Cruise control on 1.4 TDI's

It does seem to look similar doesnt it! Hopefully it will be a nice easy fit.

Id love cruise on mine too, so im interested in the outcome of this.

Have you figured out how to get the cruise working once you get the stalk?

If only it was as easy as fitting to our caravelle, just fit, plug, program and play!

Not sure how we can directly compare the two though?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some one on here as actually fitted the cruise control but without the stalk, so would be a case of asking which ports on the ecu do the connections go to

i think its only 4 wires, BUT the lupo DOESNT have the loom so will have to add it but this is not a prob as it can be bought from a site that has been posted before......

yes how do we compare without having to strip down the entire col....

maybe i could email a seller on ebay whos currently breaking one hehe see if he could send me the pics, worth a shot i think

Right, emailed about 10 companies on ebay and a few other places and no one seems to want to help. so tomorrow im goin to take my steering wheel off and just check my self as it seems to be the easiest option at the mo so hopefully will have a couple of pics up 2moz showing wots wots

SUCCESS!!!!!!

i think i have cracked it took all my indicator stalk of earlier and took a few pics and from i can seem there the same! which is a result.

25062008015.jpg

25062008018.jpg

25062008016.jpg

25062008017.jpg

Got to get my ecu code then find out the numbers for the connections! will be ordering the stalk this weekend so should get it over the weekend "hopefully" all functions will be ok on it

Because they dont, LOL

i phoned them hoping to get some "advise" but they were like well its a very hard job that will take a long time because the loom isnt present ETC BLAH BLAH. The Guy i spoke to didnt actually say that he DONT do it but he wasnt saying that he would do mine and came across that they werent sure at all how to do it. Said something like the guy that tried it struggled to much so didnt finish it or something like that.

also Why spend the £351.00 + Fuel to travel to Surrey, for them to "maybe" install it without the stalk?

surely completeing and installing your self is better i belive that its much better as then i know how the job is done properly also only costs me in parts, fair enough you have to do alot of research which i still have got to do on the ecu part of things but once its done it will be GREAT knowing that i done it my self also cost me a 1/4 of the price as well!

in a ideal world where i have not got to worry about the pennies then yes i would pay some one else to do it.

Good work! I've been meaning to put cruise on mine for months now; in fact today I finally got round to doing the wiring from the ECU! It's actually not that hard if you've got a steady hand. The way to do it is exactly as 'Mr Biscuit' says in the other thread :shades:

I'm going to test it with just a couple of push switches as soon as I get a vag-com cable to activate cruise control.

As you can imagine I'm really interested to see whether the stalk fits...

Good work! I've been meaning to put cruise on mine for months now; in fact today I finally got round to doing the wiring from the ECU! It's actually not that hard if you've got a steady hand. The way to do it is exactly as 'Mr Biscuit' says in the other thread :shades:

I'm going to test it with just a couple of push switches as soon as I get a vag-com cable to activate cruise control.

As you can imagine I'm really interested to see whether the stalk fits...

Thats good then, what year is you tdi as mine a 04 and was hoping that it will be the same as the other thread to wire in but was goin to check any chance of some pictures?

Mines an 04 too (click my signature for readers rides). I've disassembled the ECU plug to remove the IDC terminals, made up a temporary loom, and in the morning I'm going to thread it through the bulkhead and put the new wires into the ECU plug. Ill take some pics for you :)

Mines an 04 too (click my signature for readers rides). I've disassembled the ECU plug to remove the IDC terminals, made up a temporary loom, and in the morning I'm going to thread it through the bulkhead and put the new wires into the ECU plug. Ill take some pics for you :)

Nice work Jon ;)

So, when we doing mine :D:lol:

Just the stalk and i think it the lead to connect it to the existing wiring, as far as i can remember.

Although i will say, we bought it from ebay, it was advertised as a caravelle cruise stalk, but the box is huge, so im not 100% sure if its the right box? What else does the part number description come up with?

And by the sounds of it, we paid more than VW charge! Nothing new there then! :lol:

Although a kit may just mean the stalk.

Edited by cardaft

Cruise control wiring, take 1:

Make up test loom including 2 random push-to-make switches you have lying around:

P1010703.jpg

Feed the wire through a hole in the bulkhead, above the clutch pedal. On the engine-bay side there is a large hole with a blank grommet, to the right of the master cylinder. here it is with the grommet removed:

P1010713.jpg

You can actually see light through this hole of you look carefully:

P1010718.jpg

There is actually another smaller hole to the left of this big hole, there was no blanking plug in it which I thought was odd, so I decided to feed the wire through there instead of cutting up the larger grommet.

P1010715.jpg

I chose to feed the wire through the rubber plug into the plenum chamber? under the scuttle panel. I removed some of the black tape to pierce the hole. I'll replace the tape to make it look neater after I've finished.

P1010705.jpg

Next I threaded the new loom through the existing plastic trunking for that factory finish look (it took a while!)

Now remove the left hand ECU plug by sliding out the slider behind where the wires enter the plug (hard to explain but you'll know after you've done it once). Snip the black cable tie, then prise off the cover from the end where the wires enter. It should now look like this:

P1010706.jpg

Flip the plug over and remove the purple t-piece using a screwdriver, like in these pics:

P1010707.jpg

P1010708.jpg

Pull this out taking care not to snap it:

P1010710.jpg

Gently pull on the top layer or wires to remove the plug. Insert a jewellers screwdriver as shown to straighten the retaining lug:

P1010711.jpg

Slide out the connector:

P1010712.jpg

Solder connections onto loom and insert them into the plug. The soldering isn't as bad as it looks, honestly!

P1010724.jpg

P1010722.jpg

Now it should look something like this:

P1010725.jpg

Refit the cover on the plug and put everything back together. Make sure none of the wiring is anywhere near any hot or moving parts. On the other side in the car, I cable tied the loom to the wire that goes to the clutch pedal switch, to keep it away from the pedal mechanisms. The wire can be seen in the top left of this pic:

P1010704.jpg

Switches in temporary position in the dashboard:

P1010726.jpg

I just need to activate it with vag com, then I can test it :)

EDIT: I activated it with vag-com using and it worked a treat :D

Edited by jon_273

heres a couple of images of my installation of the stalk

30062008022.jpg

30062008023.jpg

picture to show how the colours change on the plug you get in the kit

30062008024.jpg

heres where i have left the cables while i suss a place to run them through to the ecu

Nice work guys.

Great guide Jon, those pics are pretty much exactly how I did mine.

I'm wanting that cruise stalk, good work gazza / cardaft finding that compatible stalk.

To enable cruise is really simple once you've got vag com, it can be done with the trial version I think.

From Ross tech Enable cruise

Activating Cruise Control on a new ECU (DBW):

Factory fresh ECU's often come with cruise control de-activated. If this is the case, there will not be a letter "G" in the Component field of VAG-COM when connected to the Engine.

[select]

[01 - Engine]

[Login - 11]

Enter 11463 to activate cruise control

[Do It!]

After doing this procedure, there should be a letter "G" in the Component field.

Switch connections & cruise can be tested by reading some measuring blocks, as per my previous posts.

Anything I can help with let me know.

Phil