Apple Geeks thread 2008...

AndyW

Gonna try and get a intel Mac mini and have a bash at creating some iphone apps. Gimme some simple ideas to try out...

I have the software and some tutorials, registered as a none paying developer.

I do not understand a part of it.

I have the software and some tutorials, registered as a none paying developer.

I do not understand a part of it.

Well it's for developers so that's probably the reason. :thumbsup:

TBH I'd be interested to know too, so don't blame you. I've done CD-ROM authoring, and web, but no doubt I'd be lost too.

I'm currently toying with the idea of a hackintosh.

I need a machine at home as I'm fed up taking my laptop in and out of work everyday - you'd think that work would buy me a laptop but no, not as if I need something to take into lectures or anything.

Anyway, I digress. I waited and waited for the updated mini only to find it massively underwhelming - it's just a macbook.

So, my thoughts have turned to building a hackintosh. Something that would be better than a mini, but using tech that's a year to two years old to keep the costs sensible.

Carefully reading through the osx87project database for the hardware that lokks liek it will work with the least patching, this is what I have come up with:

£187.44 Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

£166.74 Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

£ 68.99 Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 450W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply

£ 50.59 Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

£ 48.29 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (ST3500418AS)

£ 45.99 Gainward GeForce 9400 GT "Silent" 1024MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

£ 42.99 Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX8500D2K2/4G)

£ 16.09 Akasa AK-975CU CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

Sub Total : £545.31

Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:

DPD Next Day Parcel

(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £13.75

VAT is being charged at 15% VAT : £83.86

Total : £642.92

But - the fly in the onitment - Snow Lepoard.

What do you guys think - the above spec is about £100 more than a mini with upgraded disk and memory?

Is is worth it? Worth waiting until Snow Lepoard comes out and someone comes up with a way of making it work.

If it all goes pear-shaped, I'd have a really good WIndows 7 machine, but I don't want one!!

??

Deek.

I thought of building one myself, to use in the office when I've nothing better to be doing. Your mobo isn't the one I'd have picked, but should work all the same. When I'm next on the PC I'll dig out my kit list for you.

I thought of building one myself, to use in the office when I've nothing better to be doing. Your mobo isn't the one I'd have picked, but should work all the same. When I'm next on the PC I'll dig out my kit list for you.

If you could have a look I'd appreciate it.

I used to follow tech stuff but am completely out of touch these days. I just picked a gigabyte board because they all seem to work with os x - but if there are other good options for that chip, I'm *very* interested. (I'm not even sure that's the right mb for that chip - taking a flyer!!)

Deek.

I'm currently toying with the idea of a hackintosh.

I need a machine at home as I'm fed up taking my laptop in and out of work everyday - you'd think that work would buy me a laptop but no, not as if I need something to take into lectures or anything.

Anyway, I digress. I waited and waited for the updated mini only to find it massively underwhelming - it's just a macbook.

So, my thoughts have turned to building a hackintosh. Something that would be better than a mini, but using tech that's a year to two years old to keep the costs sensible.

Carefully reading through the osx87project database for the hardware that lokks liek it will work with the least patching, this is what I have come up with:

£187.44 Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

£166.74 Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

£ 68.99 Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 450W ATX2.2 Modular SLi Compliant Power Supply

£ 50.59 Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

£ 48.29 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (ST3500418AS)

£ 45.99 Gainward GeForce 9400 GT "Silent" 1024MB DDR2 HDTV/DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail

£ 42.99 Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX8500D2K2/4G)

£ 16.09 Akasa AK-975CU CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

Sub Total : £545.31

Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:

DPD Next Day Parcel

(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £13.75

VAT is being charged at 15% VAT : £83.86

Total : £642.92

But - the fly in the onitment - Snow Lepoard.

What do you guys think - the above spec is about £100 more than a mini with upgraded disk and memory?

Is is worth it? Worth waiting until Snow Lepoard comes out and someone comes up with a way of making it work.

If it all goes pear-shaped, I'd have a really good WIndows 7 machine, but I don't want one!!

??

Deek.

Spend the extra. Buy a Macbook. Warranty included (for 2 years if you go via John Lewis)

Spend the extra. Buy a Macbook. Warranty included (for 2 years if you go via John Lewis)

But the above spec should be quite a bit faster than a macbook. I don't need portability so, if I thought that the mini offer value or money and was happy with the speed I would just go for that.

After reading this article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03...i_overhaul.html

I'm thinking I should wait until Snow Leopard is out and someone makes it work on a hacked machine. It's just so far way - June public announcement and then, what an August / September launch, maybe? Not entirely sure I can wait that long...

Jon can 'I' build a Car-iMac?

I really don't want to go back to Microsoft..

Already slightly ahead of you there ;-)

did quite a bit of research a while back into a car-mini. Its been done, it was more a software problem to make it fully a viable option...but that has to be about 18 months ago, so I'd imagine things have moved on. I'll see if I can dig out the info I had.

Seemed a very easy thing to do from what I remember.

Already slightly ahead of you there ;-)

did quite a bit of research a while back into a car-mini. Its been done, it was more a software problem to make it fully a viable option...but that has to be about 18 months ago, so I'd imagine things have moved on. I'll see if I can dig out the info I had.

Seemed a very easy thing to do from what I remember.

Here's what I would do:

dell mini 9 hackintosh (supposed to be easy) = £200

some kind of usb gps receiver = £40ish

leopard license = £80

lilliput 7" touchscreen for installing in the dash = £160ish

put the dell in the boot or under a seat...

not sure about drivers for the touchscreen and the gps on os x, though...

im thinking about getting a mac, as a joint christmas birthday present,

ill obvs get my mate to buy it through the HE store to get it cheaper,

the prices come out for the white macbook at.. £618 and the alluminium one at.. £799

now the thing is is it worth the extra or just to go with the white one?

The base spec Aluminium one is very similar to the white macbook so its pretty much down to whether you prefer the look and think its worth the extra...

Main differences technically are 40gig more hard drive space and the graphics memory has moved to DDR3. Its also slightly lighter.

Personally I'd get the alumimium one, just because I like them better :P

Another Apple update, now got a 1TB Time capsule that I shall be filling with lots of lovely automatic backups :) Tis very pretty lol

I bought Apple Airport Express at the weekend, and some JBL Spot 2.1 Speakers. I love them, my music can be played from wherever I am in my flat from iTunes on my Macbook wirelessly. Genius!!! As for the JBL speakers, I don't think my neighbours like them but I effin' love it when the floor shakes!!!

Yeah I have my apple hi-fi unit connected to airport express, its great.

Can also control music selection with the apple remote application. :shades:

Yeah I have my apple hi-fi unit connected to airport express, its great.

Can also control music selection with the apple remote application. :shades:

Yep, been doing that. It's awesome. Can walk through my door to music playing when I get home from work. Love it. Apple are just genius.

The new safari is still a memory hog on the pc so it looks like its just a graphic shell for the old browser.

And some good news for mac users google picasa is not available on mac http://picasa.google.com/mac/

I'm not really liking the new Safari. The fact it remembers your 'favourite' websites is pretty cool but that's about it. Any browser will struggle to beat Firefox in my opinion.

Thanks for that link to Picasa, just had a play and looks quite impressive! It's only a small file (size wise) so worth having for anyone I think. I love how it doesn't want to interfere with iPhoto.