Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Yeah, i was looking at White 32GB :P

Could sell on i suppose and buy a 4g, that way, in 18 months when the (short) contract ends, you'll be able to get the one AFTER the 4g.

I like it ;)

I know it's old tech, but I scored a second hand (which turned out to be brand new!!) airport express on ebay the other day.

After a lot of hassle getting the wireless connection to work, I've now got perfectly synchronized music in the kitchen and the lounge. Sod the using it as a wireless bridge, it's well worth the £50 (ebay price) for just the speaker functionality.

Not "it just works" but well worth it!! (Now I need another for upstairs, and maybe another for the garage!!!)

I know it's old tech, but I scored a second hand (which turned out to be brand new!!) airport express on ebay the other day.

After a lot of hassle getting the wireless connection to work, I've now got perfectly synchronized music in the kitchen and the lounge. Sod the using it as a wireless bridge, it's well worth the £50 (ebay price) for just the speaker functionality.

Not "it just works" but well worth it!! (Now I need another for upstairs, and maybe another for the garage!!!)

Agree 100%. Airport and Airtunes is genius. Download 'Airfoil' to get it to work with all applications on a Mac...

apple purchases this week...

16gb iphone 3gs on orange, but jailbroken and using it on vodafone too

elgato eye tv dtt

uber happy with both, the picture from the eyetv is way better quality than my sky or freeview boxes.

Edited by Adam K

quick question, today my phones battery has been crap charged it overnight an hardly touched it today said usage was like under 2 hours an was at 5%,

anyone got any ideas also when pressing the home button thingy wasnt coming up to unlock, just turned it off for abit see if it helps,

cheers

rick

I wouldn't know what a "torrent" was myself, but if I were to use them I'd probably use Transmission and register on www.mac-torrents.com

:rolleyes:

haha nice one wink.gif

Apple had their famous 'Black Friday' sale yesterday so I took a trip into Manchester and bagged myself a copy of iWork 09 for £44. Not bad compared to the normal RRP of £69.

Also picked up an 8gb iPod Touch earlier in the week but managed to get it for £119 (refurb).

I was very surprised how quickly iWork installed, I can only imagine Word/Excel/Powerpoint would be a chore. iWork was on in 5 mins with just a couple of clicks!

Now I realise that I don't need it :lol:

Apple had their famous 'Black Friday' sale yesterday so I took a trip into Manchester and bagged myself a copy of iWork 09 for £44. Not bad compared to the normal RRP of £69.

Also picked up an 8gb iPod Touch earlier in the week but managed to get it for £119 (refurb).

I was very surprised how quickly iWork installed, I can only imagine Word/Excel/Powerpoint would be a chore. iWork was on in 5 mins with just a couple of clicks!

Now I realise that I don't need it :lol:

Numbers is pretty poor, tbh. It requires too much use of the mouse.

Pages, on the other hand, is well worth getting familiar with. Once you've moved away from Word, it just feels nature. I love using it to hack out page layouts in an organic way. Somehow it just seems to encourage creativity.

The same goes for Keynote. I use this day in day out in my job - it is an essential tool. And it's just so good. The way the Light Table animates when reorganising slides is just really nice.

Everyone at work is gobsmacked by the fact that I routinely create movies of my presentations - with the audio and slides synced. They're all stuck with PowerPoint and don't realise that Keynote does that in literally a couple of mouse clicks!

dxg, how's your Hackintosh running now?

I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P yesterday and a Lian Li A05b case to put it in, as a start to building my own Mac Pro :)

It is *highly* ironic that you asked that just right now because, about two hours ago, I forgot I was running a hackintosh and clicked the button to update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. A world of hurt ensued. Pics will follow (because I'm that much of a geek)...

Luckily - I had a cloned drive image so I didn't lose any paid-for-software.

Unluckily - my time machine backups wouldn't restore, so I've lost all my customisation over the last couple of months. Fortunately, all my data is on a network share, but now I've to set everything up again. I can't understand why the time machine image - from only a couple fo days ago wouldn't work - that makes the whole thing pointless - it was my lifeline, so to speak.

Unluckily - Superduper crashed when trying to make the cloned image bootable after copying back onto the main drive. < this was a real worry.

Luckily - I reaslised there's a way of cloning disks inside Disk Utility on the Install DVD.

I was almost at the point of thinking I'd have to spend £900 for a slower iMac. :( And I'm beginning to wonder if this is a good idea for piece of mind - but to pay way over the odds, for a slower machine sucks.

Anyway, at least you've bought the right mb - that's pretty much the same as I'm running - I think all the guides are for your version. Also, there's a guide to getting 10.6.2 on insanelymac. I just have to find the time to work through it... Maybe at Christmas...

I think it all went wrong because the 10.6.2 tried to run a 64bit kernel, and I could never get that to work.

It's a real shame because it'd been rock solid until I clikced that button. It'd been regularly worked hard crunching through gigs of video processing with never a problem. Which is why I don't want to buy something slower to replace it.

Anyway, I'm typing this on it now, so all *seems* okay. Now I've got the hassle of installing SPSS, AutoCAD and Revit into Parallels because they weren't on the clone. And that will take ages.... Not as if next week's work depends on Revit or anything!!! Fecksocks!

So, in short, I would recommend you buy two identical hard drives and create a clone of your working image as soon as you get it stable. This is what has saved my bacon on this occasion!

Great - so the hackintosh is toast - getting kernel panics all over the shop, even though it should be fine as all I've done is restore a cloned (byte-for-byte) disk image.

This could end up costing me serious amounts of cash - because there's a genuine copy of CS3 and Parallels on that machine - about £400's worth. As I said above, why did I click the install 10.6.2 button - why, dear God, why?

Anyway, will have to try rebuilding it when I've got some of this fabled time that other people seem to have. Right now, I'm back on the (now - in comparison to the hackintosh - dog slow) macBook because I've got work that *has* to get done for Monday.

If the worst comes to the worst, then I'll upgrade the memory in the mini and use it as my main mac (although DDR3 memory seems to have gone through the roof in the last few months) and use the hackintosh as a Windows7 HTPC (the only plus side of this, is my local transmitter will get Freeview HD in March and I guess the DVB T2 / MPEG4 receivers will come out first for Windows...).

I should be able to get the hackintosh rebuilt from a blank slate, as I was able to do it before. But then, I had a couple of days solid to work at it... These days I just don't have the time. And during the next month, I have a work task (a lot of Revit work) that was going to rely on the power of the hackintosh - another reason why I might have to chuck windows on it - if even just for that month to get that task done...

Options -

£100 memory upgrade on the mini

c. £700 on an unibody macBook. Don't want to do this because my "work" macBook is still working fine.

c. £900 on a iMac. Don't want to do this either because I don't want to pay for the screen, etc. that I don't need.

Either way, I can see my tablet budget going out the window... :( :( :(

Edited by dxg

Apols for the thread hijack, but - thinking this thing over, I have one more option of getting the hackintosh running again (reinstall hacked OS from scratch, then update from the time machine). If that fails, then it's entry-level iMac time (2/3rds the speed of the hackintosh :( ) because I need a reliable solution.

Edited by dxg