Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

I was also disappointed. Where's the fabled pda/tablet (with a multi-touch screen)? The air just seems like a further progression of a non-innovative idea. The only new idea I can see is the move to entirely wireless.

Plus, what's the betting that the ATV2 doesn't do movies in the UK? And why isn't there a price drop in the UK?

Edited by dxg

I will post my thoughts later, it was an interesting set of announcements.

Would make time machine a much more useful feature, but then again - I doubt I'd ever use it, its more geared up for the professional apple user, rather than someone who uses it for net / mail / photos etc.

I think the rational is that its more geared up for the sort of person who doesn't normally do regular backup's, IE just the sort of person who really needs something like Time machine.

For me Time Machine was and still is one of the best things about 10.5, backup has been within OSX for ages but the new TM way is much more effective and far for usable.

I wish they'd change, well, something.

I'm sure the job offer of product planner is in the post for you, with insights like that you will go far. :) I'm not picking on you because of your anti Apple stance (far from it, I enjoy healthy and reasoned debate as it is the key to developing better products) but as you are still someone who asked for help with some sort of school project on here because you couldn't be arsed doing the work yourself I ignore 90% of what you say.

Plus, what's the betting that the ATV2 doesn't do movies in the UK? And why isn't there a price drop in the UK?

There was no mention of n ATV2... Its an updated firmware for the Apple TV which allows the use of Quicktime movies on the it thus meaning you wan sync/stream the rented movies from your iTunes library.

but as you are still someone who asked for help with some sort of school project on here because you couldn't be arsed doing the work yourself I ignore 90% of what you say.

I actually finished that project myself thanks all the same. I was simply asking for ideas if you read my post.

And still, just because of that, that means I'm not entitled to an opinion on Apple products?

I actually finished that project myself thanks all the same. I was simply asking for ideas if you read my post.

And still, just because of that, that means I'm not entitled to an opinion on Apple products?

You are entitled to an opinion, but you're not necessarily entitled to voice it in an apple thread which is title 'for apple geeks' -of which you're clearly not. If you don't like it, sod off, i sure as hell know that most of us don't care where you go. Further to that, if you are fed up with Apple's lack of truly amazing products, then i'd like to see you come up with something that was truly amazing and then design and build it :rolleyes:

I've actually got something to say on the whole set of announcements from yesterday, but I guess I'd better do some house keeping with the argument I started. :)

No no, far from it, if you had in turn read what I said you would see that I was merely saying I would ignore you. I'm sorry this had to come up in this particular thread, it could have come up in any thread, it just so happens to have been this one because I don't post all that much anymore. You are more than entitled to your opinion, do keep posting the various nonsense you do, you are more than entitled to do that and I'm more than entitled to think its garbage.

e70_tot8.jpg

Now what mother ****er! LOL Very good.

Hell, don't take it out on me just because your "amazing" company didn't impress you.

The point I was trying to make with your original post was that it contained nothing but the internet equivalent of 'meh', you had nothing to add, not even comedy like Crusoe or any reasoned criticism, so its no surprise that you are generally ignored. But carry on.

See, now I haven't got time to make any useful points as I've got to go do some work, will be back later. One thing before I do, £600+ for the 64GB SSD drive option, can we all do an ET style ouuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccchhhhh.

Why does every Apple related thread end in a slagfest :P.

In all fairness it was me to poked the troll this time. I hold my hands up!

On the iPhone software update. Finally, multiple text recipients for SMS's, that really, really should have been in the first revision. Some nice little tweaks, a little harsh they are making iPod Touch users pay for the application upgrades I guess, especially as they aren't technically new apps, just existing ones from the iPhone's set.

Yeah bit harse. Something to do with the license the iPod is sold with.

The locate me function on maps is good. Found me at work perfectly, not so good at home though

Looks good Jon... You as busy as me at work then ;)

Edited by Joe

i have a touch and although i can see the update on itunes there is nowhere to actually purchase it. is it only released in USA so far or something?

i have a touch and although i can see the update on itunes there is nowhere to actually purchase it. is it only released in USA so far or something?

You get it through the iTunes store itself. Theres a link that will open the relevant page in the iTS itself on this page.

£12.99 for UK users.

I think it's fair - iPod Touch people aren't tied into a contract, so they should have to pay for major updates. Seeing as the iPhone is subscription-based I don't think they could get away with charging again for a software upgrade.

How did you guess :)

Yeah, I see your point. They aren't updates to existing apps, they are brand new apps to the device themselves, I suppose its just like all Apple software updates you pay out for every fresh version but not for the dozens of updates you get over its life-cycle.

Right, my thoughts. :)

MacBook Air. Well, as usual, top notch industrial design. I love the fact that Apples design led rebirth that began ten years ago this year was led by a Brit, we have fantastic industrial design talent in the UK and he has put us on the map. These pics below are the only non-Apple shots I can find, we'll have to wait until magazines get test units and customers get their machines before we can get decent close up shots, but these are pretty good...

macbookair-livelg1.jpg

macbookair-livelg5.jpg

macbookair-livelg3.jpg

I love the MacBook style keyboard (with backlighting too), I have the wireless Apple keyboard which uses the same key design and I much prefer it to the keyboard on the MacBook Pro, so going with the new style on the MacBook Air is a good move imho. It certainly looks very thin and light, but in terms of surface area its going to be the same as a MacBook.

Price is, well, interesting to say the least. £1119 for the 1.6GHz with the 80GB drive, that doesn't seem too bad when you look at what else is out there in this segment. However, it seems expensive feature for feature when compared with the MacBook below it and MacBook Pro above. The 64GB SSD is a pretty costly option too.

I guess you have to think of it in terms of it being a second machine, I don't think all that many people are going to buy one of these as their main computer, it suits someone with a family desktop already so that HD space and the hassle of not having an optical drive isn't an issue.

What worries me is what happened with the G4 Cube (for those not up with your product history the G4 Cube was a small desktop machine which was significantly more expensive than the G4 Powermac towers of the time, it had a narrow market, coupled with the fact it arrived just in time for the dot.com bust), although I don't think this situation is the same as such. People were unwilling in that case to spunk a shed load of money for a slightly compromised desktop whereas people often do with laptops.

I would have had one had I not already got my MacBook Pro, now we have a full size 24inch iMac as our main home machine it is somewhat overkill for what I need. I still love it, but had I known when I bought it that our old Dell was going to break and we'd be replacing that with a new Mac I think I might have waited for this MacBook Air.

Overall I like the the design then, but I'm reluctant to say it'll be a hit, it could turn out to be bad timing with lower consumer confidence in the US, people might slow down on buying cool looking gadgets and go with Apples more practical offerings, especially as a bog standard MacBook is hardly a massive machine.

On the other things, I am perhaps most impressed with Time Capsule, that is something I'm getting. I'm a big fan of Time Machine (it just works and encourages people who wouldn't normally back up things into backing up things) and I currently use 500GB drives hooked upto each machine, this gadget makes that process much neater. It was a bit of a low key announcement, and the price isn't too bad either.

I'll save the Apple TV thoughts for another time. :)

Apple Crapple, Windows Bimbos.

What you all need is one of these babies...

big_a1.jpg

£230 and runs on some Linux based mumbo jumbo. I used one yesterday and thought, what more do you want if you're out and about? It's not so precious if you lose it or drop it. Apparently it's launch sufficiently spooked Gates into developing some OS of his own for it. It's a piece of the proverbial to use too.

Yeah, those Asus's are impressive gadgets, for that kind of price they are fantastic. I would prefer the screen to fill the available area, which I gather they are going to do on future revisions.

At this price they become suitable for everyday school use and as you say, occasions where you would normally worry about lugging a grands worth of laptop around. I like em.

Good comparison there.

I think the media are looking for blurred glasses though.

They shouldn't really be compared as like for like I don't think. One is a desktop replacement, and one is an ultra portable machine for working on the move.

does anyone really care how thin their laptop is??? I've got a massive HP nw9440 at the moment, if it was an inch bigger in every direction it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as it's got the spec i want from the hardware and a big screen. If size is the issue you'd go for a tablet pc or palmtop?

Exactly.

I went for a MBP as it was the fastest, highest spec mac I could get that wasn't a desktop.

If however I needed something to carry around all day everyday, and be able to use it while holding it with one hand, then maybe the MB Air would be a useful investment.

I do think the price will decline rapidly over the next 12-18months, as more and more manufacturers produce these ultra portable devices.