Squeaky Boot

it is an internal sound and yes happens when i go over bumps, even the smalles bumps like cats eyes, if i put pressure on bootlid i can here it too, could it be that the lock mechanism needs tightening, seems that any slight movement of car makes it happen??? very irritating to say the least

Are they easy to change? My mums car has started squeaking when the weight of the car shifts back to the centre after taking a left hand corner :S

Mine is a different noise to that though, i think i probably need to replace my shockers.

But i dont really see the point atm since they are only knocking but the dampers are still fine.

Nope, A blow torch a good vice and a socket that fits the metal of the whisbone and one that goes inside that.

Clamp it in the vice with the two sockets either side, Then clamp it up bloody tight.... and then blowtorch it untill it catches fire.... the rubber will melt enough to pull it out.

As for the squeeking and knocking sounds. I had both and i found both of mine.

The squeeking was coming from the boot, not too sure where but i managed to solve it by adjusting the boot catch hook, I undid the torx bits holding it in, and moved it two notches inwards and tightened it up. The squeek dissapeared!

As for the knocking, Sounds like a plastic knocking? faint and then loud some times? Well mine turned out to be the plastic cover that sits around the rear damper ans is stuck to the bump stop. What had happened was the foam bump stop had slightly split, and the plactic cover was moving about knocking on the damper.. thus creating the worlds most annoying noise

John

Well i did think it was the bump stops given way and the cover was nocking the strut.

But ive replaced one recently and replaced the other ages ago - but thats gone again now and its started to split!

When i replaced the other recently i put some silicone round the inside of the cover, but it didnt stop the noise.

So i dont think its that.

I did get my shockers and bump stops and the coveres replaced under warranty on my other arosa, and the nock stopped.

So im thinking its shockers ....

I did try to adjust the boot, its soooo tight though! It was just rounding off the torex head :wacko:

i get the knocking noise in the rear too. gah it so so annoying. will have a good check now at the rear suspension/boot/bushes etc. i thought something wasnt tightened up right when i had my cup kit fitted. would be luxury to cure it.

• 3 years later...

Now that's a thread resurrection!

Try a bit of electrical tape round the boot catch hook. The grease that VW put of the lock mechanism has a tendency to soften the plastic that hooks round the loop making the whole boot rattle.

Now that's a thread resurrection!

Try a bit of electrical tape round the boot catch hook. The grease that VW put of the lock mechanism has a tendency to soften the plastic that hooks round the loop making the whole boot rattle.

You are a genius! Thanks Haha. So much better without that annoying squeak all the time! :)

• 1 year later...

The beauty of knowledgeable members, past threads and the search button.

My car developed this exact squeek this week, quite loud, and sounding worse than what it turned out to be. Followed the electric tape suggestion and voila squeek is no more.

Thank you.