The VW Up! Space

dxg

So, this is the second of the three Up! concepts, released today at the Tokoyo Motor Show.

It's just a five-door verions of the Up! rather than the micro-mirco-bus concept that people had been hinting at previously...

vw_up_space_tokyo_026.jpg

vw_tokyo_concept_03.jpg

vw_tokyo_concept_01.jpg

vw_up_space_tokyo_001.jpg

vw_tokyo_concept_02.jpg

Bit of a let down, tbh.

Deek.

Edited by dxg

I like the look of it, but would only buy one if it came exactly as they are showing it, white dash etc. Not so sure about having white door cards unless they are plastic and can be wiped clean! I have 4 (soon to be 5) dogs to cart about, they love the lupo but haven't half made a mess of the back windows

VOLKSWAGEN SPACE UP! CONCEPT UNVEILED AT TOKYO MOTOR SHOW

The Tokyo Motor Show today saw the debut of the space up! – the latest concept vehicle to join the Volkswagen up! small car family.

The space up! takes its inspiration from the up! concept vehicle which was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show last month. Modest external dimensions belie the vehicle’s versatility. Its spacious interior features four individual seats, three of which can either be folded or removed completely to allow for up to 1,005 litres of luggage space.

Access to the boot area in confined spaces is made easier through the adoption of a pair of side hinging rear doors intersected by a Volkswagen roundel. As with the up! concept the space up! features a translucent panel at the rear into which are set the car’s high-intensity LED brake lights.

The space up! concept was penned by a team led by Chief Designer of the Volkswagen Group, Walter de Silva. It shares many traits in common with the up! including the simple, cohesive lines running through the vehicle. In the space up! the wheelbase extended to 2,560 mm to improve interior space while each of the 165/50 R18 wheels is pushed as far into each corner of the vehicle as possible. The overall length of the space up! grows by 230 mm and the height by 40 mm when compared with the up! concept. Despite the gains in size the space up! is still 150 mm shorter in length than the current smallest Volkswagen model, the Fox.

Walter de Silva commented: ‘The space up! offers maximum space on the smallest of platforms. Despite the character of the car we have avoided superfluous gimmicks of any kind. This has created a very confident design.’

As with the up! concept, the space up! features a small compartment at the rear for an engine – be it petrol, diesel or electric. Above this space is a luggage area which is complemented by the addition of a further stowage cubby under the bonnet. This space can be extended through a removable panel in the passenger footwell to allow for awkward loads.

The simplistic approach to the exterior design is reflected in the vehicle’s interior. Access is granted through unique butterfly doors hinged on the A and C pillars allowing for uninterrupted access to the front and rear seats. Clean surfaces are joined by intuitive and highly advanced touchscreen panels through which both climate and entertainment functions can be accessed. The screen in front of the driver relays information on the vehicle’s critical systems as well as instantaneous readings of the levels of CO2 being emitted by the vehicle.

Development of production versions of the up! family of vehicles is already underway with the aim of bringing a road-going version to the market before the end of the decade.

(ends)

The A2 is a far better looking car than this.

The space up! looks like an extended wardrobe. A box with wheels.

The only thing i like is the rear lights in the tailgate glass and the steering wheel, that looks cool. But wouldnt you have thought they would have put the badge under the wiper, how is the wiper supposed to work!

I hope this is going to be cheap when it comes out, it certainly looks it! :huh:

I like it more than the Up! version 1. It adds a bit of scale to the height and wheel size.

On the "it looks like a van" aspect, it is bound to - haven't you all noticed it's the only way to make the most of the floorplan? Nissan Cube, Diahatsu new thing just like it etc etc. It's the urban vehicle future. At the speeds we're managing in the urban environment, it's OK; you don't need low and sleek.

I'm putting my bet on the third version being a reworking of the Manta Ray beach buggy!

Edited by IDGM

On the "it looks like a van" aspect, it is bound to - haven't you all noticed it's the only way to make the most of the floorplan? Nissan Cube, Diahatsu new thing just like it etc etc. It's the urban vehicle future. At the speeds we're managing in the urban environment, it's OK; you don't need low and sleek.

I can see the point in a van shape, thats not what i dont like, its just horrible and looks really cheap to me, although if its going to be cheap to buy (knowing VW it probably wont be!) then that will be fine.

TBH I think I prefer the Cube.

I agree ;)

They've been bandying around prices of £4000-£5000 for a basic Up! 3-door. So yes, cheap ^_~

I think this is much more focused at the middle/far eastern markets, as opposed to the european market, although it'll probably replace the Fox anyway. For a start, it'll be built closer to home!

I think anyone looking for something classy should be casting their eye at the Audi A1, which is starting to look very sexy:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...oncept_preview/

Mhmm..

Sorry, are all these cars too big for you guys? ^_~

The front of the A1 reminds me of the Daihatsu Copen, no idea why!

The videos of the space Up! make it look really narrow, when the women opens up the front it barely looks the width of 2 people!

I dont think its as ugly as everyone is saying, but its certainly no looker