gears works better, some red line all through the gears.....

Lets not forget driver themselves! You see plenty of youtube videos of various cars drag racing, like Pug 106's beating Clio 172's.

Edited by g-man85

Its not even that, tyre choice, how well they get heated up, weather conditions, petrol in petrol tank. So many things can change the out come.

Short shifting is generally a good idea but it all depends where your maximum torque delivery is.

Edited by Niche

chri i roaded at 78 standard. think first port of call is a generic map, ee where that get me. if im erious about power then il go cutom. nice debate here. but im a convert now :) need a turbo in my life!

Well i've been deciding on my next car.......was set on the idea of a high power n/a engine but have to go for a turbo application for the torque, can't be bothered with cars that are flat as a pancake in the low revs haha

chri i roaded at 78 standard. think first port of call is a generic map, ee where that get me. if im erious about power then il go cutom. nice debate here. but im a convert now :) need a turbo in my life!

Well When sleeky had it I think he did something to the air intake but before he did have a chip or somekind of re-map on it didn't he?

Thats pretty good standard then. B)

Well i've been deciding on my next car.......was set on the idea of a high power n/a engine but have to go for a turbo application for the torque, can't be bothered with cars that are flat as a pancake in the low revs haha

Yeah id never be without a turbo car now, non turbos feel so flat and gutless now. Need working really hard and wind up the engines before you get anywhere quickly!

Well When sleeky had it I think he did something to the air intake but before he did have a chip or somekind of re-map on it didn't he?

It used to have a tuning chip thing on. One of those you see on ebay, which plugs bewteen the Ecu. I think it gave it an extra 15bhp. Quite impressive really, when you would thing somehting like that wouldnt work!

I think the air intake was played around with a little, but it was back to standard when you had it i think.