Arosa 1.4 16v Sport - My Trackday Project

driveforward

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those LED strips are pure ultra lightweight bling! Only weigh about 100g for the pair.

I just loved having a go with the angle grinder, theres something about the smell of ferrous metal dust and streams of sparks! Makes you feel alive!

Noise!

Using my new toy (noise meter) I now have a huge weight lifted off my mind..!

The Arosa produces 84DBa at 4500 rpm, and when revving from idle to the red line it tops out dead on 95DBa.

Phew.. All clear for the 'ring then :D

Stay tuned over the next few days, a transformation is underway!

Bumper Weekend!

..indeed. This weekend I've concentrated on finishing modelling the front and rear bumpers - something I started back in January but was then put on hold when my deliveries started coming through.

Saturday was spent filling and then smoothing the front and rear bumpers:

sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

sat3.jpg

sat4.jpg

Sunday involved masking and then priming the newly filled sections of bumper, and also sealing the spoiler on properly and priming around it. Then I clay bar-ed the entire car after washing it in order to remove the overspray from the cage painting and the general crud that's accumulated over recent months (rusty metal filings included - left over from cage fitting and wheel well enlargement). Finally, I fitted the new rear light clusters (free from damp), centre caps for the alloys, and then marked out a few things for tomorrow ;)

She's looking better..!

sun1.jpg

sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

sun4.jpg

More updates tomorrow if I have time! ;)

Edited by driveforward

Time to Get the Look!

Following my efforts at the weekend, my Arosa is now spending most of this week at my local branch of SignsExpress in Worcester, whilst they perform the finishing touches to complete the track slag look!

That's right, this car isn't being painted; but vinyl wrapped ;)

This should help preserve my bumper modifications performed with normal body filler, whilst providing a durable, easily replaceable and deep finish to the exterior. I'm not going to divulge everything, but from these work in progress pics I think you'll get a good idea of the OEM+ racer look that I'm going for..!

Silver matching:

wip1.jpg

Spot what's new:

wip2.jpg

No? Ok then, look again:

wip3.jpg

A bit more done:

wip4.jpg

Superb colour match:

wip5.jpg

Front almost done:

wip6.jpg

;)

Me likes :yes:

Edited by driveforward

Good idea, and looks like they've done an excellent job. Do they heat up the vinyl to make it more pliable? Getting it to go round all the complex curves must be tough work!

The black vinyl is very glossy - equally the same as a paint job with a good clear coat on it. They do use heat to help stretch and stick the vinyl into place. I don't yet know about scratching, but they're using the toughest vinyl they can get hold of so I figure it's not going to be any worse than a swirled paint job after some time.

The finish is good, but there are imperfections unlike from a paint job. However, this will help support all of the body filled bumpers, be a tough skin on the car and works out much cheaper than having roof/spoiler/front bumper/rear bumper all sprayed up. It's still costing many hundreds of pounds though so don't think it's a £50 option.

I'm not sure how much the roof is costing on its own given I'm having a fair bit more than that done, but I would imagine you'd be looking at around £100.

Of course one, slightly more permanent option if you're turning it into a proper track car would be to take moulds off the existing bumpers and make up some GFRP or even better (if you like paying £60per meter for material) CFRP bumpers.

Suited & Booted!

Wow, what a difference 7 days can make! During this time, the car has been vinyl wrapped by my local www.signsexpress.co.uk/worcester branch, I've cut/bent/fitted the aluminium chequerplate in the foot wells, and the Arosa now has 5 new boots (Goodyear GSD3's) and is full of gizmos and essentials ready for the Autobahns ahead!

Almost 3 months to the day and many thousands of pounds later, I'd like to announce that the initial development of my Arosa Trackday Project is complete :D Many people scoffed at the deadline and the list of tasks to be done, all I can say is: abandon 3 months of your life and anything's possible!!

There are a few outstanding items:

- New brake pads - cheers F2 Stu! - (may get fitted this week - I attempted fitting but for the life of me could not get the piston pushed back, I'll now hand this job to a professional to see if he has better luck/knowledge!). I've changed the dscs and pads on several cars, not least our other Arosa 16v, but this muddy gal put up too much of a fight :(

- Battery relocation (I have the cable and the box section for a mount, just not quite sure where it's gonna go!!)

I'll see how things go on these, but for now, the mad rush is over and it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labour! On the 21st March I'll be at the Nurburgring in Germany.. I can't wait as the car just feels superb to drive. The responsiveness, feedback and performance is great.. it'll never set any lap records, but I'll have a bloody good time trying!

Enjoy this pics! (There are many!)

ext1.jpg

ext2.jpg

ext3.jpg

ext4.jpg

ext5.jpg

ext6.jpg

ext7.jpg

ext8.jpg

ext9.jpg

ext10.jpg

ext11.jpg

ext12.jpg

ext13.jpg

ext14.jpg

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

Edited by driveforward

congrats on getting it done mate, especially to your tight deadline, bet your well chuffed! its good to see it finished, looks well good! cant wait to see your pics and to see how fast one of these can get round the 'ring!

Thanks for all the comments! I'm certainly very happy indeed - it's turned out just how I had imagined!

I've got to thank all those that have helped, Stu and Mark from SEATCupra.Net and Dan on ClubLupo.. It's been fun but would I recommend doing so much in so little time? Never!!

Andrew: No probs, glad you got what you needed. Sorry I missed you today, but like everything since this project started - it was a mad rush!!