1.6 16V Lupo GTI Turbo engine In Progress... (MK4 Golf)

veedubdude

Just as an add-on; some other guys didnt realise the 149.1 BHP is at the wheels, not the flywheel like the figures from VW.

So comparatively, using an estimate of 15% power loss through the transmission (which it is impossible to get accurate unless you physically remove the engine and bolt it to a dyno) she is running around the 171 BHP mark compared to VWs standard figures as quoted on the cars when new. Personally I'm extremely chuffed with this considering the original lupo GTi engine is only 125BHP!

Ill add a pic of the dyno graph when I eventually take a pic of it!

:)

'Pics of the new wheels, BBS CH 17 * 8.5, with 215/35/17 front, and 225/35/17 rear Managed to grab a few of last sets out of the BBS warehouse, and a HUGE thanks to Rimstyle who sorted the order out, and were absolutely top class!'

How many did they have, i didnt know they did 17" version!

• Like 1

Dude it looked the part when you came round a few weeks back. I love the simplicity of the interior, its mint!

Impressed with the increase you got from the engine. Thats a good rebuild for you!

Do you have the part number off hand for the ARP bottom end bolts? i still need to get mine and im off to pick up my bottom end from my workshop on tuesday so i can pick them up if there in stock.

John

Cheers bud! :) I cannot wait to see yours on the road and what it produces! If I get a chance would love to have a ride in it when its finished!

I cant remember the part number for the rod bolts, but they're for a Ford CVH engine. Let me have a look through my photos and see if I can spot the exact number for you...

I think there an M10 with 1.5 pitch and a 65mm shank. can you confirm as ive got some of these on order, but if there wrong then ill get them swapped!

They only come in 12 point stainless steel bolts? part number is 772-1013??

John

I honestly cant remember the spec dude, and the only photo Ive got the old crank is covering the part number, lol!

They are 100% definitely the same as the Ford CVH big end bolts though! ;) They're still listed on page 1 of this build, as I got the info from blackrat!

Edited by veedubdude

Sorry bud Im in a world of my own!

I just used the standard lupo GTi bolts, but nice new ones from VW. I was in a rush to get the engine back together and couldnt find the right crank pedestal bolts from ARP. I was planning on replacing them with ARP when I dropped the sump to put the turbo inlet flange into it! And since then Ive completely forgotten about them... lol!

Why will you have to have the block honed because of bottom end ARP bolts? If you find the part number for them then pass them onto me! :D

I was thinking if you end up losing the GTi ECU and going standalone, give me a PM, as I may need one at some point ;)

Already posted the part number above mate, only one i can find, it comes in a 12 poing SS bolt though - but i think ill just get a new VW set as the OEM bolts are fairly chunky anyhow.

Im told because when you change the bolts, the clamping force through using a different material bolt and different torque figure can change the cap profile so they need to be line honed in situ

Personally when the end cap meets the face in the block i cant see it moving. But from reading about, there seems to be quite a bit about getting it line honed when going to ARP bolts.

I dont need ARP rod bolts... ive got carrillio CARR bolts :P

john

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, Kalai97 said:

Hi there I'm planing to fit a turbo on my 1.6 16V MK4 Golf. In your opinion i was wondering if its a good idea and should i use the same parts you used on your project. Plus do you if there is a way to convertine to AWD?

As it has the same chassis as a Audi TT, I'd look in that direction for parts but seems a lot of work for limited advantage