Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

I love all my apple kit, but I just don't get the point of the air. Its really restricted in what it can do, its not got a replaceable battery, its got 1 USB port and if you want to connect to a wired network, which is all that I allow in the office, then, crap you are just out of luck when you want to plug in your usb key.

I have a couple of macbooks at home and wouldn't part with them (except for an upgrade to the same "style" of machine)

The 13.3" screen is just the right size and resolution for me and the overall size of the laptop is great.

My work is getting me a macbook pro as I do oncall and am going to use it as a desktop replacement, but I am seriously thinking about asking them to get a macbook instead and give me the extra cash!

does anyone really care how thin their laptop is??? I've got a massive HP nw9440 at the moment, if it was an inch bigger in every direction it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as it's got the spec i want from the hardware and a big screen. If size is the issue you'd go for a tablet pc or palmtop?

I, amazingly, agree. Like Joe, at the time it was more important that the laptop I buy be a desk top replacement fully functioning laptop. I suppose if someone is really worried about the weight this might be a good option.

As I said, I think this is a second computer for people with plenty of money. Someone on a budget is going to go super cheap, like an Asus, or spend a little more (but much less than the Air) and get a MacBook.

• 4 months later...

Today, iPhone 3G released, along with AppStore, and MobileMe, the replacement to .Mac.

Some fantastic games and apps coming to the iPhone.

MobileMe is a huge improvement over .Mac and could even be consideredb many companies to replace their current Exchange server setups. I know I will be pushing this as an alternative to my employers.

The only thing I've found as a problem with the previous .Mac service, Particularly for UK users is that its nowhere near as fast as other equivilent services from other providers. E-mails take a fair while to download (even small ones), Updating your online gallery seems to take forever...

Hopefully MobileMe will prompt them to upgrade the servers for UK use to make it a more pleasent experience!

Loving the Idea of the new iPhone, although I'm not so certain I'd bother until they bring out a 32gb version.

The onboard GPS seems like a smart addition to the package,

Edited by awesome_al

Replacements for existing customer on O2 have been released aswell. Existing customers will be able to get the phone on July 11th, without breaking contract.

Bad news for new customers is you won't be getting your iPhones till October 11th so Apple can meet demand.

As I said in the phone specific thread, a great upgrade. Hope it pushes sales, and after a year of hype it makes excellent business sense to cut the price so suddenly people find a premium product more affordable.

MobileMe is very important, being a long time existing .Mac subscriber. Still working through the material on it, essentially the push email is very exciting, am I right in thinking Joe/Jon that email just gets to me without me having to set the phone to constantly be checking for email every 15/30/60 mins? Is that correct?

Thats correct. Push services literally 'push' the email/event/contact to all devices. be it iPhone, mac, PC. Also the ability to do everything through me.com is another nice feature. A definate rival to Exchange in the making, although its got a lot of people to convince first.

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of making a new topic i thought i would add to this one...

Basically i would like to purchase an ipod, i think 8gb will probably keep me quiet, i may have more songs on my itunes, but it needs to be small-ish in size as i will be using it in the car, at the gym, when running and on my bike.

Therefore i have narrowed it down to either a Nano or a Touch. Are the Touch's worth the extra cash? Are they durable?(The screen)

And finally, the most important question seen as this IS the Apple geeks thread,

Are Apple releasing any updated versions of the current ipods in the near future? As i don't want to buy one now and then next month find they are releasing a 16gb Nano for 20 quid more.

Thanks for any feedback!

ipods traditionally get updated in the autumn so not a good time to buy one.

the nano is supposed to be towards the end of its cycle, even though it's not that old (the fat nano model)

no one seems able to work out the business case for the touch now that the 3g iphone is so cheap.

iPod upgrade cycle is, as dxg said, late summer/autumn time, so personally unless you needed it right this moment I'd wait.

While I like the touch, I also can't quite get it, so I'd either have the Nano or an iPhone, or both depending on your needs.

Cheers for your input lads, i will wait and see what Apple introduce when the new ipods come out, and then purchase one then. I don't think i will go for the Touch though, as you say, i might aswell have an iphone.

Also, if they were to release a new one in the Autumn, would they release a facelift model before next Autumn? I'm not too fussed about colours as i'd either go for a white one or black, which will probably be available at the launch.

OK.

My complaints.

I dont mind not having MMS, but why does the o2 website for viewing any incoming messages so full of data?

Facebook has numous iphone friendly skins.

Why cant you get it right o2?

I may keep adding, theres other annoyances.

Unable to save images, unable to copy and paste etc etc but I can live with them.

Also, if they were to release a new one in the Autumn, would they release a facelift model before next Autumn?

Mrs Smith is booked to go on holiday this summer.

She wants to buy an iPod for the trip.

She doesnt care if the new one will be out at the end of summer, she'll buy one now and the geeks will buy the replacments after summer... just covering there bases.

OK.

My complaints.

I dont mind not having MMS, but why does the o2 website for viewing any incoming messages so full of data?

Facebook has numous iphone friendly skins.

Why cant you get it right o2?

I may keep adding, theres other annoyances.

Unable to save images, unable to copy and paste etc etc but I can live with them.

Do you actually have one???

I'm thinking of getting one now as I'm on pay as you go and O2 are going to be making it available through that avenue (£300 for 8gb; £370 for £16), so I'd like to aware of any problems before taking the plunge. I know 02 are notorious for ripping features from other phones.

I have one yes.

Does the pay as you go version have free internet?

Most of the features of the iPhone are internet based, so unless it is I wouldn't bother.

I believe you get it free for 6 months then it's £10 per month afterwards. This is one aspect I need to look into...

I assume you can still get access through a wifi spot completely independent of the O2 network - if you can't do that, then it won't meet my needs...

I really like the ideal of Apple's MobileMe service, but have to look into the costs of that... Push email and diary would be very helpful in my role.