Petrol Arosa owners MPG

whassigo

The 1.4 auto is possibly the worst engine for economy, book figures for urban driving in the 1.4 auto is 28MPG, so your pretty much there!

That is actually 2MPG lower than the sport and 8 MPG lower than the 1.0 - around town.

My 1.0 gets 40MPG around town - the the occasional longer run, sometimes 38 if its very cold, you always get less in the winter.

The 1.4 auto is possibly the worst engine for economy, book figures for urban driving in the 1.4 auto is 28MPG, so your pretty much there!

Thanks for that - reassuring to know.. and glad the car only does 5-6k a year! My mate is finding this all very hilarious as he gets 29 out of his Golf VR6.

Cheers,

Stu

My 1.0 does about 3-4K a year, and is used daily!

Short trips does them no good, so i always make sure it has a long run every now and again.

Our 2.0 auto car gets around 20mpg round town, so think your self lucky :lol:

I asume the VR6 isnt all town mileage though?

My 1.0 does about 3-4K a year, and is used daily!

Short trips does them no good, so i always make sure it has a long run every now and again.

Our 2.0 auto car gets around 20mpg round town, so think your self lucky :lol:

I asume the VR6 isnt all town mileage though?

Quite right - VR6 is a mixture of m-ways and town.

I do give ours a few long trips every now and then too.

Cheers,

Stu

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I've just bought a 1.0 Arosa, as a cheaper way of getting to work (I was using my V5 Golf before). I find a full tank gets me to work and back exactly 3 times, which is 330 miles. Admittedly I pretty much sit at 60mph there and back though.

Im usually totally hopeless at getting good MPG, i rarely think about it when im driving, so i just drive how ever and get rubbish economy :lol:

My 1.0 ussually does 38-40 mpg, mostly town work though. Out of town and town driving is usually around 44 without trying.

Edited by cardaft

Yes thats what i worked out, 48.5 MPG, which is excellent from a petrol. Is yours a 1.0?

To work out your MPG, you need to divide the number or litres you have used by 4.54 to give you gallons.

Then when you have the gallons you divide the miles by the gallons and that gives you your MPG

So you did: £25/88.9p = 28.21 Litres

28.12 Litres / 4.54 = 6.19 Gallons

300 Miles / 6.19 Gallons = 48.46 MPG

:)

• 10 years later...
20 hours ago, WipeOut said:

I get about 21mpg but that's with straight through scorpion exhaust with scorpion decat 

Absolutely shite on fuel no matter how I drive but where I live it's nothing but dual carriage ways and roundabouts

20190808_125045.jpg

get a diesel

5 hours ago, weslangdon said:

get a diesel

I'll second that, but go for the 4 pot as on the 3 pot, apparently the balance shaft chain can snap. Unless you know that the chain tensioner has been renewed in the last 50k miles.

I've had 3, currently have two, both over 170,000 miles, no issues other than brakes, tyres & reasonable wear and tear. Needed gearbox rebuild on my Arosa at 140k, & now a slave cylinder. Remapped the Arosa so I'm keeping it.

I had a 1.7sdi for a short while too, wasn't impressed, slow and poor brakes, quite smelly too, pollution wise. I'd chose the TDi over the 100 bhp petrol model too, on these only the brakes are better

2 hours ago, weslangdon said:

I've had 3, currently have two, both over 170,000 miles, no issues other than brakes, tyres & reasonable wear and tear. Needed gearbox rebuild on my Arosa at 140k, & now a slave cylinder. Remapped the Arosa so I'm keeping it.

I had a 1.7sdi for a short while too, wasn't impressed, slow and poor brakes, quite smelly too, pollution wise. I'd chose the TDi over the 100 bhp petrol model too, on these only the brakes are better

Hey I love my dirty diesel 

• Like 1

The Lupo/Arosa TDi is Euro 3 but the identical engine in a 2007 Polo 1.4 TDi is Euro 4 compliant, I'd guess our cars are probably Euro 4 but we're never tested to that standard at the time they were assessed. So innately cleaner than the smelly SDi.

One of my SDIs tests at 0.3 smoke level on emissions.... better than many brand new diesels! The wierd thing is that if you look on the compliance plate/sticker in the engine bay, it says 0.7 is the limit. UK MOT tests the level to 1.5 I think (or is it 2.5 smoke?), but they are "meant to" test to the compliance plate limit- if visible. NOX still isn't part of testing, but I'll be very interested to see what levels our diesels chuck out when/if it ever comes in. EGR is disabled on all mine (and gas flowed/ported), so technically NOX should be quite high when the engine is cold. But in the current MOT, they only check exhaust gases when the engine is hot, so I can't imagine the test ever failing. But what do I know about this nonsense... (not much).

There is something called a "blue angel" cat that you can fit to an SDI, which apparently brings down emissions to almost clean air (other than the CO2).

• Like 1