Need buying advice lupo gti

jgaskham

Hi everyone I looked at a Lupo gti today that was cat d written off but has been repaired. All the repairs where done at vw garage and the seller has all the receipts to prove this. All the inside and body look perfect and it runs really well. The only thing wrong with it is 2 of the alloys are very scratched but i was planiing of getting new ones if i got it anyway. The back side window and the black strip on the door are scratched.

Its a 2003 with 55k miles i got them down to £4500 for it. What do you guys think is it worth getting and fixing up? Does anybody know how much it would for a new window and repair the black bit?

Edited by jgaskham

Make sure it's had it's cambelt changed as if it hasn't then they should knock off a bit more. This should be done at 40000 miles or 4 years and costs approx £300 at VW. Other than that if it looks good and is mechanically sound then why not? Though remember that the Cat D might put off buyers if you ever choose to sell it/trade it in (blasphamy I know!).

Sounds like an ok deal. Make sure you get a very good test drive, at higher speeds and low bumpy speeds as it can be hard to find faults otherwise. Also test everything, especially electrics as they could have made a mistake. I saw last week, that when the passenger door opened the flashers went off -weird!

Are you getting any guarantee period? Or is a private sale? How long ago was it repaired?

Its a private sale, they have full service history and it was repaired 3 months ago. I will ask about the cambelt change, I didnt think it would have needed to be done at that low mileage thought it would be about 60k. The black bit i meant was the vertical pillar on the door, anyone know if this is a easy repair. I'm gonna have another good look at it and remember to play with all the electrics

Edited by jgaskham

They need the cambelt doing every 4 years/40k miles. Make sure the xenon headlamps work, also the headlight washer jets too (the xenons have to be on for the washers to operate)

i went for another look at the car and i had a proper play with everything. the electric windows on both sides where very tempremental, is this a common thing and easy to fix? I also noticed the rear tyres need replacing soon as really, what the average price for some decent ones? Sorry for all the questions, I was gonna offer him 4k, what do you think?

i would push for less to be honest (£3.5k- then maybe go upto £3800) , sounds like it has a few niggles to get sorted. Not too sure about the windows but someone will have more info.

check out mytyres for tyre prices but i would have though £50- £60 each for good ones

My passenger window can stick a little, then go back down instead of up at about halfway. Happened about 3-4 times. Not a major problem though. Until it gets stuck down. At night. In the rain.....

Tyres, if you stick to 205's, are £55 each for Toyos, or from £75-80+ for Dunlops (though these are s***e), bought online from mytyre.com

Edited by renandstimpey

Hi everyone I looked at a Lupo gti today that was cat d written off but has been repaired. All the repairs where done at vw garage and the seller has all the receipts to prove this. All the inside and body look perfect and it runs really well. The only thing wrong with it is 2 of the alloys are very scratched but i was planiing of getting new ones if i got it anyway. The back side window and the black strip on the door are scratched.

Its a 2003 with 55k miles i got them down to £4500 for it. What do you guys think is it worth getting and fixing up? Does anybody know how much it would for a new window and repair the black bit?

Even with that sort of damage and mileage, Its still a pretty good price.

What spec is it? A/C? leather? 5/6 speed? elec sunroof? side airbags?

The alloys will cost you about £40-80 a wheel depending on the damage. Tyres wont cost you too much, toyo R1 proxies are the better ones, and are cheaper. about 50-60 a corner you can notmally find them for.

As someones already said, check the tyre wear, and if your worried, get the alignment checked. Merit have a free online discount voucher for a tracking check. free_wheelalign.gif

form.gif

http://www.merityre.co.uk/free_vouchers.htm

Other than that, where was the damage? and if it was done at VW, they have to carry out approved repair schemes, it will have been done well.

John

Edited by Casper1496

i went for another look at the car and i had a proper play with everything. the electric windows on both sides where very tempremental, is this a common thing and easy to fix? I also noticed the rear tyres need replacing soon as really, what the average price for some decent ones? Sorry for all the questions, I was gonna offer him 4k, what do you think?

I knew that there would probably be an electrical issue, but that plus the tyres gives you great bargaining power, if you get it for £3800 you'll be doing good, but remember in future sales you'll be selling a former Cat D.

My advice BUY IT! and best of luck with it