Paint defects - 12 yr warranty info

Took my lupo in for a service at the main dealer last week and questioned a bubbling line of paint on the roof gutter.

The bodyshop said they would look into it but were pretty sure that fold lines (which the gutter is) were not covered under warranty.

It turns out that as of january this year, VW changed the policy and paint defects on fold lines are now included in the 12 year warranty.

I am waiting at the moment as the bodyshop are getting the details for me and hopefully booking mine in soon.

Might be useful info for someone out there?

Adrian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What on earth do they make VWs of these days, old ford fiestas! :confused:

Im not impressed they have changed their warranty on rusting fold lines, VW must have had too many people claiming on their warranty.

Our 2003 caravelle has some bubbling on the fold lines near the windscreen, we keep forgetting to take it in but thats not good news if they have changed their policy. What total rubbish VW is :angry2:

We will go and have an argue with the local VW dealer then.

We had other rust issues with it, they said their warranty only covers is ifs rusting from the inside out, so really you need a hole for them to pay for it!

Luckily we argued enough and they did pay half of the repairs.

We have never ever had rust on such a new car, the first rust problems was when it was only 3.5 - 4 years old.

I know it is infact a commercial vehicle but still not what you expect. Especially considering our model was £30K new.

In not impressed :huh: Rust is a thing of old fords and rovers, not newer VWs!

Thenkfully my seats are rust free, will be murder to pay if they start to bubble!

What on earth do they make VWs of these days, old ford fiestas! :confused:

Im not impressed they have changed their warranty on rusting fold lines, VW must have had too many people claiming on their warranty.

Our 2003 caravelle has some bubbling on the fold lines near the windscreen, we keep forgetting to take it in but thats not good news if they have changed their policy. What total rubbish VW is :angry2:

We will go and have an argue with the local VW dealer then.

We had other rust issues with it, they said their warranty only covers is ifs rusting from the inside out, so really you need a hole for them to pay for it!

Luckily we argued enough and they did pay half of the repairs.

We have never ever had rust on such a new car, the first rust problems was when it was only 3.5 - 4 years old.

I know it is infact a commercial vehicle but still not what you expect. Especially considering our model was £30K new.

In not impressed :huh: Rust is a thing of old fords and rovers, not newer VWs!

Thenkfully my seats are rust free, will be murder to pay if they start to bubble!

?????

fold defects are now INCLUDED in the warranty lol.

?????

fold defects are now INCLUDED in the warranty lol.

Haha, that will teach me to read a bit more closely :lol::doh:

Still though the rest of what i said is still right, why on earth do they first in the rust place!

Edit: i was tired stop taking the mick :blush:

Edited by cardaft

That's great news! Mine is doing it in two places on the drivers side rain gutter. I took it to two different VW dealers when I got the car a couple of years ago and was basically told to bolt!!! But the Loop's in at VW for its service on Ssturday so I will certainly be mentioning it. Thanks.

Still though the rest of what i said is still right, why on earth do they rust in the rust place!

Why do they rust in the rust place? Well I imagine it's the most convinent place for rust to go. Or something. :P

What about paint bubbling on spoilers?

This is caused by "water ingress" and not covered under the 12 year warranty apparently. Also it's not corrosion. And, but, if, yeah but no but etc etc.

Still though the rest of what i said is still right, why on earth do they first in the rust place!

Edit: i was tired stop taking the mick :blush:

Still tired, Chris?

:lol:

took mine in 2 weeks ago its booked in for 18th of feb to have roof etc resprayed free of charge, only cost to me is courtesy car but im not moaning about that because im getting over £500 quids worth of work done for nowt!!!

Me wife's 8 year old 1.4s developed rust on gutter line both sides, which VW have just paid to be repaired under warrenty. Whilst disappointed a VW does rust at least VW's warrenty is good. Wonder how many other brands would pay up.

My 1999 1.0e has rust blebs all along the drivers side guttering ,took it to my local dealers (Newbolds,mansfield) last week and its going in today to be done FOC and i'm getting a courtesy car too!

I went in expecting to have a long debate with someone so i prepared myself with every bit of info i could find

to back my claim up but found it unessasary as the chap was sound with it all. Its got to be worth going to the dealers as in most cases i dont think they have any reason to refuse you. :rolleyes:

I am glad everyone is getting some use from this.

I think the response from dealers will be similar to the pedal box issue. Those that genuinely value their customers will take time to sort the problem. Those that are more concerned with making maximum profit will try to fob you off as any "warranty" jobs aren't as profitable to them service/repair job.

Incidentally I didn't question mine in the service department. I went straight to the bodyshop who seemed a little more friendly and forthcoming.

The service department tried to do me out of £640 for a new CAT claiming that mine was dangerous as it was sercured by jubilee clips.

"Indeed it is secured like that" I said, "Due to the poor quality welding on the brackets and this repair was carried out by a VW main dealer 18 months ago"

Suddenly the term "dangerous" dropped out of the service womens patter. I then asked her how my rear bump stops were

"Fine sir, why do you ask?"

"Well 6 months ago another main dealer condemed them and tried to charge me £180 to replace them"

"Oh !" - She said

These were the very same bumps stops that I checked once I got home from that service and they were not corroded in the slightest. It went through its MOT 8 months later and I specifically asked about their condition then. They were fine.

I don't trust service departments in the slightest.

Adrian

Good news on the rust.

I've only heard of Fiat's warrenty, which is 'anti-perforation', and apparently you have to wait for it to rust a hole right through the metal before they'll fix it under warrenty. :blink:

The guy in know in the service dept gave me the number of the paint shop manager as he will not be working when my car is in for its service on Saturday. He took all the details and is putting the claim through without even seeing the car!!! Result!

I have bubbling all along my roof rack rails

Just heard today mine has been approved and is going in to VW next week.

Just for reference out of all the VW dealerships I have experienced in the last few years I can recommend the Bodyshop at VW Daybrook Nottingham (very helpful guys) and also VW Solihull for good customer service.

I won't go into the list of dealerships or departments I wouldn't recommend though...

Adrian

I've got two rust spots (one on either of the pillars at either side of the windscreen). I presume they are effectively stone chips that haven't been treated by the previous owner and have started to rust. Would this qualify for warranty cover? If not, what should I do with them?

was meant to collect my car today after having its rust sorted. got a phone call from warranties dept at my local dealer who arranged for my roof work to be carried out saying they needed to keep the car for one more day to make sure the paint didnt run, how stupid do they think their customers are!!

thinking this was a realy dumb excuse i drove up to body shop where the work is being carried out and the roof and gutters were prept but not painted.

why do these people feel the need to lie to a customer?? i would have been a lot more understanding if they had just been honest with me!!

i am extremely dissapointed as i thought vw were more customer friendly than this. how wrong could i be.