Change panel

How difficult is it to change the panel that is behind the driver's side door - is it welded or just screwed on? :? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Had a major issue at the weekend while changing rear wheel - used standard lupo jack to lift up the loop, but it failed spectaculary as I had my back turned. The car fell and the jack dug into the panel.

:x

As the car is lowered also, had to get my mates to lift the car up as the trolley jack was too tall!!

:cry:

:shock:

bad luck mate!!

Were you using the proper jacking point?? If so, I'd talk to VW about it!

Trick with trolley jacks and lowered cars is to drive on to a couple of bits of wood first (tip used when installing essexloop's coilovers).

Yup, it was the proper jacking point.

VW said that as the car is not under warranty, neither is the jack. The jack didn't slip, it just broke!!

I managed to push out most of the dent from inside, but there are 2 really deep dents at the bottom of the panel where the threaded parts of the jack dug in.

There's no way these can be removed, even by a pro.

Any ideas? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Did you speak to a VW dealer or customer care?

I think it's silly that they won't help you in this situation - looks like there was something fundamentaly wrong with the jack. You could try customer care on 01908 601 611 and see what they say...

Otherwise it looks like a bodyshop job sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm guessing they look something like this?

If so, then I recon they'd look good if you got the rest of the kit - might look a bit daft on their own.

If you're going to go down that route, make sure you put rust inhibitor on the affected area, and make sure no bare metal is left exposed! (although I'm sure I don't need to tell you that).

• 2 weeks later...

Phoned Customer care who said take it to dealer.

Dealer took a couple of pics and said they couldn't do anything as car was out of warranty (fair enough). Suggested that I give CC a call again.

Was told that given the age of the car, VW could not help at all. The car is 5years and 2months old. VW will only give goodwill to cars less than 5 years.

I asked what they would do if this happened 2 months earlier - "Chances are we would have helped!" evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" />

Bloody crap customer service - even the dealer was surprised.

Moral of this story: Test your jack thoroughly on something other than your lupo first and NEVER ask VW for anything. They are SH*T!

evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" /> evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" />

GTis don't have jacks - has to be a trolley jack really (cos of the sideskirts).

@dbmonkey, that is really harsh - 2 months, and seems to be a serious original fault.

Under the sale of goods act, you have up to *6* years, not 5 where the retailer (whoever sold the car in the first place) can be liable.

Mention this and they may change their tune, but by the sound of it you'll be lucky to get them to.

lol @ john I know I have a gti!

i was getting at this.... the point is VW (group) are possibly liable if it was the jack that was supplied with the car and it did not do as described i.e. support the car. Therefore you should be able to claim back via the small claims court.

Not sure if your mods would affect the use of the jack though.

Apparantley there is a lot of difference in two months -

The woman's words "VW has a policy that under no circumstances will VW offer any Goodwill for vehicle over 5 years old"

Oh well. :cry:

I take it the rear 1/4 panel needs to be cut out, not unbolted??

agree with john they may well help if they knew your course of action

hmmm 5 years seems an odd number to pick but then this is different to goodwill - this is a fault of the jack that was supplied, it should not break after 5 years so it must be a manufacture fault (if it was used correctly), so they should be very willing to help

watchdog!