Jacko's 1.8T Lupo Build

jacko1066

Hi Guys

I have been reading OLW thread on his 1.8T conversion so i thought i might as well carry on the trend setting and post my progress upon here. My loop at the moment is a gti and going to convert it to a 1.8T AGU engine from the Golf GTi.

I recently purchased a Damaged golf GTI , The Golf has now been fully stripped and the engine is out Ready to put some nice little aftermarket bits on. Hopefully the loop engine will be out soon and for sale this should be done 1st week of the new year.

Here is a couple of pics of my loop as it was before the start of the conversion

lupo1.jpg

P1010513.jpg

Update at the moment is that i have had the front bumper chopped off (as you can see it was bleanded in) to make it a lot more easier to see how the enigne will sit in the lupo before doing the fabricating of the chassis legs and other things

The parts i have got so far for my conversion are

Engine AGU

Full Loom

ECU

Gearbox

Clocks

ignition and Keys

and various other bits already on the gti

280mm discs

Uprated Pads

New timing belt

Oil

Although i have recently purchased a DTA management system which i might be using to plumb into the original wiring loom , This may save time on a few other bits so the golf ecu and clocks may not be needed and might be up for sale pretty soon

The parts that i need to get to finish my conversion are

A new Turbo either IHI VF34 or Garret GT28R Dependant on how far i want to go with it

Tubular manifold to suit

Full Custom exhaust system inc downpipe , Flexi etc

Front mount intercooler

Radiator

440cc/475cc Injectors

Air Filter

3/4 Bar Map sensor

All neccesary Bolts gaskets , Oil feed , banjos etc

Head skim and check

Strengthen the chassis

custom driveshafts

Uprated anti roll bar and bushes

Uprated Clutch

LSD

S3 Fuel pump

4 bar pressure reg

The advantage with having the DTA management system is that you can run the car how you want it to as the guy who is fitting the engine and the bits for me has the software for us to basically make custom maps for the vehicle and also will not need a maf sensor as this management sytem can be programmed where it can bypass the air flow meter and lambada sensors

The only problems we should come across is the same as what OLW has mentioned in his thread the mounting of the engine

The car will mainly only be used for show purposes , advertisement for my shop and days out at the pod but still want to make it reliable and not aim too high in bhp figures so we wont have to replace pistons and rods at this moment in time Aiming to have the conversion finished by the end of Feb

Wish me luck !

Edited by Tigz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which potential you cant use as the car doesnt have enough weight in it to get any more than 300bhp down onto the road , even still with 300bhp it would be more than a handfull in a car that would weigh about 900kg

Cheers guys for the good luck :)

Im going to see what the 5 speed box fits like out of the golf 1st if not then i will be going for the g60 box

The car is a gti i bought it damaged repairable and just fitted the wide arches to it to compensate for the 9" wide rims on the rear. Also you will have noticed the lights arent xenons which they should be as i didnt fancy paying dealer prices for the xenons and bulbs :lol:

with the management im going to try different types of boost levels for the bhp to see what it can handle for driving on the roads and for track days hopefully for track days it should see a minimum of 350bhp and below 300bhp for road use as we all its hard putting the wheels down in such a light car

Will keep ypu updated

what ECU you going for ?? im just going to rip out the 1litres full loom and replace it with the 20vT one so i can get away with just running the 20vT ECU etc . as for wanting to be able to switch power levels , STAR performance up here do a remap option of that you have have a switch thats linked to the ECU and you can jump between maps

as for the mounting of the engine mate have i have found out is that the 20vT's have a front engine mount that we simply dont have . HOWEVER to get this engine mount fabricated mitch has said you can use a VR6 front cross member , shorten it by 7inches and then it will mount to our chasis legs . to mount it to the chasis legs on the underside of the chasis leg there is a hole in it , weld a nut in there and you can bolt the cross member onto it and vola one front cross member and a front engine mount :D

Thanks for the advice on the front engine mount that will definitley come in handy and would help to strenghten the loop as it will need it

The Ecu i am using is a DTA management one which can do allsorts such as launch control anti lag etc if i wanted to use them. I might still be able to use some of the lupo's loom with this DTA ecu for the clocks etc, but i have the full wiring loom from the golf still just incase

I like the sound of the remap done by star. its an option if my guy cant do it

Hes more based on the vauxhall side but has a great knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical inc setting the mapping up on various vehicles like my friends 450bhp nova

and also his corsa C which he has put a 2.0 T VXR engine in which should be pushing 500bhp once finished. And he really knows his stuff when it comes to DTA systems

Cheers for the advice again on the front engine mount

Edited by jacko1066