1.6 16V Lupo GTI Turbo engine In Progress... (MK4 Golf)

veedubdude

Yeah bud, I cant wait to get it mapped up and see the difference!

Well your bits are spread far and wide as this engine is going into a golf mk4! Lol :)

Well managed to get her all timed up, followed by the little pin for the pulley placement on the crank sprocket breaking off! Luckily had a spare one from my old engine but meant re-timing it etc. So then with a few extra ancillaries bolted on it was getting late and I decided to leave putting the engine in until tomorrow morning!

Yes!!! She started up no problems! :D

Cant believe it Im so chuffed! The next stage is to see how long she lasts... But for now lets keep positive!

And of course, some pics:

All the ancillaries going on...

SP_A0130.jpg

Followed by the wiring loom...

SP_A0134.jpg

Radiator, and everything else connected...

SP_A0135.jpg

And the manifold starting to turn bronze already with the heat!

SP_A0136.jpg

So now the hard work begins! I skipped a lot of detailing because I was eager to know she would start, and to get her to inters (wheels and MOT now needed...!). So the next thing is to start tidying up the engine bay, and detailing! Things like the alternator and engine mounts will all be getting polished, along with red silicone hoses etc... But that will be a work in progress!

So the current engine spec is basically a lupo GTi without VVT; lightened, balanced and knife edged internals; lupo sport cams; lightened flywheel; stainless mani and full custom exhaust w/ sports cat! Anyone fancy guessing what the BHP will be after she's mapped eventually??!

Edited by veedubdude

Looking fantastic!

Nice work mate, impressed at the speed its come together. My three year build is starting to apear silly lol

Have the Golf boys and girls come round to the conversion yet?

Cheers guys! There is a few more golf people coming around, but its mainly the 1.4 and 1.6 guys who are interested! I think if she #hopefully# gets some half decent quarter mile times then it may get some more recognition!

Tigz, yours may have taken 3 years, but look at it! Its inch perfect! I cant wait to see at some shows when its finally running!

If she gets 140bhp after the live map Ill be happy, anything over that will be a welcome bonus!

Anywhere close to 200bhp and Id be ecstatic! Might need nitrous to help her up to that... He he he ;)

i fort u was putting a nitrus kit onto it ? are you gonna be running high compression boost or low boost? looks stunning under the bonnet ,,, think i may need 2 put my shades on :shades: haha! :P

oh right yeah easy 160bhp ! good luck with everything else! are you gonna have to run forged pistons for when u get nitrus or u just going to run a little shot? would be very nice 2 see it with nitrus

At first Im going to run a 20 shot or so, and if all goes well I should be acquiring a progressive controller off a mate to make it higher ;)

Picked up some new wheels this morning, but Im waiting until after inters to post a pic :P

i would like 2 know how much tho cranks and pistons can take ! im expecting they would be good too about 200bhp or so ! :shades:

Well paulbin (the 1.4 16V supercharged) is running apprix. 180? I think it is, and they're 100 standard. So with the GTi internals being 125, I reckon at least 200bhp. With the ARP rod bolts, Id take her up to about 225 on standard internals and see how she goes!

Only time will tell...

Edited by veedubdude

good luck to you mate ,,, yeah would be very nice too see how long the standard internals last ! urmmm may have 2 pull my engine out this weekend :coffee:

• 4 months later...

I ended up running her on a set of Schmidt TH lines for GTI international, but those are now long gone, and she is sitting on a set of OZ superturismos. Once again she is back off the road after a few months of fun. I never got round to remapping her as Ive got plans for supercharging instead of the turbo.

P1050163.jpg

04.jpg

Inters08-2.jpg

Inters08.jpg

SP_A0159.jpg

Andy :)

SJGH 21 - I got the seats off ebay, they're fibreglass caterham seats. There was a guy selling them who made them, but I think he's stopped at the moment - I had to email him to get him to list another pair. I got them ages ago now, and cant find his details though, sorry bud!

alice - turbo or supercharger are both the same really apart from the way they are connected to the engine, so its not that much of a hassle to change them round. :)

willcrook - Im not keen on the schmidts either, hecne why they went so fast! Dont think they suited the car at all - looks far too 'show' and not enough 'race' for my liking :D I haven't had it weighed yet, as Ive got a lot more plans for reducing weight, but I estimate Ive removed over 100kgs, which should put the car as weighing 925kg or less - my aim is 850kg or less! Needs to be light as poss to make the 1.6 engine effective up against the 1.8T boys!

Tigz - Cheers bud, and surprisingly a lot of people say that when they first see it! lol

So the winter plans - the shell is getting stripped right back, for some bodywork. Ive got some steel which Im making a JIG with, so I can start replacing some of the floors with ali or carbon fibre sheet - depends on price and money available at the time! I also want to get some external body mods done like smoothing the doors and boot down etc. The weight it'll add is minimal, but I want to go for a race look that also has some 'show' elements in it. The fuel tank is getting relocated onto the new boot floor, to help bring some weight back; and Im trying to find someone breaking a 4mo without rear impact so that I can steal the rear subframe and cut the boot floor out, to give me proper control of the rear wheels instead of the fixed frame that is on there at the moment. This will also help with future plans of 4x4 but like I say that is way off in the future!

Main differences that will be noticeable is the cage is going, its a show cage at the moment so is doing nothing apart from slowing me down!! I haven't decided whether a full custom cage will take its place yet...

And Im still toying with the idea of going up to 18s... but increasing from 215/35/17 tyres to 215/35/18 will increase my rolling radius by 4.4%, which will fill my arches better, but will slow me down slightly... but when the engine is finished is that 4.4% going to be noticeable with 200 or so bhp??? Who knows??? Because I dont, lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Righty ho, the golf is back! I didnt get much done to it over winter unfortunately, being distracted by the daily E30! But now she is back on the road I finally got round to getting the engine remapped without the turbo.

So, she is producing 149.1bhp now! Unfortunately my ECU could only be raised to 6400RPM as the golf mk4 ECU wont accomodate more than this :( So on an ECU that is capable of 8000RPM the power should continue, the graph is literally a straight line right up until it hits the limiter. Should find nother 5-6bhp as well, as my induction kit is placed straight on the engine, and is getting red hot! Whilst I knew this, I didnt have enough pipe to feed it any cold air, so had to make-do today!

My engine spec is: Lupo GTi bottom end, lightened, balanced, knife edged and assembled with APR rod bolts; Lupo sport cams; 4-2-1 mani, sports cat and full SS exhaust; green cotton induction kit; Lupo GTi fuel rail and injectors; lightened flywheel; and blocked EGR valve.

Next plans are to fully wrap the mani, fit a pipercross CAI, and then RR again to see what it gives!

And Ive got to give a shout out to ChippedUK, who are absolutely excellent! They know exactly what they do, and the way they work is excellent. The engine was warmed up for 15-20 mins before each power run, and then cooled down for 10 mins after. This was everytime they tried a new tweaked map, no shortcuts; and emissions where taken too to ensure the engine was running correctly! I was thoroughly impressed, and would recomend them to anyone wanting a remap! The price is £304 for the remap (20% off during february), plus £40 for the dyno time, so comes in at £344 at the moment.

When I get access to a scanner Ill get a pic of the power graph up, plus some pictures of her on the dyno!

And 6400RPM sounds like heaven :D

Pics of the new wheels, BBS CH 17 * 8.5, with 215/35/17 front, and 225/35/17 rear :D Managed to grab a few of last sets out of the BBS warehouse, and a HUGE thanks to Rimstyle who sorted the order out, and were absolutely top class!

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

And some at ChippedUK:

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

And a quick video, very quiet due to the dyno being sealed and me using a camera phone, but you've got to hear it just before it hits the limiter ;)

th_MOV_0004.jpg

Enjoy! Comments welcome! :)

Edited by veedubdude