nice new toyo tyres 2008

Dark

R1R.jpg

due out soon. this tyre looks to be the business. a variant on the popular toyo R888, but for more general use.

i have R888 fitted to my gti at the moment and though they are great tyres. they just dont get hot enough in winter even with very hard driving. on the warm sunny days i have driven on them they are truly amazing. there are softer versions of the R888 but they would only last a few months of road use anyway.so neither are for all year round use really. now this new R1R will sort that, revised compound, includes more wet weather tread pattern, ( the r888 are scary in anything more than 1mm of road surface water). will definately give these a go. looks like the ultimate all round road tyre.

also i hope the R1R are quieter, the road noise of the r888 is louder than the engine/exhaust of the gti, it sounds like you are constantly driving over cats eyes.

i know the question will be asked so no there is no 205/45/15. 195/50/15 is the closest gti size, which is perfect as it happens.

Edited by omglagger

gti is 6.5" standard . i have OZ ultralegerra which are 7" and R888 with 195/50/15 with 30mm drop and even going hard over speed humps i get no rubbing there is plenty of clearance under the arches. i may try the 205/50/15 i havent decided yet, i dont think they will rub.

• 1 month later...

the standard GG compound R888 with fun usage in the gti will last me nearly 7,000 miles. and thats by swapping the fronts and rears to make sure they wear out at the same time for all 4. thats without being on a track day, but i do have lots of fun roads where i live. i will kill them soon by finishing them off at castle combe next month. you can get SG R888 aswell they are even softer, they must be awesome.

R888 are very temperature sensitive, they are pretty useless at low temps, they need warming up for them to give up the grip. i'm not suggesting tyre blankets though!

these new tyres from toyo look a lot better choice, and i will go for them. R888 get too cold for winter/colder seasons.

Edited by Dark

Its difficult to say how long they will last, it goes on a lot of things, your driving style, set up of your car, what kind of driving yuo do (motorway, B roads etc) How often you check your pressures etc.

Although toyos ae known for quick wear rates.

Probably too new to tell really?

Edited by cardaft